• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tight movement clamps stopping movement

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Hi guys how is everybody?

I have a quick question about case clamps ...

Today I was assembling a raffles Tudor 34mm and I came across the following problem... When I tighten the case clamps the movement stops... I can't see if the hands a re pressing against the crystal, but I assume this is the problem... Because I can't think of anything else?

How can I prevent it, I can leave the clamps loose but too loose and the rotor touches the screw and the dial doesn't sits flush ...

Anyone faced this problem and know how to deal with it ?

Thanks in advance!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The dial doesn't look like it's centred, there is more dial visible outside the lume dots on the right hand side than on the left hand side.

Tightening the clamps will push the hand posts up against the edges of the dial hole.

Make sure everything is perfectly centred, make sure you have a dial spacer between dial and movement, if it still does it bend the clamps slightly so they curve downward.

Reactions: Voo-doo

Voo-doo

22/7/19
The dial doesn't look like it's centred, there is more dial visible outside the lume dots on the right hand side than on the left hand side.

Tightening the clamps will push the hand posts up against the edges of the dial hole.

Make sure everything is perfectly centred, make sure you have a dial spacer between dial and movement, if it still does it bend the clamps slightly so they curve downward.

Aargghhhh. Right !? How stupid of me. I totally forgot about the spacer.

About the allignment. I think you are correct but how does one allign the dial ? I just click it onto the movement and drop it in slowly. There doesn't seem much room for allignment?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Aargghhhh. Right !? How stupid of me. I totally forgot about the spacer.

About the allignment. I think you are correct but how does one allign the dial ? I just click it onto the movement and drop it in slowly. There doesn't seem much room for allignment?

If there are dial feet in place then the dial should auto-centre - maybe it's just the pic that makes it look like it's not centred. Anyway, if you've forgotten the dial spacer then this is probably what's stopping the movement from running.

Reactions: Voo-doo

Voo-doo

22/7/19
If there are dial feet in place then the dial should auto-centre - maybe it's just the pic that makes it look like it's not centred. Anyway, if you've forgotten the dial spacer then this is probably what's stopping the movement from running.

Thanks, will try to put the dial spacer asap.

Yes, the dial feet are in place. That´s why i´m a bit surprised that it doesnt auto-allign. I have checked but it's not just the picture, the allignment is bad. Maybe the spacer will help this also..

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks, will try to put the dial spacer asap.

Yes, the dial feet are in place. That´s why i´m a bit surprised that it doesnt auto-allign. I have checked but it's not just the picture, the allignment is bad. Maybe the spacer will help this also..

Check also the movement ring - it should be a snug fit in the case, and a snug fit on the movement - there should be no lateral movement. If there is lateral movement then not only will the dial not be aligned, but it also means everything moves over to one side when you screw down the crown - it pushes the movement and the hands up against the edges of the dial hole.

Reactions: Oascom and Voo-doo