• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2824 to ETA movement swap? Thoughts?

UkBionic

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/1/20
NW England
Hi guys. I will be taking delivery of my first few reps in a few weeks, should everything go well with customs. One is a breitling blackbird gf v4 with a2824. I was thinking of potentially buying a Calvin Klein infinite watch, which comes with genuine eta2824, swapping the decorated rotors and movements, to give the blackbird a genuine ETA. Is it even worth the trouble and money? I could potentially resell the Calvin Klein afterwards, disclosing the movement change. I also have no experience working with watches. Are the Asian movements good enough?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Generally speaking an ETA is going to be better than an Asian clone. While aesthetically the Asian clone have done a great job, the parts are no always the best quality materials and QC can be lacking.
What’s important to note is ETA makes multiple grades of quality. The low end is good, not great.
if you’re opting to swap in an ETA, your safest purchase will be thru a legit watch parts retailer like Ofrei or Startime.
You could also consider a Sellita. While some argue they’re not as good as ETA, I think they’re pretty solid and less expensive.

Reactions: sukwonee

UkBionic

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/1/20
NW England
Generally speaking an ETA is going to be better than an Asian clone. While aesthetically the Asian clone have done a great job, the parts are no always the best quality materials and QC can be lacking.
What’s important to note is ETA makes multiple grades of quality. The low end is good, not great.
if you’re opting to swap in an ETA, your safest purchase will be thru a legit watch parts retailer like Ofrei or Startime.
You could also consider a Sellita. While some argue they’re not as good as ETA, I think they’re pretty solid and less expensive.

Thanks, where might one find a genuine sellita? How about seagulls too? All things considered it might be a better use of my money to get the rep serviced and just replace the movement further down the road. If it keeps time I may as well get the money I paid for out of the Asian movements first.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Otto frei, startime supply, cousins uk all sell swiss movements.