• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stainless Steel

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
where did you read that ?

Dark_Comet

Horology Curious
7/6/19
Dublin,Ireland
I actually was reading someone posted (cannot recall ) 20 myths etc about rep watches. So he was busting the myths and he specifically mentioned about the 904L stainless steel used. Another reason I love and fully support this forum.

Dark_Comet

Horology Curious
7/6/19
Dublin,Ireland
Anyway got my sub from sead1999 this morning and it is stunning quality. The second hand sweep is so smooth . My 41 yr old Omega Constellation is not that smooth . Only thing I had an issue with was setting the date but I just discovered I was doing it wrong. On the Omega the first stop when you pull the winder out changes the date. Anyway its a learning curve and I am really chuffed. Cheers sead1999. [h=1][/h]

Mak52580

23/3/18
Doing some research on this forum I read a thread that 904L is made strictly by Rolex in-house so any rep dealer claiming that theirs is 904L with an upcharge is just taking your money

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Doing some research on this forum I read a thread that 904L is made strictly by Rolex in-house so any rep dealer claiming that theirs is 904L with an upcharge is just taking your money

:rofl:

There's dedicated thread about the whole 904L thing, but one thing for sure : it's available to anyone who want to build with, you can buy some on eBay if you want

Mak52580

23/3/18
:rofl:

There's dedicated thread about the whole 904L thing, but one thing for sure : it's available to anyone who want to build with, you can buy some on eBay if you want

Do you have the link?

Mak52580

23/3/18

THANKS! That is the thread I actually got my perspective from saying the 904 L isn't necessarily worth the premium.

"All dealers know that, it is economically impossible making a replica with 904L. Therefore, the dealer who indicates SS 904L on his catalogue, be sure, he is lying to us and we cannot trust him absolutely."

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
THANKS! That is the thread I actually got my perspective from saying the 904 L isn't necessarily worth the premium.

"All dealers know that, it is economically impossible making a replica with 904L. Therefore, the dealer who indicates SS 904L on his catalogue, be sure, he is lying to us and we cannot trust him absolutely."

I said it was a good start, not that everything in it was true, but the overall content is valid.
I was merely reacting to the fact you said 904L was only used by Rolex, which is not the case. It's been proved that some rep have been made in 904L, no idea if it's still the case and how often they switch between materials.
But one thing is for sure, it's not worth the premium (premium that tend to even out with the 316L by the way).
Some alleged 904L are better finished by the maker, so that were you should focus your attention :)

904L is by the way, not that much expensive that 316L, can even be cheaper if you buy lower quality ones

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17

They are not many that can create an SS alloy in this world my friend.
Those that provide alloys to big, known factories (with needs less than 10 tons per year...) are just dealers in front of those that create the alloy.

Almost no one can afford to have an alloy for himself. Only very small (and pricey) productions could achive it, without been able to have excactly the same if need it
and big countries, like US or Russia if they characterise it as military secret.