• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MB spirit Date

alexpaf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/3/15
Hi.
Have any of you ever tried the MB Spirit Date rep? https://puretime.io/watch-brands/mon...-free-pen.html

I've talked to Jennifer about it, she claims it is a good rep. From the pics, comparing to the gen I couldn't find any major flaws. Even the movement (A2824) is close to the gen (Sellita SW200). https://www.montblanc.com/en/collec...montblanc-heritage-spirit-date-automatic.html

Idk, might not be the best rep around, but being a simple, still nice dress watch, I might give it a try! (Im between this or the AF Cartier Tank XL, what is your opinion about it?)

If anyone have experience with the montblanc reps and can help somehow, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

alexpaf

18/3/15
Hello everyone, I have decided to get the watch and give it a try!
Bought it from puretime, always good service.
It arrived a few days ago, so now I've decided to write a small review for you:

The watch is beautiful. Looks really nice and feels good on the wrist.
It is a 39mm watch, that can fly under the radar, but a good eye would easily recognize that is well detailed and very dressy.

The white sunburst dial is gorgeous, the date wheel is well positioned, and the seconds hand runs smoothly. Also, the second hands is blue-ish, so it looks great, the blue shines from certain angles and is more discrete from others (it looks like my holly grail watch - the Grand Seiko Snowflake - seconds hand).

The case is well built, has good polishing, with brushed sides, just like the gen, and the crown is also discrete, yet well made and beautiful.

The caseback looks great and well repped: The engravings look good and correctly positioned, and it has a nice transparent caseback, which reveals a the beautiful movement.

The movement itself is a decorated A2824, a reliable and accurate movement. The gen uses a Sellita SW200, which seems to me to be a similar movement to ETA, that begun to be used more widely when ETA stopped supplying watches that are not part of the Swatch group (please correct me if I am wrong). I think the movement differences should be imperceptible for almost anyone.
It is keeping good time. Idk how many seconds it actually gains or looses each day, but from the QC it seems to run around +3s/day

The black leather/croco strap, as usual, is where most reps fall short. It looks good, but feel a little plasticky. I will use it since i don't care that much, but I would recommend buying a third party leather strap, as there are so many good suppliers. The clasp is decorated, it is simple, but accurate.
Additionally, the watch comes with a pen. I don't even know if the pen is a replica of a MB existing collection of if it is only a cheap invented model. Either way, it looks ok, and even if it was trash, it comes with a MB rollerball reffil inside, so it's a win! :)

In conclusion, I think there is no deep investment from the factories to rep montblanc watches, because the basic montblancs are not that expensive. Still, even with little love from factories (and even buyers), i think they managed to rep with accuracy this model. I personally think it is an excellent option for a dress watch: right size (39mm) and thikness (9mm), it is not too flashy, but has a lot of personality and nice detailing. I actually went to an AD and tried the gen a few times, and even managed to take a few pictures.

pics:

REP:
20190705-161627.jpg

20190705-161648.jpg

20190705-161658.jpg

20190705-161716.jpg

20190705-161755.jpg

20190705-161808.jpg

20190705-161811.jpg

20190705-161836.jpg

20190705-161858.jpg

20190705-161948.jpg

20190705-161958.jpg

20190705-162009.jpg

20190705-162055.jpg

GEN
20190528-184215.jpg

20190619-195916.jpg

20190619-200436.jpg

Hope the review helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Glaude

cmf959

4/9/19
Thanks very much for this - literally looking for a very simple rep that no one would question and this fits the bill very nicely. How is the watch holding up after a couple of months wear? Same question for the pen, wouldn’t buy the watch because of the pen but at the same time seems a good deal that it comes free!

Reactions: alexpaf

alexpaf

18/3/15
Hi! The watch is doing great! Overall im very satisfied!
The main "problems" so far are
- The croco strap (as all rep straps), but im using it with no problems
- The manual winding isn't as smooth as the gen. Perhaps if i take it to a watchsmith it could be an easy fix. Otherwise the watch is running well and accurate.

Im really happy with it, it suits my day to day needs!

About the pen: it's crap! No use at all. The pen pocket/bag could be useful, but the quality isnt good either.

cmf959

4/9/19
That's great to know, straps are easily replaced and the fact that its keeping time great is the main thing. This watch is definitely on my list now, unfortunately it's a long list already!

Reactions: alexpaf