• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3235 Regulation Question

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Hey Guys,

I have a VS3235 movement that is running about 20secs slow per day. I was hoping to do a minor tweek to the movement to speed it up a tad, but wasn't quite sure what to adjust. From what I can gather, one of the arms coming off the balance bridge (see A and B in my pic below) needs to be tapped/nudged a tiny bit farther apart to shorten the hair spring and speed things up. Is that correct? If so, which arm should be moved? Also, is the screw marked C in my pic for fine tuning? If so, what does it fine tune and which direction does what? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
OK, so after doing some additional research and getting some excellent advice from a couple different members, to adjust the basic timing, you simply nudge the thin “regulation” arm left to speed up timing (shortens the hairspring) or right to slow down timing (lengthens the hairspring). See pic below which shows the thin regulation arm on the left side of the balance bridge. I can confirm this works beautifully as my movement is now running roughly +2secs/day after a little trial and error….which is a nice improvement from -20secs/day and plenty good for my needs.

FYI: I don't have a timegrapher yet, so I simply sync the watch time to an atomic clock app on my cell phone, tap a little in the desired direction and check back in an hour or two to see if the time is still synced. If not, I make another very small adjustment. Remember the key is to make VERY SMALL adjustments. I find it much easier to gauge the arm adjustments under 10x magnification so I know exactly how much the arm is moving each time I nudge or tap it.

One last thing, don’t mess with the fat “stud” arm on the right (which regulates beat error) or the fine tuning screw even further right (which regulates axial clearance of the balance wheel) unless you know what you are doing! Hope this helps others looking to make a simple improvement to timing.

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I've just come across this post on timing adjustment for the VS3235. This is very helpful. I had assumed the screw you have marked as 'C' would be a fine adjustment of the type you see on the eta 2824 and I could see it was not changing the timing at all. I better put it back where it was.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I've just come across this post on timing adjustment for the VS3235. This is very helpful. I had assumed the screw you have marked as 'C' would be a fine adjustment of the type you see on the eta 2824 and I could see it was not changing the timing at all. I better put it back where it was.

Yes, don't mess with that screw! FYI: I purchased a timegrapher since my OP and it's made performing the above adjustment much easier and quicker. It can be done manually, but the timegrapher is super nice to have on hand now.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
Nudge is an understatement. You have to just touch it with your screwdriver. If you can see the movement with your eyes, you will never get closer than +- 20 seconds. I got mine to .5 seconds but it took several days even though i have a timegrapher.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
The screw on 2824 is nothing remotely like the screw you see there. On the 2824 it isn’t a screw at all its an eccentric lobe. It directly interfaces with the y shaped thing which is directly connected to the regulation lever.
you really should be looking up a video on how watches work before you even touch it.
like if you don’t understand what the regulation lever is actually doing to the hairspring or WHY the beat error is affected by the second lever i would suggest waiting until you do understand.

Last edited:

NOTT3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/23
italiy
Can anyone tell me how to silence the winding rotor? maybe tightening some screws?

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Unfortunately I don't know what a persuader is
Bergeon makes the best model IMHO. Works every time! See pic below for reference:
HcIRtc.png

• Haha
Reactions: heska and VixLa3

mettmett

Known Member
10/8/15
GERMANY
Can anyone tell me how to silence the winding rotor? maybe tightening some Maybe you can take a small screwdriver and tighten the rotor - I changed the rotor of my broken Vs3235 onto the vr3235 and it quite since then

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
There's been a lot written on this subject with many differing opinions. I personally have had good success applying a very light coat of Moebius 8200 grease on the ball bearings around the oscillating weight screw (see below). Others have had success using something lighter, like Moebius 9010 or 9020 oil. Whatever you do, do not use too much because you don't want it spreading to other parts of the movement. Good luck!
Hck5yK.jpeg