• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3120 Rotor in Platinum or other non-Gold Metal??

billykhan

Horology Curious
8/3/20
Hi folks. Newbie here to the forum, and as I introduced myself on the forum am actually not at all into Reps. However, I have a very peculiar issue for which I doubt I will get any feedback on the Genuine watch Forums.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I recently acquired my first AP (an SS RO 15450 Grey Dial) after many months of waiting and wishing. The watch is absolutely perfect in all ways, and I couldn't have been happier. Alas, I seemed to have missed out a very major detail in the composition of the watch. It was only after paying and taking delivery of the watch that I realised the rotor of the movement was made of solid 22ct Gold, and due to my religious beliefs, now find myself in a serious quandry as to whether I can even wear the watch or not! Majority opinion seems to veer to side of it not being permissible so I'm totally bummed :(

It would appear that pretty much every AP RO over the last many years has a movement with a solid Gold rotor, so I seem to be s**t out of luck finding an alternative. The only option I could actually think of was to replace the genuine rotor with a replica in either Platinum (or even Plated Gold, which may be acceptable from a religious point of view) and replace the rotor at service time (which I'm hoping wouldn't be very often).

The only other alternative would be to pick up the best quality rep (JF I believe) with a plated/non-solid Gold Rotor, which would certainly fool my peers (since they know the rest of my collection is Gen) but not sure whether it would really satisfy me in the long-term. I could live with a frankenwatch of my own choice, knowing 99% of the watch is Gen.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been absolutely bummed over the last couple of days and haven't been able to work or sleep with this issue constantly in my head. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :helpsmilie:

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Changing anything in a genuine watch will result in it being a Franken as it has a part that doesn't belong to it (which affects value and sometimes performance). I believe best would be to have a custom rotor made (maybe with your families coat of arms instead the Audemars and Piguet one or your initials) but buying a rep to be in the clear on the religious side would be counter productive as everyone will be thinking you are wearing real gold unless you tell them it's a replica.

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Forgot to add that AP also offer a rotor customization programme which is usually in the 7000$ plus range on top of the cost of the watch hence why I suggested getting it custom made at a jeweler as it will be around a quarter of the cost if you use non precious metals. When sending it for servicing you can always have it changed back to the original so AP wouldn't refuse it.

billykhan

Horology Curious
8/3/20
Changing anything in a genuine watch will result in it being a Franken as it has a part that doesn't belong to it (which affects value and sometimes performance). I believe best would be to have a custom rotor made (maybe with your families coat of arms instead the Audemars and Piguet one or your initials) but buying a rep to be in the clear on the religious side would be counter productive as everyone will be thinking you are wearing real gold unless you tell them it's a replica.

Custom rotor is definitely what I had in mind, but I wouldn't even know where to start...I doubt AP would be willing to build me one, even at a cost? Any ideas where I could go for one and obviously get someone competent enough to fit it for me :confused:

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
I doubt AP would be willing to build me one, even at a cost? Any ideas where I could go for one and obviously get someone competent enough to fit it for me
They actually do build them for customers for a good chunk of money (check post #3 of the thread), any reputable jeweler should be able to custom make one and fit it!

billykhan

Horology Curious
8/3/20
They actually do build them for customers for a good chunk of money (check post #3 of the thread), any reputable jeweler should be able to custom make one and fit it!

Thanks a lot, I may actually get some sleep today and get some work thanks to you. Seems there is still some hope, just need to do some running around:thanks:

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
No worries, would definitely recommend checking Sharjah's gold souq, have had a few custom pieces done by jewelers there over the years and they all turned out great!

billykhan

Horology Curious
8/3/20
Hi again. Sorry I’ve been pretty lazy and not really got round to checking Sharjah Gold Souq. Seeing as you’ve had some customization done there yourself, are there any jewellers you might be able to recommend I check out? While I’m at it, do you think getting the Markers and hands also changed to platinum/rhodium would be an option? I may not opt to do all this on the brand new 15450, but am considering getting a 14790 and maybe going full crazy on it ????