• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noobs' guide to movement types

constantwatch

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/3/11
Thanks very much for your info on the Asian 3135 clones vs the 2824s & 2836s. I now know what to buy.

D

d4m.test

Good show appled

Others have pretty much said it all already, but Good Show appled. Very helpful stuff, great effort, Thank You.

Robbo73

27/5/11
As a slightly obsessive compulsive noob with a new hobby, many thanks for this information... REALLY helpful.

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
25% failure rate?

I don't have data either way to say yes or no to that, but his comment appears to be based on others opinions.

I think the issue is quality control of how the watch is constructed and the fact that many movements aren't lubed. We're dealing with an off-market here, but the dealers on this site have committed to working with members to provide a good experience. Issue is, when a watch fails, it's about $25 to ship it back to China for fixin'.

appled

Known Member
26/8/10
It really is luck of the draw, and depends what you buy. my experience so far is:
- 2x 21J watches, both broke within 2 months
- one A7750, arrived faulty and had to be returned (hairspring fault)
- one A2836, had to be returned as dealer sent 21J by mistake
- one A2824, works perfectly
- one 6497, works perfectly
- one quartz, works perfectly
I am sure some people are more lucky, some less.

appled

Known Member
26/8/10
Hi Phil,
I am not sure about the watch you link to, but I believe that '21j' is a generic term now and these movements may actually contain more than 21 jewels. I think '23j' is (confusingly) in the '21j' category....

Phil_UK

4/6/11
Hi Phil,
I am not sure about the watch you link to, but I believe that '21j' is a generic term now and these movements may actually contain more than 21 jewels. I think '23j' is (confusingly) in the '21j' category....

Ahhh....thanks. Yep...that's confusing! :)

philipg

Horology Curious
29/7/12
This thread is excellent. Thank you for a compulsive read, and a lesson in movements.