• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone clarify what this movement is?

johnay1971

Horology Curious
8/7/19
Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me identify this movement please. TIA.
28d972fb5781a3950076f6a46ed46c68.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnay1971

Horology Curious
8/7/19
I’ve noticed there’s a mark YC under the balance. Is this a manufacturer’s mark? Could anyone point me in the direction of how to remove the movement please.
c7111b1d2ab4824bf5577b8731974ccd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's a copy of the Miyota 8215, known as a generic Asian 23 j movement.

Starting from the crown, moving along the stem as it goes into the case, just after the plastic movement holder, and directly in line with the stem, there is a cogged wheel. Just above this wheel there is a small button with an indent in it - this is the stem release button.

Unscrew the crown, put it in the time set position, give it a half turn. Now, whilst pulling gently on the crown, push down on the stem release button with the tip of a small screw driver, or something small and pointed - a wooden cocktail stick will do.
Push down slowly, whilst pulling gently on the crown - you are waiting for the moment when there is sufficient pressure applied to the stem release button to allow the stem to come out - if it's not coming out, don't suddenly press down harder, you'll screw up the keyless works - slowly, gently does it.

Reactions: johnay1971

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17

Starting from the crown, moving along the stem as it goes into the case, just after the plastic movement holder, and directly in line with the stem, there is a cogged wheel. Just above this wheel there is a small button with an indent in it - this is the stem release button.

Unscrew the crown, put it in the time set position, give it a half turn. Now, whilst pulling gently on the crown, push down on the stem release button with the tip of a small screw driver, or something small and pointed - a wooden cocktail stick will do.
Push down slowly, whilst pulling gently on the crown - you are waiting for the moment when there is sufficient pressure applied to the stem release button to allow the stem to come out - if it's not coming out, don't suddenly press down harder, you'll screw up the keyless works - slowly, gently does it.

This is why you're my favourite.

Quick follow up question - If for some reason the stem doesn't release easily and assuming the keyless is still fine, do you have any tips to try and assist in releasing it? Perhaps screwing the crown back in and starting again? Rotating the hands? Saying a prayer to the god of horology?

Reactions: johnay1971

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This is why you're my favourite.

Quick follow up question - If for some reason the stem doesn't release easily and assuming the keyless is still fine, do you have any tips to try and assist in releasing it? Perhaps screwing the crown back in and starting again? Rotating the hands? Saying a prayer to the god of horology?

It happens sometimes that the stem doesn't want to come out - I have found that threatening it with truly appalling levels of physical violence can sometimes make the difference, but not always.

If it's not coming out, and you've tried screwing back down, then starting again, first try pushing the release button a little below the metal plate - AKA pushing it in too far (but just a little) and as a last resort try it with the crown in the winding position.

If it still won't come out then it's probable something isn't seated correctly inside, which means you'll have to push the release button right in and deal with a screwed up keyless works.

johnay1971

Horology Curious
8/7/19

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
It happens sometimes that the stem doesn't want to come out - I have found that threatening it with truly appalling levels of physical violence can sometimes make the difference, but not always.

If it's not coming out, and you've tried screwing back down, then starting again, first try pushing the release button a little below the metal plate - AKA pushing it in too far (but just a little) and as a last resort try it with the crown in the winding position.

If it still won't come out then it's probable something isn't seated correctly inside, which means you'll have to push the release button right in and deal with a screwed up keyless works.

Lovely, thanks mate.