• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3235 winding direction

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all,

I've searched through this section of the forums looking for an answer, but haven't noticed anything so far (but my apologies if it's been covered). My understanding of the Rolex 3235 is that it winds just like an ETA (opposite direction of the 3135). However, all the videos where the TDs are winding a 3235 clone movement have the wind direction going clockwise like you'd expect for a 3135!

Are these 3235 movements just the 3135 with a different label?

Thanks in advance.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Are you referring to the time setting or actually winding the watch? The actual winding is the same. What maker do you have? VSF 3235 is a true clone of the Rolex 3235 so yes the time setting is opposite. Some others are taking a 3135 clone and engraving it with 3235.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Are you referring to the time setting or actually winding the watch? The actual winding is the same. What maker do you have? VSF 3235 is a true clone of the Rolex 3235 so yes the time setting is opposite. Some others are taking a 3135 clone and engraving it with 3235.

Sorry, the time setting is what I'm referring to. The EWF example lists 3235 but the time is set clockwise, lots of BP/GMF and some ARF videos have it too. https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=23724

Thanks

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Sorry, the time setting is what I'm referring to. The EWF example lists 3235 but the time is set clockwise, lots of BP/GMF and some ARF videos have it too. https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=23724

Thanks

Ok, since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is 3000 words....

VSF-3235781f706bb2993384.gif

VSF 3235

116710-3185375dc942ef4bd2b0.gif

Rolex 3186 (same base movement as 3135)

16800-3035ca1e3d38ff8ccf2e.gif

Rolex 3035

If you see the time setting on a TD website same direction as the 3186, then it's a clone 3135 engraved to look like the 3235, also, only the 3235 will have a 72 hour power reserve. The others will be 40 hours give or take. As of now, only VSF had a true clone 3235 and their future is uncertain so be aware of any 211610 reps listed if the movement is of concern to you. The 72 hour power reserve is a nice feature though, I will say. Between the VSF and my tudor GMT I'm getting spoiled being able to leave a watch sit over the weekend and it still be running (most of the time depending if it was fully charged on friday night) hope this helps clarify.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
If you see the time setting on a TD website same direction as the 3186, then it's a clone 3135 engraved to look like the 3235, also, only the 3235 will have a 72 hour power reserve. The others will be 40 hours give or take. As of now, only VSF had a true clone 3235 and their future is uncertain so be aware of any 211610 reps listed if the movement is of concern to you. The 72 hour power reserve is a nice feature though, I will say. Between the VSF and my tudor GMT I'm getting spoiled being able to leave a watch sit over the weekend and it still be running (most of the time depending if it was fully charged on friday night) hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for the informative response. Makes no sense having a clone movement that is functionally different from what is claimed. These factories should just state that they're using the older movement, otherwise they should just use an ETA.

Thanks again.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thank you for the informative response. Makes no sense having a clone movement that is functionally different from what is claimed. These factories should just state that they're using the older movement, otherwise they should just use an ETA.

Thanks again.

Well, there's a two pronged issue here. One, not all makers can access the VR3235 movements, so they are stuck making due with what they have. Let's be realistic, most people will not understand the nuances of the different generation of movements any more then they will understand the decorated to look like a Rolex caliber 3235 (IE a 2824 with deco plates) vs a true superclone with some level of parts interchangeability with the genuine movement and function. Two, VSF got raided which further depleted the availability of the 3235 clones.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
It’s also worth noting the EWF is using a Hangzhou 7200, which is not an actual clone of either 2824 or 3135, but does have 72hr PR. It’s a cheap movement, I would avoid it.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Well, there's a two pronged issue here. One, not all makers can access the VR3235 movements, so they are stuck making due with what they have. Let's be realistic, most people will not understand the nuances of the different generation of movements any more then they will understand the decorated to look like a Rolex caliber 3235 (IE a 2824 with deco plates) vs a true superclone with some level of parts interchangeability with the genuine movement and function. Two, VSF got raided which further depleted the availability of the 3235 clones.

True, the names Asian clone, Asian super clone might be confusing to some. I do think the ETA or Miyota modifications are sometimes an art in themselves.

Thanks for the informative reply. It's greatly appreciated.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter

Sorry, I forgot to add that it seems a little weird (even though I get that they're using what they have), as I'm assuming the ETA movement was initially modded so it sets time clockwise was to overcome the instant tell that a 3135 Rolex should set clockwise. Getting a 3135 clone and labeling it as a 3235 but keeping the mod that makes it set clockwise is counter-productive. If a gen has an ETA then the rep with the ETA would be more convincing unless you open the back.

Having said that, my whole point is ridiculous as nobody is ever going to ask to play with my watch and set the time ;).

Thanks all for the input.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Sorry, I forgot to add that it seems a little weird (even though I get that they're using what they have), as I'm assuming the ETA movement was initially modded so it sets time clockwise was to overcome the instant tell that a 3135 Rolex should set clockwise. Getting a 3135 clone and labeling it as a 3235 but keeping the mod that makes it set clockwise is counter-productive. If a gen has an ETA then the rep with the ETA would be more convincing unless you open the back.

Having said that, my whole point is ridiculous as nobody is ever going to ask to play with my watch and set the time ;).

Thanks all for the input.

No. The superclone (SA, SH, VRF, etc) 3135 is an actual clone of a Rolex 3135, not a modified ETA clone. If a watch is labeled A3135 then it's an ETA clone modified to look like a 3135, but function would be unaltered. The 3135 decorations are useless since Rolex is a closed back watch.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
No. The superclone (SA, SH, VRF, etc) 3135 is an actual clone of a Rolex 3135, not a modified ETA clone. If a watch is labeled A3135 then it's an ETA clone modified to look like a 3135, but function would be unaltered. The 3135 decorations are useless since Rolex is a closed back watch.

Excluding superclones, I thought that cheap Asian 3135s like those found in BP watches were just ETA with a modified so they set clockwise.

Is that correct?

that's kind of a side topic though, as the main point I was making is that having something named 3235 clone is redundant if it sets the opposite direction of the gen.

Apologies for the confusing comment. Cheers

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Sorry for the confusion Rx4Time the main point I was trying to make is that going to the effort of making plates that read 3235 like on this watch here https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=20943 but having it set in the wrong direction is a redundant effort on the watchmakers behalf as it's an instant tell from just setting the time. They could just throw an ETA in these reps that are supposed to set anti-clockwise.

Thanks for all the other information though. Could you please correct me if I'm wrong regarding the non-superclone 3135s as they set like a gen 3135 but I thought they were ETAs with a slight mod so they set like a gen?

Cheers

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ok. So this can get confusing. The 3035 and 3235 set the time in the same direction as an ETA 2824 or 2836. No modifications done with the 28xx movement as they set the same direction. The 3135 sets the opposite and the 28xx based clones are not modified to change the direction of time setting, so they are opposite of the genuine. Only thing done is they add decoration plates so it looks somewhat like a genuine movement.... won't fool a watchsmith, so it's pointless.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
That's what I mean though, the 3235 clone on the link I added sets the time clockwise like on a 3135.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Ok. So this can get confusing. The 3035 and 3235 set the time in the same direction as an ETA 2824 or 2836. No modifications done with the 28xx movement as they set the same direction. The 3135 sets the opposite and the 28xx based clones are not modified to change the direction of time setting, so they are opposite of the genuine. Only thing done is they add decoration plates so it looks somewhat like a genuine movement.... won't fool a watchsmith, so it's pointless.

Okay, I fully get the winding direction part and my apologies for not making that clear at first. I do have a question and a opinion listed below and would really appreciate your opinions please.

1. The BP OP in the link below has an A3132 and sets like a real 3132 (clockwise), but Trusty told me it's not a real cloned 3135. I assumed it was an ETA modded to set clockwise. https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_236&products_id=17456
are these non superclones independent of other builds or mods of a different movement?

2. On the 3235 clone issue, the link below has a decorated movement that says 3235 but sets clockwise which is opposite to the gen. Seems like a complete waste don't you think? https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=20943

Thanks for the help and apologies if my points have been confusing.

Cheers

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Okay, I fully get the winding direction part and my apologies for not making that clear at first. I do have a question and a opinion listed below and would really appreciate your opinions please.

1. The BP OP in the link below has an A3132 and sets like a real 3132 (clockwise), but Trusty told me it's not a real cloned 3135. I assumed it was an ETA modded to set clockwise. https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_236&products_id=17456
are these non superclones independent of other builds or mods of a different movement?

2. On the 3235 clone issue, the link below has a decorated movement that says 3235 but sets clockwise which is opposite to the gen. Seems like a complete waste don't you think? https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=20943

Thanks for the help and apologies if my points have been confusing.

Cheers

1. The BP uses a SH movement based on the pictures on their website, cross referencing other dealers and the description of the direction the crown moves the hands.

2. The 3235 you linked is an ETA clone movement with decorative bridge. Notice the micro adjust screw by the balance? That is not on any superclone movement or genuine movement.

I think you're getting confused about the semantics of the replica world. When in doubt look at multiple dealers website as they don't know every detail of every watch beyond what the factory tells them.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
1. The BP uses a SH movement based on the pictures on their website, cross referencing other dealers and the description of the direction the crown moves the hands.

2. The 3235 you linked is an ETA clone movement with decorative bridge. Notice the micro adjust screw by the balance? That is not on any superclone movement or genuine movement.

I think you're getting confused about the semantics of the replica world. When in doubt look at multiple dealers website as they don't know every detail of every watch beyond what the factory tells them.

Ahh, thank you very much. This is very helpful.

Cheers