• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss ETA vs Shanghai “Swiss” ETA

Conrad

Known Member
7/9/17
Holy Land
Dear experts, your comments here would be appreciated.

I’ve bought a BLNR Swiss ETA decorated from Hont and two experiences watchsmiths said it’s not swiss, cannot be serviced as Swiss and Swiss ETA parts would not match.

I’m very ambivalent regarding the watch I’ve purchased at the moment, I updated Hont with my findings and he agreed I should write a post regarding my issue.

Here are photos of the movement :

e5fc6c63c4c3347e2d8a0aa09376930a.heic

b9bfc83e78d918ea468745870ccc5213.heic

Thanks in advance

Sent from the RWI App

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Both photos are out of focus, Conrad. We will need new pictures to be able to take a look.

D

d4m.test

Both photos are out of focus, Conrad. We will need new pictures to be able to take a look.
I'll get on it as soon as I get home to my kit, mind telling me what are your indicators in the meanwhile?

robertk8

Known Member
23/4/17
Some advice, NEVER order a replica watch for the advertised premium Swiss movement option price. You won't receive a new Swiss movement, but a mismatch of bits, or simple Asian movement.

D

d4m.test

Some advice, NEVER order a replica watch for the advertised premium Swiss movement option price. You won't receive a new Swiss movement, but a mismatch of bits, or simple Asian movement.

This is unfortunately what I believe I'm dealing with here, after two different local watchsmiths opened it and gave their opinions. Speaking with Hont (which is a long time reliable dealer) he sounds very confident and pratcially 'made' me do this post, so here we are!

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
There should be an ETA logo and movement model number engravings on the baseplate near the balance wheel for starters.

What you have there looks like a Chinese clone of an ETA movement decorated to look like a Rolex movement.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Better pics needed for sure but it sure looks clone to me right now

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
There should be an ETA logo and movement model number engravings on the baseplate near the balance wheel for starters.

What you have there looks like a Chinese clone of an ETA movement decorated to look like a Rolex movement.

not true , ive seen swiss where the hit they ETA log with perlage and it gets wiped out

D

d4m.test

Better pics needed for sure but it sure looks clone to me right now

Thanks guys. Dave, if that turns out to be a clone instead of Swiss, what should be my next step?

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Let Hont know

robertk8

Known Member
23/4/17
This is unfortunately what I believe I'm dealing with here, after two different local watchsmiths opened it and gave their opinions. Speaking with Hont (which is a long time reliable dealer) he sounds very confident and pratcially 'made' me do this post, so here we are!

Tony isn't to blame, its the factories who lie

D

d4m.test

I'm not trying to 'blame' anyone, our communication has been very constructive and I wouldn't post this thread if he had not asked me to. I just want what I paid for, obivously even in the listing a Swiss ETA costs more.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
if it's an eta clone I'm not sure why it can't be serviced and eta parts used if necessary

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Its a clone.

But yes, everything except the bridges and main plate can be replaced with eta 2836 parts. I just did it on one of mine

D

d4m.test

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
The presence of an ETA logo and numbers means nothing.
147c09bbf2b0c4f292c6beca57e70fb0.jpg

This is a $75.00 Asian clone.
Really the best advice is not to buy "Swiss" etas from China.

D

d4m.test

The presence of an ETA logo and numbers means nothing.
147c09bbf2b0c4f292c6beca57e70fb0.jpg

This is a $75.00 Asian clone.
Really the best advice is not to buy "Swiss" etas from China.

Well, I guess it’s a lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

Better photos :

371ac88600afcdb8ffbf78dd9eabbdcc.heic

a5b1830cc775e80b063a9e1acddd68f3.heic

Picture on TD’s website of this watch movement:

e65add5cd758bfc516f546a4fdfd1cb0.jpg

Clearly a big difference .

Sent from the RWI App