• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First timer - multiple reps vs franken

Wiscotime

Looking Around
12/1/22
Hey guys. I’m new here but have been looking at the site for months. I’m still getting acquainted with all the lingo and acronyms, it’s a process.

I need some help with my first purchase. I’ve been looking at trusted TDs and I’m considering purchasing VSF Rolex sub with no date and a Hulk. I was also thinking of getting a GMF yacht master and GMF Rolex Day Date.

However I started to look at Franken watches with gen parts and like that idea and could spend 1500-2000 on one watch. I just am clueless about where to find one and need some guidance.

Any help would be appreciated

thank you

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Welcome aboard Sir,

Just my opnion & many may disagree, but alot of the current reps satisfy me out of the box, so I would rather get another rep and try it out, than add some €000's to my purchase.

But everybody is different and some people want to add GEN crystal, dial, hands, crown, bracelet etc etc... And the costs then go from your average $500 ootb rep, to the thousands.

You just have to look in the sales area to see the franken/superfranken/gensteins & the associated price tags.

My advice, and this is from someone who has never frankened a watch, or to be perfectly honest, pays attention to the sometimes minute differences between the ootb rep and the GEN, is to get a few reps, try them out, and then when you've decided on one you really really like and then want to invest in, investigate the enhancements you can make.

For example, you mention a VSF hulk, and don't quote me, am just reiterating what I've seen, but there are several excellent threads that say adding a ZF dial is a worthwhile enhancement. Others may disagree, so it's all about what you notice and want.

The one thing I can guarantee is everyone is different, has different likes/dislikes, tolerances etc, but because it's your money, its ultimately your choice to make.

Anyway, just my 2c, and am genuinely curious what you decide and why.

Last edited:

Wiscotime

Looking Around
12/1/22
Welcome aboard Sir,

Just my opnion & many may disagree, but alot of the current reps satisfy me out of the box, so I would rather get another rep and try it out, than add some €000's to my purchase.

But everybody is different and some people want to add GEN crystal, dial, hands, crown, bracelet etc etc... And the costs then go from your average $500 ootb rep, to the thousands.

You just have to look in the sales area to see the franken/superfranken/gensteins & the associated price tags.

My advice, and this is from someone who has never frankened a watch, or to be perfectly honest, pays attention to the sometimes minute differences between the ootb rep and the GEN, is to get a few reps, try them out, and then when you've decided on one you really really like and then want to invest in, investigate the enhancements you can make.

For example, you mention a VSF hulk, and don't quote me, am just reiterating what I've seen, but there are several excellent threads that say adding a ZF dial is a worthwhile enhancement. Others may disagree, so it's all about what you notice and want.

The one thing I can guarantee is everyone is different, has different likes/dislikes, tolerances etc, but because it's your money, its ultimately your choice to make.

Anyway, just my 2c, and am genuinely curious what you decide and why.

Sincerely appreciate all your advice. I may start with one or two and maybe go the route of a few gen parts.

Any idea of who I can go to in the US to service or install gen parts? I wish I had the skill set of watch making but I unfortunately do not.

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Sincerely appreciate all your advice. I may start with one or two and maybe go the route of a few gen parts.

Any idea of who I can go to in the US to service or install gen parts? I wish I had the skill set of watch making but I unfortunately do not.

Very welcome Sir,

Exactly, buy a few, see which one(s) you like, then decide, before committing 000's. If you don't like them, depending on condition, you can sell on M2M sometimes with only a small loss to other US based members.

Before doing so, you must read the sales rules, but you're not there yet, you may decide you like them all ;)

All the RWI approved watchsmiths are here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

And I know some are US based so best of luck.

Re servicing, that'll split the opinion again, as some recommend servicing every new watch, others, like me, don't bother until an issue arises, so again, depends on what you decide.

Reactions: Wiscotime

Wiscotime

Looking Around
12/1/22
Very welcome Sir,

Exactly, buy a few, see which one(s) you like, then decide, before committing 000's. If you don't like them, depending on condition, you can sell on M2M sometimes with only a small loss to other US based members.

Before doing so, you must read the sales rules, but you're not there yet, you may decide you like them all ;)

All the RWI approved watchsmiths are here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

And I know some are US based so best of luck.

Re servicing, that'll split the opinion again, as some recommend servicing every new watch, others, like me, don't bother until an issue arises, so again, depends on what you decide.

This is great! Thank you so much for your help. I’m looking forward to starting this process.

Reactions: P..DR..D