• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO movement problem

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Hello!

I have the same problem with two movements inside my AP ROO's.
One is the Safari 2014 from Noob (bought new) and the 2nd one is the JF Novelty Titanium (bought 2nd hand and I was aware of the problem).

Two days ago I noticed the problem on my Noob Safari while I was already aware of this issue on my other JF AP Novelty Titanium.

Problem description : the subdial at 6 o'clock moves by itself to a certain point without the chrono being engaged. I noticed it moves on the Safari until 6hrs where it stops while on the Novelty it stops at 3hrs. Both of the watches work OK in terms of keeping time. This is really strange bcs it happens while the watch is without power reserve. Example, the watch works and once it stops because no PR left, I reset the subdial/chrono to 0 with the lower chrono button and after some time the subdial is again in the same position where it was before - 6hrs, without me touching the watch at all.

Did anybody else experienced the same problems or are my watches possessed and it is time to bring them to an exorcist rather than to the watchmaker?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Hello!

I have the same problem with two movements inside my AP ROO's.
One is the Safari 2014 from Noob (bought new) and the 2nd one is the JF Novelty Titanium (bought 2nd hand and I was aware of the problem).

Two days ago I noticed the problem on my Noob Safari while I was already aware of this issue on my other JF AP Novelty Titanium.

Problem description : the subdial at 6 o'clock moves by itself to a certain point without the chrono being engaged. I noticed it moves on the Safari until 6hrs where it stops while on the Novelty it stops at 3hrs. Both of the watches work OK in terms of keeping time. This is really strange bcs it happens while the watch is without power reserve. Example, the watch works and once it stops because no PR left, I reset the subdial/chrono to 0 with the lower chrono button and after some time the subdial is again in the same position where it was before - 6hrs, without me touching the watch at all.

Did anybody else experienced the same problems or are my watches possessed and it is time to bring them to an exorcist rather than to the watchmaker?

I had this issue on a tag here Grand Carrera caliber 32. The sub dial at 6 with sometimes wander, but would reset to zero if you push the reset button. I was never completely clear of the cause of problem but I've read that this is an issue sometimes with the A7750s especially the older ones. I believe it had something to do with the clutch mechanism on the cam, but I am far from an expert when it comes to these movements. I've had dozens of other watches with chronograph 7750 movements that never had this issue, only that one.

Reactions: dadog13

unreformed66

Known Member
Supporter
7/11/15
United States, Ohio
The most common cause of this problem on these is the crappy Chinese machining of the Hour Hammer (part 8680), Hour Hammer Operating Lever (part 8670) and Hour Hammer Operating Spring (part 8730). The spring is spread so that it holds the hammer and lever apart when the chronograph movement is at rest and lets them move into the running position when the chronograph is engaged. On a genuine ETA the hammer and lever have nice flat edges and sharp corners. On the poorly made Chinese parts they are stamped parts instead of machined parts and have rounded edges. So what happens is the spring slips out of place and there is no longer tension on the hammer and lever to hold the hour counter wheel still. Replace all 3 parts and the problem goes away.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Rx4Time
unreformed66

Thank you for your comments. Very helpful to understand where the issue comes from. I think I will leave the watches as is, will not bother repairing them at this point.