• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TB's Watch Repair & Servicing Journey

Swiss Crown

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/21
Fr
many of us are looking for someone like you or oascom in france. unfortunately there is no one there. sadness.

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Wow this thread is inspiring! Also frankly a little daunting. I was thinking about diving into hobby watchmaking / modding / repairing but it’s evident that to do it properly requires a serious amount of high end tools. I have most of the basics but this is another level.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Wow this thread is inspiring! Also frankly a little daunting. I was thinking about diving into hobby watchmaking / modding / repairing but it’s evident that to do it properly requires a serious amount of high end tools. I have most of the basics but this is another level.

Yes it does indeed, and as most will tell you, it never stops hah!

Practice is the name of the game. Get comfortable with what you need to work on. The diagnosing and troubleshooting, while can be teached, comes with time in my opinion.

I started on the 6497s. Great movement to learn the basics.

Reactions: JNSD

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Yes it does indeed, and as most will tell you, it never stops hah!

Practice is the name of the game. Get comfortable with what you need to work on. The diagnosing and troubleshooting, while can be teached, comes with time in my opinion.

I started on the 6497s. Great movement to learn the basics.

Thanks for the advice, is there an easy place to get these "6497s" you speak of? Would love to get a couple of test subjects to cut my teeth on...

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Thanks for the advice, is there an easy place to get these "6497s" you speak of? Would love to get a couple of test subjects to cut my teeth on...

you can find them on Aliexpress easily. You can get one of those pam homage whole watch for 80$ or so...so you can practice with hands, crown etc

I'm currently in the : scared of removing those mofo hands phase. Not sure I will overcome.

Reactions: JNSD

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
you can find them on Aliexpress easily. You can get one of those pam homage whole watch for 80$ or so...so you can practice with hands, crown etc

I'm currently in the : scared of removing those mofo hands phase. Not sure I will overcome.

I just bit the bullet and pulled the hands off mine.. Was actually easy. It's putting them back on that concerns me!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I just bit the bullet and pulled the hands off mine.. Was actually easy. It's putting them back on that concerns me!

The hour and minute hands are easy. For the seconds hands you need to be low so you can view from the side and not from the top. Maybe even on your knees depending on bench height. Have plenty of bright light behind and use a 10x eye loupe. I put the tip of the underside of the seconds hand on a piece of electrical tape to use as a “handle” to guide the hand’s tube over the pin. It’s risky making attempts at this without being able to clearly see what you’re doing. If you try the tape method, don’t stick the hand too far onto the tape or you risk bending it when removing it. Just the tip is all you nerd. As you install hands view from the side to verify they are level and don’t touch each other.

Reactions: KJ2020 and JNSD

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Just get some plastic dial protectors and put that in top of the hands. And just use some very small hand levers and those smaller seconds hands will pop right off!

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Hey Everybody!

A couple weeks back I finally finished the Daytona build. Installed the dial, gen hands, prof 1x AR crystal, and cased it up! I think it looks fantastic and was a really fun build. I was able to regulate it to -2 seconds per day, and the amplitude stays fairly consistent in all positions ranging from 270-300.
I also got a sapphire caseback, which I was a little hesitant on. But I really think it looks fantastic. For anyone wanting to know, it adds around .6mm to the overall thickness.

Something odd to note, I had to modify the gen rotor a bit on this build. The weight of the rotor was contacting the bridges. I took off the chrono bridge and automatic bridge and reset them to no avail. I believe the bearing or rotor was off a little. I ended up milling down the backside of the rotor so it completely cleared.

Reactions: KJ2020 and wolfiqar

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hey Everybody!

A couple weeks back I finally finished the Daytona build. Installed the dial, gen hands, prof 1x AR crystal, and cased it up! I think it looks fantastic.

j6bCXD.jpg

Agreed bro, that's beautiful work. Which dial is that?

I like the caseback. Congrats on a great build!

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Agreed bro, that's beautiful work. Which dial is that?

I like the caseback. Congrats on a great build!

ARF V2 Dial. I've had it for a long time, and finally got around to using it. Vac shaved it down for me awhile back as I do not have a lathe...yet!!

I was iffy on the caseback due to the added thickness, but I love seeing the movement.

And thanks! Much appreciated! After the new year I plan to do my VS3235 with similar upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Congrats on an awesome build! Mind if I asked how you milled the rotor's back side? Do you have a mill or did you lap it?
You got braggin' rights on this one!

Reactions: KJ2020

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Congrats on an awesome build! Mind if I asked how you milled the rotor's back side? Do you have a mill or did you lap it?
You got braggin' rights on this one!

I shouldn't say milled.
I used some very course grit sandpaper and slowly took off material. I kept mounting the rotor back on until it cleared the bridges. Probably not the most effective way, but I don't have any fancy lathe or milling machines.

It was really odd. The rotor looks dead on when looked at, and the bearing seems set correctly to my untrained eye. Maybe the mounting location was wonky on the automatic bridge?
Regardless, it works now and looks perfectly fine!

Last edited:

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
The hour and minute hands are easy. For the seconds hands you need to be low so you can view from the side and not from the top. Maybe even on your knees depending on bench height. Have plenty of bright light behind and use a 10x eye loupe. I put the tip of the underside of the seconds hand on a piece of electrical tape to use as a “handle” to guide the hand’s tube over the pin. It’s risky making attempts at this without being able to clearly see what you’re doing. If you try the tape method, don’t stick the hand too far onto the tape or you risk bending it when removing it. Just the tip is all you nerd. As you install hands view from the side to verify they are level and don’t touch each other.

Ooh I would recommend using a bit of Rodico on the end of a wooden peg stick or one of those thicker toothpicks. Less likelihood of bending or leaving residue on the hands, and it’s much more forgiving than I imagine the adhesive on tape would be!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Ooh I would recommend using a bit of Rodico on the end of a wooden peg stick or one of those thicker toothpicks. Less likelihood of bending or leaving residue on the hands, and it’s much more forgiving than I imagine the adhesive on tape would be!

I touch my finger to the tape several times to remove much of the stickiness. It doesn’t take much to hold a seconds hand. Only attach the tip of the underside of the hand to the tape and pull gently to release after it’s set. No residue at all. Of course rodico and tweezers also work.

Reactions: keisuke_z

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
I touch my finger to the tape several times to remove much of the stickiness. It doesn’t take much to hold a seconds hand. Only attach the tip of the underside of the hand to the tape and pull gently to release after it’s set. No residue at all. Of course rodico and tweezers also work.

Carbon fiber curved tweezers work just fine for me!!