• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you say you're wearing a replica?

phobos9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/20
Supose somebody tell you "WTF! Did you spend 12.500€ in a watch?". What is your answer?

Of course you are poor and driving a Dacia car, not an lambo. xD

Enviado desde mi Mi A3 mediante Tapatalk

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I'm neither poor, nor am I driving a Dacia.

Nobody ever asked me if my watch was fake or how I got my watch.

​​​​​​If you're worried about this and feel ashamed, maybe don't buy a rep.

Get a Tissot.

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
There are many similar threads on the forum. Suggest you check these out first.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Trowt and phobos9

phobos9

3/7/20
Sorry if I bothered you @ Storm069, I didn't mean to. For your answer I feel that I have not been able to express precisely what I wanted. On the other hand, I thank enduser for the answer

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Sorry if I bothered you @ Storm069, I didn't mean to. For your answer I feel that I have not been able to express precisely what I wanted. On the other hand, I thank enduser for the answer

No im not bothered. But you need to understand were not poor folk that want a flashy watch. May apply to some but most of us can afford a gen, but do not want to wait or pay grey market prices or love making a watch your own.

I could buy a daytona gen if I wanted, but the sourcing of the hands, crown, pushers, glass and gasket, the feeling when you sit next to your watch smith and he takes apart the movement while you help him reassemble it, it's a feeling I wouldn't want to miss.

The things I learned from Domi, I never would have learned at my local AD going in and buying a watch.

John Abel

Known Member
15/5/20
UK
There is an old rule of thumb about buying and engagement diamond ring: spend about three months salary. I think the same applies here and with that, a gen is not that much unaffordable.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Supose somebody tell you "WTF! Did you spend 12.500€ in a watch?". What is your answer?

Of course you are poor and driving a Dacia car, not an lambo. xD

Not a new topic of discussion, it's different for everyone.

I try getting reps of gens i own or that i could afford, my closest friends know about it and a couple share the watches passion as well, but i don't go around telling everyone that i'm wearing reps, what's the point lol

Last edited:

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Not a new topic of discussion, it's different for everyone.

I try getting reps of gens i own or that i could afford, my closest friends know about it and a couple share the watches passion as well, but i don't go around telling everyone that i'm wearing reps, what's the point lol

Your signature says it fully.

I've only had one person, that I do not know personally, call me out and that was a "oh, that's a gmf batman? I got an ARF sub".

And that was a guy with an aston martin lol
People do not care or even know what you're wearing. It's all about what your appearance gives off. You got a good suit and good shoes on? Chances are nobody will ever question if it's real or not.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Your signature says it fully.

I've only had one person, that I do not know personally, call me out and that was a "oh, that's a gmf batman? I got an ARF sub".

And that was a guy with an aston martin lol
People do not care or even know what you're wearing. It's all about what your appearance gives off. You got a good suit and good shoes on? Chances are nobody will ever question if it's real or not.

Yep, exactly, as you said, you are the biggest tell of any rep. If you play the part you can wear anything, as long as it reflects your life style

SlippinJimmy

Renowned Member
Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
23/9/17
The biggest misconception is that those who partake in this hobby cannot afford the real thing, whereas in most cases it couldn’t be further from the truth... I’ve seen guys on here with gen Rolex and APs in the 15-25k price bracket yet still enjoy buying replicas which they know they can beat up and not feel too bad about it.

I personally could go out tomorrow and collectively purchase gen versions of every rep I own cash and I’d still be living more than comfortably. However, what’s the fun in that! Similar to what Mari has stated, I tend to buy reps of those I know I can afford and are well within my capabilities, hence the likeliness of getting called out is slim to none (example: I personally wouldn’t buy a Daytona 116506 with a price tag of approx. £60k as those around me know it’s extremely unlikely I’d go drop that kind of money on something that doesn’t provide some form of financial return or dividends, so what’s the point).

I’ve had a fair few gens and ended up beating them up and selling them on for what I initially purchased them for... Booooooring.

I still have a gen Cartier Roadster and 5 digit Datejust which I wear to work and basically get tossed around, however, the most part of my collection consists of reps and frankens which I’ve spent the best part of 3 years working on (and take better care of due to the time and effort spent on them) and I’ve loved every second of scouring the internet for parts, putting my skills as a novice watchmaker to use, whilst contributing to a forum full of knowledgable folk who are there to help if needed.

Life’s short, who gives a fuck what you wear, just enjoy this hobby for what it is... people read too far into the rep game when it’s really not that deep.

Last edited:

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
The biggest misconception is that those who partake in this hobby cannot afford the real thing, whereas in most cases it couldn’t be further from the truth... I’ve seen guys on here with gen Rolex and APs in the 15-25k price bracket yet still enjoy buying replicas which they know they can beat up and not feel too bad about it.

I personally could go out tomorrow and collectively purchase gen versions of every rep I own cash and I’d still be living more than comfortably. However, what’s the fun in that! Similar to what Mari has stated, I tend to buy reps of those I know I can afford and are well within my capabilities, hence the likeliness of getting called out is slim to none (example: I personally wouldn’t buy a Daytona 116506 with a price tag of approx. £60k as those around me know it’s extremely unlikely I’d go drop that kind of money on something that doesn’t provide some form of financial return or dividends, so what’s the point).

I’ve had a fair few gens and ended up beating them up and selling them on for what I initially purchased them for... Booooooring.

I still have a gen Cartier Roadster and 5 digit Datejust which I wear to work and basically get tossed around, however, the most part of my collection consists of reps and frankens which I’ve spent the best part of 3 years working on (and take better care of due to the time and effort spent on them) and I’ve loved every second of scouring the internet for parts, putting my skills as a novice watchmaker to use, whilst contributing to a forum full of knowledgable folk who are there to help if needed.

Life’s short, who gives a fuck what you wear, just enjoy this hobby for what it is... people read too far into the rep game when it’s really not that deep.

Well said

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
Never told nobody my watches were reps.
I don't care about being judged. It's because in France people are so scared of buying counterfeit products that if you say you know how to find some, they will harass you to get it too!

Neil McCauley

Certified
19/10/20
Germany
In My opinion if someone wears a 40 thousand dollar watch, say this is genuine and drives with a small VW UP for 8000 dollars is screams like fake but some people are awesome, my company partner wears a genuine Patek for 65000 dollars in used condition and he goes to work by train but he has insurance for it when someone steals it. The difference is that he has over 30 cars and wears watch for 65 thousand but if you have for example one car what costs 1/4 of your watch it’s clear. Only one example why the watch has to be suitable to your livestyle.

So stay loyal and truth to yourself that’s the first human rule.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Only when wearing a HULK, that fekn’ green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mchan4

30/1/20
I personally am a fan of being able to beat up a $400 rep while my multi thousand dollar gen is safe and sound for the time being. Definitely is a relief,