• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob question about the wrist size

jk124788

Looking Around
27/6/22
Hi,

I am new here, been studying replicas for a few days very intensively, but one question I did not seem to find quite an answer for (yet anyway), is how to make sure the watch I will order will not be to small for my wrist?

The thing is, my wrist is rather large. According to my measurements, approximately 20.5-21 cm or up to 8.4 Inch.

I was thinking about purchasing this model:
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar 26579CE Black Ceramic APSF

It has a 41 mm case, so should be large enough, but will the ceramic strap not be too small?

I would really appreciate any help and feedback on how to go on about this. This is my first rep purchase and I really love to do my research properly before buying any of the stuff usually.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Hi and welcome! I don't think it's a noob question, it's quite important to know how the watch will fit your wrist in the first place. And case size is not the only important factor, lug-to-lug is at least as important, case shape shouldn't be dismissed and thickness will also affect the overall looks. And then there's personal taste which will go a long way, too. My wrist is between 17,2 and 17,5mm. There are 40mm I like on my wrist, but some 38mm I find, for my personal taste, too "present". And this is just a question of taste, some divers 40mm,no problem, some others, ugh! . I'll probably never wear a >42mm. On the other hand I have no problem at all with 34mm, if it's the right watch, I happily wear it. I even have a 30mm smoking watch, you don't need much size for that kind of elegance. You have to find out for yourself what suits you, but yeah, definitely you have a large wrist that can handle much. Maybe go to an AD and try some, I would recommend that before you make the wrong buy and regret it. And, make sure you tell your TD your wrist size and that you need all the links, my OP 36mm came just right, it wouldn't have fit your wrist though.
You have to wear it, look at it, see how it makes you feel, if you want to be 100%sure. Ideally. I bought my fair share of watches just by seeing internet pics, was always lucky enough to like them irl, too.

Reactions: P..DR..D

jk124788

Looking Around
27/6/22
Hi and welcome! I don't think it's a noob question, it's quite important to know how the watch will fit your wrist in the first place. And case size is not the only important factor, lug-to-lug is at least as important, case shape shouldn't be dismissed and thickness will also affect the overall looks. And then there's personal taste which will go a long way, too. My wrist is between 17,2 and 17,5mm. There are 40mm I like on my wrist, but some 38mm I find, for my personal taste, too "present". And this is just a question of taste, some divers 40mm,no problem, some others, ugh! . I'll probably never wear a >42mm. On the other hand I have no problem at all with 34mm, if it's the right watch, I happily wear it. I even have a 30mm smoking watch, you don't need much size for that kind of elegance. You have to find out for yourself what suits you, but yeah, definitely you have a large wrist that can handle much. Maybe go to an AD and try some, I would recommend that before you make the wrong buy and regret it. And, make sure you tell your TD your wrist size and that you need all the links, my OP 36mm came just right, it wouldn't have fit your wrist though.
You have to wear it, look at it, see how it makes you feel, if you want to be 100%sure. Ideally. I bought my fair share of watches just by seeing internet pics, was always lucky enough to like them irl, too.

Thank you very much for the extensive reply and for the welcome!
My main concern in this case was, whether the standard ceramic strap will not be too small for my wrist. Since basically material is very specific and no watch repair shop or anyone will be able to increase its size. Only they can reduce it by removing some of the links, as far as I know.

68Olds

9/7/10
US
Hi,

Have you picked which Trusted Dealer you plan on using? Once that is done send them an email and ask if they can source extra links for the bracelet. Make sure it is a package deal for the links plus the watch.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
jk124788 Well, I can't speak in this case, don't know AP's at all, not my cup of tea really. But if I were you I'd probably simply ask my TD, in the end he's a salesman, he wants you to be happy, wants a returning customer and will try to meet your requirements as best as he can. That's at least my experience. Or you can try asking directly in a royal oak thread if someone has experience in this matter. But you were right in asking, as I said, my OP came and was just right for my wrist. If I had your size, I couldn't have worn it. Lesson learned. The other 2 buys were bigger and even came with a screwdriver to remove the excess links. Now that I think about it, the TD owes me at least a couple of links of my first buy!

Last edited:

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
... Or what 68Olds said...

PiagetandPills

Central to nowhere
10/6/22
U.K.
I suspect the Royal Oak you like will be big enough for your wrist. I have a different Royal Oak but of the same case size, and I had to remove links when I got it. But like 68Olds has said, you will be able to source extra links at the time of purchase if you are worried.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
My wrist is just under 8". The answer to your question is not easy because there is a lot more to a watch than case diameter. Lug shape, thickness etc. I have found that by trying on different ones either by purchase or going to a dealer is really the only way to know what you'll feel most comfortable with on a daily basis. I have watches ranging from 40mm to 48mm. It really comes down to personal preference.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Agree with what 68Olds has said - try to arrange some extra links to be included with the purchase, else will be a hassle to source if it turns out the strap isn't long enough.

I purchased a steel bracket rep and have a 18.5cm wrist and the watch only just fits with all the links in place, so you are right to be concerned. With a 21cm wrist I think the watch I have for example would not fit.