• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the secret to closing snap-in backs?

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Hello friends - I am having a terrible time trying to close the back of my watch (a Mondaine quartz). It is the press fit snap-in kind. I levered it open just fine using a case knife, everything is good, no bends or nicks. But I just can't get it back on. If I use my thumb to press in the center, it won't go. If I seat one side and then try to press in the other, again no joy - I think the angle puts the open side too far out of alignment. What's your secret?

Thanks for any help :)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
a crystal press

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Thank you. I thought there might be some trick, but of course the proper tool is always the right answer. I obtained a press and the job was done easily :cool:

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
[mention]Complete [/mention] hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention]Complete [/mention] hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On inexpensive quartz watches, I have had success with a pair of Mole Grips and two heavily wadded up cleaning cloths. Mole grips/locking pliers are also known as 'self-grip pliers', 'Mole wrenches', 'self-grip wrenches', and 'locking jaw pliers' in the UK,In the USA, Mole grips/locking pliers are also known as 'vise-grips', and in Japan they are known as 'vice pliers'.For those not in the UK . Adjust the jaws to the thickness of the watch and keep going up half a turn until the case snaps shut.