• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing date cyclops

Johnc4

Horology Curious
13/7/12
Hi. I am new to this forum, was directed here by a mod at r/reptime Reddit sub. I want to try and replace the very weak date magnifying cyclops on my Steinhart Ocean One with a proper, 2.5x one. If there are any members that can do this or direct me to someone who can, I would appreciate it. Thanks 8

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I do a lot rep modding and tried unsuccessfully to do this once. The very experienced crystal expert I sent it to next did an acceptable job on the cyclops gluing itself, but unfortunately the LEC ended up at 2 o'clock. Oops. A repeated attempt was not successful and I ended up buying an aftermarket replacement.

3cP94.jpg

Moral of the story is there are VERY few people capable of doing this well - I dont know of anyone who LIKES doing it. You would be much better off trying to find an aftermarket crystal with a 2.5x cyclops that is the correct diameter for your watch.

Here's the best a tech from Esslinger.com could do, in an instructional video. Seriously?

https://youtu.be/XsPIg82hd3k

Johnc4

Horology Curious
13/7/12
Thank you, i actually sent an email to them after a google search. You saved me from sending it out. Sounds like I will just live with it or get a good VSF / Noob or something to compliment it.
It’s a 42mm watch, so I thought finding a replacement crystal might be difficult. It’s their new Pepsi GMT which I like a lot, just the date mag sucks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you, i actually sent an email to them after a google search. You saved me from sending it out. Sounds like I will just live with it or get a good VSF / Noob or something to compliment it.
It’s a 42mm watch, so I thought finding a replacement crystal might be difficult. It’s their new Pepsi GMT which I like a lot, just the date mag sucks.

Esslinger has some replacement crystals with cyclops already on them. Or Clark's crystals on Ebay might have a suitable replacement. You would need to know the exact size and shape (side edge profile) of your current crystal to get a proper fitting one. Some crystals (like Rolex) have a stairstep edge profile whete the gasket fits to the lower step which is a smaller diameter.

In the pic below, the left crystal is gen-spec Rolex and the diameter is 29.5mm because it's measured at the lower step. The right crystal measures 30.5mm. So the measurements are different even though they would look the same if viewed from above on the watch.

RDwAX.jpg

Last edited: