• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What to expect of a rep long term

ShotsFired

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/19
I'm new to reps and am looking to buy my first, a V7 Factory Breitling Transocean Day & Date Automatic with the 2824-2 movement. I'm curious what to expect with the watches long term. Are these quality pieces that I should expect to last/work for 10-15 years with proper care? Or are they novelties that I should be happy to get 3 years of service out of? I'm not looking for sure statements, just more of a general feel of what one should expect from these. I tried searching but didn't find much discussion about this. Thanks.

Sedonut

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/7/17
You expect to get a whole 3 years? Not so much.

In my opinion the idea of getting 10-15 years service out of a rep is unlikely. It could happen, you could win the lottery too. Odds are about the same. If you bought one with a Swiss ETA movement, and actually had one when you opened up the watch, it should last for a while. Even a gen needs service.

ShotsFired

19/4/19
You expect to get a whole 3 years? Not so much.

In my opinion the idea of getting 10-15 years service out of a rep is unlikely. It could happen, you could win the lottery too. Odds are about the same. If you bought one with a Swiss ETA movement, and actually had one when you opened up the watch, it should last for a while. Even a gen needs service.

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy mechanical stuff and was planning to learn to service watches myself. I've done basic stuff before, but would enjoy learning more. So what's a more realistic expectation out of a rep watch?

Sedonut

Banned
31/7/17
From what I have read, even the best should have immediate service, ie: cleaning and oiling. Some run for years, most don't. I'm learning to swap movements. Watch repair is a whole lot more complicated. My plan is if I find a replica I love, to switch out the bad movement for a Swiss ETA. Not all movements are compatible for the swap. Do a search on here on the watch/movement you are buying, lots of good information.

Honestly, I expect a rep ( not one with a Swiss ETA) to last less than 3 years. cheepies only months. Once again, do your homework. You usually get what you pay for. Often you can find deals in the replica watch sales on watches that just did not fit the buyer.

Most replicas are of high end watches that are not worn daily.

ShotsFired

19/4/19
From what I have read, even the best should have immediate service, ie: cleaning and oiling. Some run for years, most don't. I'm learning to swap movements. Watch repair is a whole lot more complicated. My plan is if I find a replica I love, to switch out the bad movement for a Swiss ETA. Not all movements are compatible for the swap. Do a search on here on the watch/movement you are buying, lots of good information.

Honestly, I expect a rep ( not one with a Swiss ETA) to last less than 3 years. cheepies only months. Once again, do your homework. You usually get what you pay for. Often you can find deals in the replica watch sales on watches that just did not fit the buyer.

Most replicas are of high end watches that are not worn daily.

Swapping a movement seems like fun and I would enjoy learning that. I'm tryiing to figure out what I would be able to swap into this watch. In some places it lists it as 2824-2 and in others as A2836. How do you figure out which it is? With the different locations of the date and time are you still able to swap it with the regular models?

What are some of the swap projects you've been working on? Thanks for all the info.

Sedonut

Banned
31/7/17
Do research, sometimes interchangeable movements have different model numbers. Generally a A2824 will interchange with an ETA 2824, as the A, for Asian, is just a copy of the ETA. I'm sure there are many pages on the site for interchangeability.

My favorite project is building an early explorer on a early genuine Rolex case with an eta movement. I'm on version 3 in the same original case. I found a Seiko mickey mouse dial and movement that fit perfectly in a original Rolex case, a one of a kind. That one worked the first time, but it is a Seiko quartz movement, it makes me happy, but nowhere near original.

Anytime you are doing something on a replica , it is just for you own pleasure, you will lose money.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
My experience is the quality reps last. Cheap ones are another story but its been years since I picked up a cheapie and kept it. You may have some issues but for the most part they are reliable. I oil the movement and grease all seals of mine, but I haven't always done that. I do tend to swap in swiss movements instead of a full service of a clone. Its a cost ratio thing to me as I do the swap myself and a sort of movement snobbery too. Swiss movement swaps and franken builds have a higher chance of staying with me vs an off the street rep.

I have a few reps that are over 10 years old, maybe closer to 15, and one of them is a modified a7750 that I use the chrono and always treat it as I would any other watch, gen or rep. It could arguably use a service as any 7750 of its age would. It still runs fine but is a little slow to get started when its been sitting, a couple winds and shakes she goes and keeps accurate time. It doesn't get much wrist tme but it was the first highend expensive rep I ever bought. I will probably never sell it, even though it is more of a box queen the past years. Being a modified a7750 and out of longevity curiosity I wouldn't do a swiss swap. One day I'm sure it will croak and then who knows?

They aren't the gens they emulate but they can be good watches too. Yes, you may have issues but typically fixable vs trash dumpster.

Reactions: csthe

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Your expected output is inversely proportionate to your input. If you invest time and effort into maintaining your possessions, be it a timepiece or a vehicle, you should expect it to provide you years and years of of service. Maintenance and upkeep is key, you might scuff the exterior or need a replacement strap or bracelet but as long as you are willing to invest the time and resources into maintaining and servicing it, there's no reason why it should not last a long time.

Bobcat12345

11/10/15
Fingers crossed but I have not had a movement fail on any of my reps with years of use. I don’t baby them and none were serviced prior to going into rotation. If I do have one go down I will just swap the movement and be up and running again with minimal cost. I hope you see similar service life from yours!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: ShotsFired

the_don_robinson

20/4/12
Hey been a member here for a while... but not active all the time... was looking and I have rep Pam's from 2012 ish so 7 years old which haven't been serviced and still keeping good time !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk