• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Guy here - Feeling Overwhelmed!

SRG89

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/7/18
Hi Guys,

New to the forum.

I've only recently became aware of what I would consider to be 'high end' reps as it were - previous to this I thought they were all the same cheap knock offs you bought on holiday. Plus I've always been a bit snobby when it comes to replicas, thinking i'd never own one.

Fast forward 5 years and I just can't justify having 8,9 or 10k sitting on my wrist anymore considering how good some of these reps are. I'm going to be getting a Rolex (another reason I've come to the rep side is due to the ridiculous waiting lists and grey market prices).

I am looking for what I would consider to be the nearest to perfect rep I can find - not in particular one certain model, more interested in how close to gen I can get it. This is where I'm feeling overwhelmed! I mean, I am reading in the forums but feel like a lot of the stuff goes over my head and you have to be a watch maker to understand some of it!
I'm not too sure where the best place to start researching would be for instance; for instance I have no clue at all about movements.

I have been tempted a few times to get something like the ARF SD43 as general consensus is that this is one of the best; that being said I wouldn't be confident in getting it in fear of being called out on it as I wouldn't know exactly what was wrong with it.

Any tips or pointers as to where to start in my journey to become an expert would be much appreciated!

Thanks all in advance for your advice!

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Just keep reading and entering search terms as a way to dissect the forum. You can find yourself getting pretty deep into rabbit holes, but that's usually the best way to learn -- plus it opens you up to things you likely never expected (and costing you more money haha). Just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time is the only way to consume the immense amount of information. Welcome and best of luck!

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
SRG89 first welcome!

Second, who is going to call you out? Unless you stroll into an AD flashing it around (which is frowned upon here) no one will ever be able to call you out. Plus, who cares if they do? My office manager still thinks I wear a gen Sub-C but I told her straight away it was fake, but she totally was like "yeah sure whatever" she didn't believe me when I told her it was fake. Plus as you wade further into the hobby you will see no one cares about your watch. And if they do, they won't say anything. No one ever says anything about my watches, and I rock Rollies, AP's, and Omega's all day every day. Read my signature below, words to live by. Enjoy!!!! Welcome to your new addiction!!!!

Ralphy

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
SRG89 here are some choices in the M2M section of reasonably priced watches that are great choices for your first Rolex. If you go TC it will be the only one you ever need, not that you will be able to stop buying lol. TC used to be a watch maker here and he has since retired, but his pieces are still out there and are amazing. This one is expensive but sports a lot of gen parts. The explorer I is a great rep too because no cyclops or datewheel, and then the ARF SD43's are considered one of the best out of the box reps today. Good luck!!!

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...insert-and-2-breitling-gmt-blacksteel-w-natos

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...t-edition-3132-vac-serviced-catch-and-release

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...st-edition-904l-ss-cassa-e-bracciale-a2824-v2

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-sales/6918504-rolex-sd43-arf-v2-904

Reactions: mech500

moneysaver

3/7/18
Been here reading around - it's unbelievable how people are here building stuff. I have 1 gen Rolex Air-King. I don't think I will ever buy another gen again.

Welcome!

SRG89

17/7/18
Just keep reading and entering search terms as a way to dissect the forum. You can find yourself getting pretty deep into rabbit holes, but that's usually the best way to learn -- plus it opens you up to things you likely never expected (and costing you more money haha). Just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time is the only way to consume the immense amount of information. Welcome and best of luck!

Thanks for the advice - found myself in the rabbit hole a few times already!

SRG89

17/7/18
Ralphy1975 Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to post the links for the watches - I guess the new issue which I never considered before is keeping my collection down to less than 20 ;)

Ralphy

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Well, that is my goal as well lol. I have a 12 slot watch box, 3 in the drawer of it and 5 in my drawer at work lol. But I have been purging lately, letting the ones that I don't wear go to new homes even if it hurts to give them up lol :biggrin: