• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gluing Daytona Sweep Second Hand

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Hey Guys, I'm plannig to replace the large sweep second hand on my Noob Daytona in the near future (current hand works fine but is a little rough cosmetically) and was wondering if placing a tiny tiny bit of low strength loctite or maybe some diluted PVA glue (e.g. Elmers) in the sweep hand tube would be a good way to give a little extra hold for this hand....especially since it comes under some significant torque when the chronograph is reset. I was thinking just a "shimmer coating" with a light adhesive so it would not create a permanent bond. Any thoughts on how good (or bad) an idea this is?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I think you'll guarantee that anything the glue touches will not work again.... chronograph, minutes hand, entire pinion....you know, minor things like that. It'll guarantee your watch is accurate twice a day and you'll never have to wind it again.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I think you'll guarantee that anything the glue touches will not work again.... chronograph, minutes hand, entire pinion....you know, minor things like that. It'll guarantee your watch is accurate twice a day and you'll never have to wind it again.

That bad of an idea huh. Seemed logical in my newbie head. I got the idea watching a clock repair video where they watered down some PVA glue and used it to better secure a loose hand. Oh well, just trying to be proactive as I've read the sweep hand is prone to issues when resetting the chronograph...although it's not clear to me if that's due to a hand fitment issue (which in theory gluing should help) or a movement issue (which gluing would not help).

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
That bad of an idea huh. Seemed logical in my newbie head. I got the idea watching a clock repair video where they watered down some PVA glue and used it to better secure a loose hand. Oh well, just trying to be proactive as I've read the sweep hand is prone to issues when resetting the chronograph...although it's not clear to me if that's due to a hand fitment issue (which in theory gluing should help) or a movement issue (which gluing would not help).

Well if done correctly then it has the potential to work. there's a few different issues at work here when it comes to the chronograph seconds hand. first comes a set of rules that you should respect regardless if it's a replica or genuine with any Chronograph movement. The primary one is only reset the chronograph when the seconds hand is between 45 seconds and 15 seconds (+ or - 15 seconds from zero). There's a pretty strong spring in there which of roughly stops at the zero point, and it does put a pretty good amount of force on the hand which can cause it to slip. The only ones I've ever had slip were not from the reset but from the quick stop at the zero mark. The other issue is a replica specific issue and that is the medals that they tend to use are softer so they tend to become misshapen and not hold as well as their genuine counterparts, especially if they've been removed and installed multiple times. I personally wouldn't bother swapping in a genuine hand set into your Daytona because that will set you back a couple hundred dollars and not really add anything. The best course of action is just try and be gentle with the chronograph resetting if you decide to run it.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
The best course of action is just try and be gentle with the chronograph resetting if you decide to run it.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I will defintely take note when using the chronograph. What do you mean by "quick stop at the zero mark"?

As for the hands, I agree with not swapping in the gen (can't justify the expense for the marginal benefit). I'm actually waiting on a good Noob sweep hand to swap in....which should be enough to satisfy my OCD. I think clearly the best course of action is to swap in the Noob hand without adhesive. If I encounter any slippage, I may try a tiny (emphasis on tiny) shimmer of diluted PVA glue in the hand tube to help the situation. It may be worth the risk if things have already gone sideways. I supose I could also get a mircro crimper and try to crimp the hand tube as well...although it seems like that could be a challenge given its super small size.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Don't. Bad idea.

Yup, seems to be the general consensus. If the hand starts to slip, do you reccommend crimping the hand tube? If so, is there a good micro crimping tool you recommend?

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
If the hand slips, replace the whole hand. Crimping tools for watch hands cost 500+

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Have you had issues with this before? Seems like an odd solution unless it's fixing a pre existing problem?

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Have you had issues with this before? Seems like an odd solution unless it's fixing a pre existing problem?

Have not had issues yet, but it seems like the chrono hand slipping is fairly common from reading the boards. And I'm replacing the chrono hand in the next couple weeks (due to cosmetic issues) and thought since I'll have the watch open it might make sense to attempt some preventative maintenance....especially since I enjoy playing around with the chronograph.

amedman

27/7/06
I would not suggest any type of glue and would not do anything unless you 100% verify the hand is slipping which can occur when removing and resetting the chrono hand. If it does slip then I have heard of people placing one hair in the tube then pressing that in with the hair which takes up the gap. I have personally had luck with putting a small diameter wire (close to the size of the chrono pinion but slightly loser) then use a pin vice to gently squeeze the hand barrel only slightly. If you go to far you then need to use a broach to open it up. Know that the above is not easy to do and has a good chance of not working.If all else fails then just slightly pinch it above the opening with a sharp dyke. This should be a last resort since the only point holding the hand is at the pinch point so there is not a lot of surface area but it is worth a last resort shot. Know that I and many have messed up many a chrono hand!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Have not had issues yet, but it seems like the chrono hand slipping is fairly common from reading the boards. And I'm replacing the chrono hand in the next couple weeks (due to cosmetic issues) and thought since I'll have the watch open it might make sense to attempt some preventative maintenance....especially since I enjoy playing around with the chronograph.

Follow my advice for using the Chronograph and odds are low you'll have issues. Most issues occur when the seconds hand is towards the 6 o'clock point as it's got more momentum to stop when it hits zero.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I have personally had luck with putting a small diameter wire (close to the size of the chrono pinion but slightly loser) then use a pin vice to gently squeeze the hand barrel only slightly.

Thanks amedman and Rx4Time. Super helpful advice! I love the wire and pin vise idea. Very smart! I of course will save that neat little technique as a last resort if the chrono hand starts slipping (there's really nothing to loose in trying at that point).