• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3135 Crown Locking/Winding Issue

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
There seems to have some issue on the VR3135 in my newly received ZF 116 Sub. When locking down the crown from the 1st position it also does the winding action onto the movement, it is supposed not to be under normal circumstances.
Does this mean the winding stem is being too long or too short? Or the movement is malfunctioning though it seems running ok for now.
Any advices from the expertise would be most appreciated.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Either your stem is to short, or the clutch mechanism in your crown isn’t working correctly.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Either your stem is to short, or the clutch mechanism in your crown isn’t working correctly.

Thanks for the advice.
If it really is the clutch problem, will it deteriorate the movement if leaving it as it is? Or should I better fix the malfunctioning clutch?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks for the advice.
If it really is the clutch problem, will it deteriorate the movement if leaving it as it is? Or should I better fix the malfunctioning clutch?

As long as you avoid manually winding the watch by the crown then I cannot forsee you doing any damage. The malfunctioning part is actually inside the crown itself not the movement, There's a little spring which has probably partially collapsed which typically puts outward pressure to engage the winding mechanism on the movement. This unfortunately happens much more commonly in replicas than genuines but it does happen even in genuines.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
As long as you avoid manually winding the watch by the crown then I cannot forsee you doing any damage. The malfunctioning part is actually inside the crown itself not the movement, There's a little spring which has probably partially collapsed which typically puts outward pressure to engage the winding mechanism on the movement. This unfortunately happens much more commonly in replicas than genuines but it does happen even in genuines.

Thanks.
But I can't avoid manually winding the movement since this will happen when I screw down locking the crown onto the tube.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks.
But I can't avoid manually winding the movement since this will happen when I screw down locking the crown onto the tube.
The concern is not that it's slipping, but if its not grabbing to wind the movement. That is where the damage can occur. Screwing the crown down will not affect the movement since it's not engaging the gears.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
The concern is not that it's slipping, but if its not grabbing to wind the movement. That is where the damage can occur. Screwing the crown down will not affect the movement since it's not engaging the gears.

That's exactly the problem I am having. The winding gear is engaged when I screw down the crown to the lock position.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ahh. I misunderstood the issue. That would not be the fault of the crown clutch spring. Please disregard my advice above as it would not apply in this case. This would be either too short of stem or a keyless issue.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Ahh. I misunderstood the issue. That would not be the fault of the crown clutch spring. Please disregard my advice above as it would not apply in this case. This would be either too short of stem or a keyless issue.

Yeah, thanks again for your feedback.
Perhaps I will first look into stem length checking if it is really too short.

Maestroee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/17
Mine has the same issue. When I had it serviced it was told me that it shouldn’t be a problem.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Mine has the same issue. When I had it serviced it was told me that it shouldn’t be a problem.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

I have found out the problem actually comes from the crown itself. The tip of the crown failed to give a free turning when the spring inside is compressed from the action of screw locking. Change to a popular functioning crown the issue would be resolved.