• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie presentation

10blade

Horology Curious
25/6/22
Hi everyone,

I found your forum and I must say it's extremely rich. I learned many things reading posts here, I didn't even know the rep community was a thing actually, and honestly you guys seem to have fun and the community seems pretty active and quite experienced !
So anyway, I'm based in EU and I'm starting to be interested in pretty watches. Not yet keen on ultra luxury pieces but a few models catched my eyes and I'd love to wear reps at my wrist.

About the wrist, it isn't that big so models above 40-41 cm just look ridiculous on me. For now I'm interested in Tudor BB (the Pelagos is stunning but I know it'll be too massive for me, unfortunately...) and BB Chrono, Longines, and Nomos.
I love Omega and IWC (Portugieser <3 ) but they might raise some eyebrows amongst my friends since I obviously can't afford the gens, and a few of them seem to know their sh*t a bit.

Another concern is about the customs of my country, they are super restrictive and I wonder if some of you guys already had any trouble with theme and if so, how did you managed. I already read about the "triangle" delivery system, CH -> UK -> EU if I'm not mistaken, is it really a worthy protocol ?

Anyway, I'll keep reading your many posts and try to find the perfect rep for me. I'm looking forward to start digging and finding the perfect pieces.

Good day

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Hi there and welcome to RWI!

Best to make a wish list with reps based on your requirements such as dial size, case thickness and low-key appearance. An PP Aquanaut in stainless steel, 5164 or 5167 is very nice imo. Or what about IWC Mark xviii, there is lots to choose.

I don’t care too much what my friends think, I advice you to do the same hehe. Otherwise your rep world experience becomes very small very quickly. Just be honest about it is my rule of thumb.

The triangular shipping method used by the TD’s shipping companies is very safe and fast, usually within 2 weeks you will get your watch. In busier periods it will take longer. GL!

Reactions: P..DR..D

10blade

Horology Curious
25/6/22
Thank you RedBearrd,

I already pined a few watches on my list. As I'm new in the rep business I'll start with ordering one from a TD then based on this experience I'll reiterate the experience (or not) for next pieces.
I'll manage to keep calm though, those things tend to become like Pokemons, gotta catch'em all but in the end a lot of money went out your wallet haha !

The Black Bay Fifty Eight 39mm SS ZF 1:1 Best Edition Black Dial on SS Bracelet A2824 from Puretime caught my attention. I might try ordering this piece, unless somebody knows another version that's worth it.

See you soon :)

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Welcome to the forum!
of the watches you mentioned I can recommend the IWC Portugieser as a great watch for the smaller wrist

Reactions: 10blade

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
cb42cf135b66b561153eb2a66b7eb7b0.jpg

ZF delivers quality and reliability so you are good. Every rep has its flaws though, please see the pic.

Can’t remember if it was the 41 or the 39mm version but one is gen and the other is rep. It’s finding our what your tolerance level is :)

Reactions: P..DR..D

10blade

Horology Curious
25/6/22
Cheers mate,

I read this interesting post from RepJunkie, the global conclusion is that it's a pretty decent rep.
Gen is on the right, at first glance we can see that the lume is brighter on rep. Furthermore, it has been pointed out that the global reflection of the hands and rose metal parts around lumes is less golden than the original, same for the 12 o'clock lume on the crown which is a bit different on the rep.
Finally, the global aspect of the dial colour feels different, some of the posters pointed out that it might be related to the texture difference (more flat on the rep) and I kinda agree with them.
I'm sorry if my english isn't precise enough but I think you might get the idea.

Oh and this post dates back from 2020, a possible V3 version was discussed, I'll check if it happened or not because if a newer version succeded getting rid of these minor flaws, then I think I found myself the perfect rep !

Reactions: RedBearrd

10blade

Horology Curious
25/6/22
Excellent infos, good sir. Thanks a lot.
l Learned interesting things, like the effect of the lig to lug distance, or even the perception of size depending on the color of the dial.
It shows that in the end, chosing a watch depending on its size is waaaay more complicated than just focusing on the 39, 40, 41 mm, etc ...

Thanks again for your help!

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
No worries. I like your aspirations for Pelagos, Nomos and Portugieser. I have a rep Nomos which was brilliant value and came with the flame blue hands which is often a giveaway for reps on models which should have that hand finish. I found an original horween cordovan strap for it which made a big improvement on the look and feel.

Am on the look out for Portugeiser and Pelagos.

Good luck with your hunting.

Reactions: 10blade

10blade

Horology Curious
25/6/22
Teetertank Thank you very much, For now I ordered the ZF BB58, it seems to be a classic around here.
Let me know if you have a good experience with a factory for the Nomos, it might come handy for the end of the year.

It's my first time ordering a rep, I hope PureTime we'll be gentle :)
Anyway, let's hope there won't be a problem with the delivery and customs. It was quite a bargain but still, I'm a bit intrigued of the looks and feel of the piece IRL.

Good day