• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SA4130 Chronograph's Second-Hand - How sweep is sweep?

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Cheers guys,

I've yet seldomly enjoyed the beauty that is the SA4130 movement, but everytime I did, and especially when using the chronograph function, I was kind of put off the tiniest little bit. It didn't truly look like a fluent motion of the chronographs second hand and only when really focussing on it I wondered: Is this supposed to be like that?

So, now I just took the ol' reliable smartphone camera and a x20 loupe and tried to capture this one and look into it in more detail. Attached is the respective video I captured. Lo and behold, time seems truly relative when slowed down so much, wasn't even sure the video was playing for the first second.

As you can see, the jumps of the seconds hand in sub-second paces is inhomogenous - there's two distances that this seconds hand travels alternatingly in (seemingly) consistent temporal intervals. So it might not be the actual beats, but the distance they travel with each beat, that created that impression of some-not-so-sweep chronograph second hand movement.

Now I wonder: Is this supposed to be like this or is it some irregularity with my particular movement? I do not have the necessary expertise nor the understand to fully understand how the chronographs seconds hand is integrated into the movement, so I'd be very interested to read some educated opinion in regards to that. For me personally, it is not a true issue. After all, the chronograph itself works pretty fine and has been doing so for a while a time and passed time can be measured rather accurately with this nonetheless.

alternative: [video]https://streamable.com/8fzmkg[/video]

Best,
tdx18

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Okay so I think what is happening is your video is actually showing artifact. Below is the same video clip of my genuine Tudor Pelagos. (That happens to be the watch I was wearing today). Notice how the full speed video it's smooth but as I slow it down you start seeing skipping and artifact.
As said can you paste a video running at normal speed?

videotogif_2020.05.22_07.20.037c21658e0ee02def.gif

videotogif_2020.05.22_07.22.414e88411492e7623c.gif

videotogif_2020.05.22_07.23.26e74697def991e325.gif

Last edited:

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Okay so I think what is happening is your video is actually showing artifact. Below is the same video clip of my genuine Tudor Pelagos. (That happens to be the watch I was wearing today). Notice how the full speed video it's smooth but as I slow it down you start seeing skipping and artifact.
As said can you paste a video running at normal speed?

Thanks for the reply.

First off: The video above wasn't artificially slowed down (well, in a certain sense it was), but was instead recorded @480 fps and then upon playback, it is stretched out to create the actual slow-motion. Attached here you find a short clip of the watch in regular temporal resolution. I feel that this effect is certainly less pronounced, but observable still. Of course this might be due to my own observation bias infringing objectivity here.

I'm quite fascinated by it, either way it's supposed to be like that or not. Cool stuff.

EDIT: Please forgive this severe case of vertical-video-syndrome. Guilty as charged..

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks for the reply.

First off: The video above wasn't artificially slowed down (well, in a certain sense it was), but was instead recorded @480 fps and then upon playback, it is stretched out to create the actual slow-motion. Attached here you find a short clip of the watch in regular temporal resolution. I feel that this effect is certainly less pronounced, but observable still. Of course this might be due to my own observation bias infringing objectivity here.

I'm quite fascinated by it, either way it's supposed to be like that or not. Cool stuff.

EDIT: Please forgive this severe case of vertical-video-syndrome. Guilty as charged..

Definitely looks a bit choppy there as well. It should sweep fairly smoothly and evenly.

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
And for the fun it bears, here is another one with the small seconds in conjunction to the chronograph's second hand for further illustration.

Luc.font

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/16
EU
at a normal speed, it seems to be unatural sweeping, not something observable on this movement usually.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
It looks like it does stutter a little. May just be missing or worn down some teeth in the chrono gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackcalf

Known Member
5/6/17
Madrid
Hi there
I saw same problem in noob v4 daytonas and now have same problem in clean 4130 as they use same movement. So every 1 from 5-6 watches came new with that problem, looks like some of gears aren't going well. I strongly recommend ask your dealer a short video with chrono working.

So would like to know if someone have a solution for this problem.
Thanks

Sent from my 2106118C using Tapatalk

madmex

Known Member
22/8/06
I just received my clean sa4130 and it has the stutters seconds hand. In a 7750 and in other horizontal clutch chronographs there’s a coupling wheel that has space between the teeth to engage the chronograph. There’s usually an adjustment spring for this purpose, but in the SA4130 there’s a vertical clutch. I don’t have the technical documents for it but I’d like to see if this coupling is adjustable as it drives me nuts.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
The clone 4130 will suffer from this no matter what you do. There is nothing to adjust.
Rolex came out with a different tooth design that eliminated this problem. The LIGA wheels. Installing these pieces eliminates the stutter completely.

faa29090bf859438ca8510cfdb332792.jpg

Reactions: SuperLory

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
I know this is old but for people curious, the friction spring is all you need to replace to make it run like gen. It does exactly what the liga wheels do and eats up the backlash. Get a gen one super cheap. Liga are nice but they are not any smoother than it was with a new friction spring.

Seacol

Horology Curious
6/3/24
Cheers guys,

I've yet seldomly enjoyed the beauty that is the SA4130 movement, but everytime I did, and especially when using the chronograph function, I was kind of put off the tiniest little bit. It didn't truly look like a fluent motion of the chronographs second hand and only when really focussing on it I wondered: Is this supposed to be like that?

So, now I just took the ol' reliable smartphone camera and a x20 loupe and tried to capture this one and look into it in more detail. Attached is the respective video I captured. Lo and behold, time seems truly relative when slowed down so much, wasn't even sure the video was playing for the first second.

As you can see, the jumps of the seconds hand in sub-second paces is inhomogenous - there's two distances that this seconds hand travels alternatingly in (seemingly) consistent temporal intervals. So it might not be the actual beats, but the distance they travel with each beat, that created that impression of some-not-so-sweep chronograph second hand movement.

Now I wonder: Is this supposed to be like this or is it some irregularity with my particular movement? I do not have the necessary expertise nor the understand to fully understand how the chronographs seconds hand is integrated into the movement, so I'd be very interested to read some educated opinion in regards to that. For me personally, it is not a true issue. After all, the chronograph itself works pretty fine and has been doing so for a while a time and passed time can be measured rather accurately with this nonetheless.

alternative: [video]https://streamable.com/8fzmkg[/video]

Best,
tdx18
I have this exact same issue in 3 Daytonas/. Did you figure out how to fix it? Many thanks!