• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen movement’s vs clone

Hcoffee24

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
29/3/20
Hello,
I am looking to buy a used gen watch but a little scared because I’m not sure about the movement. Since clones can fit into a gen case, how can I determine if the watch has the original movement or been replaced with clone?? I’m a noob sorry

Sent from the RWI App

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
hopefully you will buy from a reputable source? Also full set of paperwork, original boxes etc.? Some watches have an online registration portal for serial number where you can check your watch.

I dont think any reputable source would go through the process of removing the original movement, find an exact replica movement and place it into the original case and then sell it to you with all the other OEM materials with it?

Also not every watch has a perfect clone movement out there so chances are this wont really work.

Ill let others chime in

Hcoffee24

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
29/3/20
Doing research on here and different sites online I found old models watches like 1970's-1990's (my price range) does not come with paperwork work or OG box. Looking through sale forms on here, I see a lot of "SUPERFRANKEN" watches which is gen everything beside movement. With my untrained eyes, it would hard to tell a difference. Can regular watch smith service a clone since it's basically the same movement as Gen?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
What's the source of the watch? Many are rebuilt. If it's a standard movement then your watchsmith should be able to service it.

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
i would certainly ask the seller on movement details (without suggesting you think he switched them out).

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I would check the movement’s balance spring. If it’s a breget overcoil spring, it’s gen. They haven’t been able to reproduce that yet. Though, I did hear that the 3235 can have a large number of gen parts. Including the balance bridge and spring so it’s getting tougher and tougher to figure out if a watch had all gen parts or not.

What caliber movement are you referring to?
If it’s anything before 3135s, there are no reps of it. 3035s, 1570s..etc were never cloned. So far the only cloned rolex movements are 3135, 3130, 4130, and 3235. 3235s are the ones to watch out for since they can host most gen parts. But if you’re buying any piece before 90s, you’re most likely gonna get all gen movement.

It’s just a matter of knowing what it looks like. You can easily find pictures of those calibers online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk