• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seeking Advice - what options do I have?

Samgobigs

11/2/20
I bought a PPF white Patek 5711 with the decorated Miyota 9015 movement.

The problem I am having with it is that I can’t hack or set the time on it. If the watch is wound, it runs, but there’s a problem when you pull the crown out to set the time.

The watch has been with a local watchsmith who has worked with reps before. I explained the situation to him and he tried fixing it for over 3 months but it looks like it won’t be successful. His explanation is that with replicas, it’s very hard to find replacement parts.

So maybe someone here can advise where I go from here. I’d love to fix this problem locally, preferably keeping the watch within North America. If there’s anyone interested in having me send it over for repairs I would prefer this.

The other option - and the one I am trying to avoid - is sending it back to China for repairs. I purchased the watch from Li (Jtime) who seems like a reliable TD, but I have also heard of watches getting lost in China. He recommended using registered mail with tracking, but at this point, this seems to be the only viable option.

Any advice from this group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The 9015 movement is cheap. If it were mine I would buy a new movement and give it to your watchmaker. Let him swap in whatever parts are needed up to and including the entire movement. Sending a rep back to China is not something I would do. Too expensive, risky, and time consuming.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Time setting issue could be a loose cannon pinion, but that doesn't explain not being able to hack...as KJ indicated, just get another movement...easy swap.

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Time setting issue could be a loose cannon pinion, but that doesn't explain not being able to hack...as KJ indicated, just get another movement...easy swap.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by a movement swap? Buy a new Miyota 9015 and swap the entire thing? Downside is that it would be an instant tell on looking at the Caseback. Or buying a new Miyota 9015 and just using it’s parts to replace whatever is defective in the watch?

The entire swap sounds like it would be better in the long term. From what I read the Miyota is suppose to be a stable movement.

By the way, is there any way to buy a decorated Miyota 9015? My TD said it would cost $200, which sounds a bit on the pricey side. Any other way of sourcing a decorated movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Miyota 9015 movement

The Miyota is not a replica movement, it's a real, genuine movement made by a real company.

Sounds like your watchmaker has no idea what he's talking about - it probably needs a keyless works reset, or a part is damaged - but I'd find another watchmaker if I were you. An issue with the keyless is hardly rocket science.

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
You cannot reuse the decorations on a normal 9015. They use thin plates that are screwed on top of the 9015 bridges. Those screw holes are not present on the 9015 out of the box. The idea of buying a new 9015 and using it for replacement parts is the way to go if the local watchmaker has to replace parts