16233 build / Raffles 2824 holes case questions / H4 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KJ2020 View Post

When you do your casework you might want to think about re-gluing your dial feet bro. Look at your 4 o'clock lume plot compared to 9 o'clock. That would would also help center your datewheel.

When I change dial feet, I sand the dial back to flush and also sand the foot bases to extremely thin. Then put the bases in the movement holes, anchor them in place and put a small blob of epoxy on them. Set the dial on the feet, center the hands posts in the dial center hole and align the 3 oclock dial notch with the stem. Put a dial protector over the dial and weight it down while curing.

After the feet are fixed in place, I notch the dial spacer so the dial sits flush to it. I wait til after the gluing is done because the intact spacer provides a solid backing for the foot base during the curing process.

Of course there are other ways to do this but the goal should always be to end up with the dial centered in the rehaut opening. I arrived at this method after having done a few in other ways and I haven't seen a need to improve on it. It takes away all need for any templates or guesswork about where the dial feet need to go.
    This method sounds so damn satisfying. I will definitely try this one in this upcoming build. In my first build i had this method in mind, but after i clipped the feet and they flew 100 and 100 miles away I just forgot about it lol :P Thanks for the explanation
    What are those round things at 14 and 29? I can't recall from your explanation? they look like new dial feet but from your story i assume they are not

wowcoolusername Awsome!!!!! I know how you feel :P I am going to do this build to put my safe queen from church... to the safe xD For strap advice i would really advice a two tone steel bracelet because it completes the look. I've seen the one from raffles with a 10k plating? Maybe thats an option. Other than that you can go for a blue grained calf skin?

Did you find a gen bezel and crown?
    p.s. a blue two tone datejust is just heaven GL!
    Last edited by Voo-doo; 29-12-20, 08:11.

Comment

You dont have to literally clip the dial feet. I just grabbed them tight with a plier and turned them left and right and they came off easily and left no residue on the dial. I used the original,feet again. In the above pics, those are aftemarket feet with dots. You need to sand the dial to make it thinner to fit the dots. That's a common procedure. I used the original feet instead and yoused a high tech glue which is used in dental labs. It settles within two minutes and is so durable that you can glue teeth to dentures and chew on them for fifteen years. But thats expensive stuff and only available to dental technicians or dentists.

Comment

Originally posted by Docrolex View Post
        You dont have to literally clip the dial feet. I just grabbed them tight with a plier and turned them left and right and they came off easily and left no residue on the dial.
        Right, check! I used this method on one of my (excuse my French..) Seikos ! And that seemed to go well, wasn't sure if that would work for a Rolex dial because the feet seem really sturdy. But will give it a go! Thanks.

I have the feeling af if I'm hijacking this thread

Comment

Why not use an VR3135 within the raffles 36mm (2824) case?
          This will work (did this two times with 2824 cases) and you can make use of the original dial feet with no change.

You should take some measurements first on your 2824 case, as they differ from batch to batch.

Some of them take gen dial (some not) & some have enough space for the bigger VR3135 , as some not.

Want to buy:
          broken / incomplete
          movements

Is a revision of new watch necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by HootschiGootschi View Post
            Why not use an VR3135 within the raffles 36mm (2824) case?
            This will work (did this two times with 2824 cases) and you can make use of the original dial feet with no change.

You should take some measurements first on your 2824 case, as they differ from batch to batch.

Some of them take gen dial (some not) & some have enough space for the bigger VR3135 , as some not.
            Do you need an adapter to fit a vr3135 into raffles 2824 case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drummania View Post

Do you need an adapter to fit a vr3135 into raffles 2824 case?

I have understood (but i might be wrong) that all rlx clones are not THAT reliable. Therefore i would always vouch for an eTA. But I have to say the drop in replacement withing clipping feet and alligning stuff seems interesting .... might try that at a later stage!

Comment

Sorry for replying late, i was busy last days.

However,
                It's doable to fit a 3135 movement into a 36mm raffles case for 2824 with lug holes.

To give you a glue i add some pictures here,
                where you can see such a case with a genuine Rolex 16200 dial on an SH3135.

The genuine 16200 dial is from 1990 and about 28mm in diameter, while the case can take up to 29mm.
                (older datejust dials might be smaller!)

Note:
                You need to create a 0.4/0.5mm movement holder spacer as the case bearing for the movement is slightly wider.
                i used a cutted piece of plastic therfore and make use of movement clamps.
                (gen movement screws don't work here)

(Have this build right in front of me & may sell it soon)

Want to buy:
                broken / incomplete
                movements

Comment

Nice! Maybe I should do this project next.

Comment

Sorry for replying late, i was busy last days.

However,
                    It's doable to fit a 3135 movement into a 36mm raffles case for 2824 with lug holes.

To give you a glue i add some pictures here,
                    where you can see such a case with a genuine Rolex 16200 dial on an SH3135.

The genuine 16200 dial is from 1990 and about 28mm in diameter, while the case can take up to 29mm.
                    (older datejust dials might be smaller!)

Note:
                    You need to create a 0.4/0.5mm movement holder spacer as the case bearing for the movement is slightly wider.

(Have this build right in front of me & may sell it soon)

I put this on sale (with a VR3135)
                    so in case someone is interested...
                    check here:
                    https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...en-dial-vr3135

Want to buy:
                    broken / incomplete
                    movements

Comment

HootschiGootschi Excellent build and thank you for your insight on using the raffles 2824 case with a VR 3135.

For the movement clamps, where did you source these? I understand that Rolex part 3135-5100 is usually used to secure the 3135 to the case, but I am wondering what clamps and screws you used as you say gen movement screws won't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X