• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

a3186 movement questions / concerns

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
I recently purchased the GMF GMT Master II, batman. It has the a3186 movement, and I have read a lot of conflicting info regarding this movement. I have read that no other GMT movement will fit properly in this case. I have also read that the 3186 is just a 2836 clone decorated to look like the Gen 3186. Since the 2836 was offered as an optional movement for this watch, I'm wondering why it wouldn't fit in the same case. I have read that most of the parts of the 3186 are interchangeable with the 2836, is this true? My problem is that the crown already feels "sloppy" in my 3186, and I am afraid to set it because I do not want a $450 paperweight. If I knew that there was another movement I could drop in here... even with slight modification- I'd be a lot happier. Even if I could source parts or a replacement 3186- I'd feel better. Does anyone have any experience with this? I do not particularly care about the CHS anymore- if I could swap the movement out and have ICHS- even if it means replacing the hands... I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
3186 is modified 2836.

If it fails you can swap 2836 but you might need new set of hands etc. So yeah it's doable but not plug and play.

There is a workaround if the CHS fail that KJ is working on. Require glueing and drilling a hole in the main plate.

Either way without watchsmith you can't do nothing.

Here it is what makes this movement a problem notice broken spring.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that part manufacture d from better quality spring steel

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
3186 is modified 2836.

If it fails you can swap 2836 but you might need new set of hands etc. So yeah it's doable but not plug and play.

There is a workaround if the CHS fail that KJ is working on. Require glueing and drilling a hole in the main plate.

Either way without watchsmith you can't do nothing.

Here it is what makes this movement a problem notice broken spring.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that part manufacture d from better quality spring steel

What is that spring responsible for? I have read that the GMT function is the weak point. Looks like maybe that tube is for the GMT hand?

Essentially, what you're saying, is I could swap out the 2836, given a set of appropriate hands? Does the dial match up, to the best of your knowledge? Everything else? Crown, etc?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
What is that spring responsible for? I have read that the GMT function is the weak point. Looks like maybe that tube is for the GMT hand?

Essentially, what you're saying, is I could swap out the 2836, given a set of appropriate hands? Does the dial match up, to the best of your knowledge? Everything else? Crown, etc?

Credit goes to :
KJ2020

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...swap-your-chs-movement-to-ichs-is-it-possible

Things you will need to replace your CHS movement
_
Replacement ICHSWhat you need
2836 ICHSCHS case crown
CHS case movement holder
CHS or ICHS dial
ICHS datewheel with DWO (or CHS DWO cut off and swapped to 2836 DW)
2836 ICHS Movement
2836 ICHS dial spacer
Hour and GMT hands (or whole new set)
DG 2813/3804 ICHSCHS case crown
CHS case movement holder
CHS or ICHS dial (3804 dial must fit and have gen-spec date window position or CHS dial needs feet cut and redone)
ICHS datewheel with DWO (or CHS DWO cut off and swapped to 3804 DW)
3804 ICHS Movement
3804 ICHS dial spacer
Whole new hands set

Possible fix:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo.../304335-why-the-chs-gmt-movements-are-failing

Reactions: KJ2020