• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement options after the A7750 dies

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
So after 5 reps and one gen, I've reached a point where I just don't see anything out there that I want to buy. I've acquired pretty much everything I've ever wanted to own. Most of my watches run on A7750 because I like automatics. Knowing A7750's reputation, I fully expect the movements to start craping out with time. I'm not going to service them mainly because I can't find a reliable watch smith who would want to service an A7750 (and reasonably).

What are the movement options to replace the A7750 with? Something that won't cost an arm and a leg but it would be a good upgrade, it is available and easy to find?

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Well, what watches are we talking about? A native configuration 7750 is compatible with ETA except for the chronograph seconds hand. You either need a gen chronograph seconds hand or the handstack from the rep transplanted over. A non chronograph 7750 you can have the chronograph subdials removed from a ETA 7750 and have it installed. A modified 7750, no viable option beyond service.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
Well, what watches are we talking about? A native configuration 7750 is compatible with ETA except for the chronograph seconds hand. You either need a gen chronograph seconds hand or the handstack from the rep transplanted over. A non chronograph 7750 you can have the chronograph subdials removed from a ETA 7750 and have it installed. A modified 7750, no viable option beyond service.

I have a Breitling Avenger Chrono and 3 Panerai - all four with second at 9. Also one gen Omega Seamaster Chrono and IWC BP 5009 (don't remember the movement in it but something different than a 7750). Never use the chrono functions, ever.

So when you say ETA, what should I be looking for? I'm sure there are more than one option.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I've had a gen ETA installed in my Skyland Avenger.

Not cheap as a fresh gen ETA 7750 will run about $450 (I got mine from Otto Frei, http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html . You want the 25 jewel version as the 17 jewel to my understanding is the older, low beat design), but OMG, this thing runs +/- 2 seconds per week and the chronograph runs beautifully. With your super avenger, you will need to speak with your watchsmith if they will try to transplant the handstack or if you should source a new handset. Drchrono on ebay is who I got mine from., but he's currently away. The panerai if non chrono can still use the ETA 7750, only modification is the chronograph subdials will need to be removed. The minute, hour and seconds hand are all compatable (also true for the super avenger). An alternative is you can pick up a new A7750 for $100 - $150 on ebay and have it installed. The native configuration 7750s which you have are generally reliable and should run for years. Side note, I saw a Breitling 13 movement (ETA770) listed for $595 on ebay earlier today and a few gen dials should you want to go full on franken with it.

As far as the Seamaster and IWC, those you are stuck with servicing them as you will severely devalue the watch should you swap the movement, also, depending on the model, there may not be a viable option to swap.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
I've had a gen ETA installed in my Skyland Avenger.

Not cheap as a fresh gen ETA 7750 will run about $450 (I got mine from Otto Frei, http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html . You want the 25 jewel version as the 17 jewel to my understanding is the older, low beat design), but OMG, this thing runs +/- 2 seconds per week and the chronograph runs beautifully. With your super avenger, you will need to speak with your watchsmith if they will try to transplant the handstack or if you should source a new handset. Drchrono on ebay is who I got mine from., but he's currently away. The panerai if non chrono can still use the ETA 7750, only modification is the chronograph subdials will need to be removed. The minute, hour and seconds hand are all compatable (also true for the super avenger). An alternative is you can pick up a new A7750 for $100 - $150 on ebay and have it installed. The native configuration 7750s which you have are generally reliable and should run for years. Side note, I saw a Breitling 13 movement (ETA770) listed for $595 on ebay earlier today and a few gen dials should you want to go full on franken with it.

As far as the Seamaster and IWC, those you are stuck with servicing them as you will severely devalue the watch should you swap the movement, also, depending on the model, there may not be a viable option to swap.

That's exactly what I have in black steel. Got it on a whim, now it is one of my favorites. Get compliments on it all the time...

Thank you so much for the info, exactly what I was hoping to get!