• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice - Rolex 5504 with a 1570 Movement

Siesta Shrink

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/6/21
OK, I would appreciate a second opinion.

I am really hot for this gen 50's oyster - cream dial, no date, Delphine hands, curved markers. My local watch guy, whom I've bought several gens from over the years, and has always given me good (cautious) advice, is pessimistic. (I am only getting his advice on this one - he doesn't own the watch I'm looking at.) He says the 1500 movements are delicate, devilishly hard to get parts for, and that the number of watchmakers who even work on that generation movement are dying out. So this watch might end up in my sock drawer for my kid to sell in the garage sale after I'm gone.

Advice appreciated.

lateforthewatchworld

Horology Curious
11/5/21
You lucky! I own a 1601 1972 datejust that uses a 1570 movement and a 1005 model that uses the 1560. They are great watches and the most wear-prone parts are widely available. These movements have sold millions of watches for many years, so there is demand from a huge parts market. If the price is fair go and grab it. I would run away from bubblebacks and semibubblebacks, even though I love the looks. Those movements are the tricky ones IMHO.

Last edited: