• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2836 keyless reset from train side

Dickjuk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/19
Evening,

Is this possible?? I have a franken date just which has the gen dial glued to the 2836.

Worth also noting that I have very limited experience.

Thanks in advance

Sent from the RWI App

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
Be gentle?

Hopefully they used dial dots, which will let go if they are continuously pried on. Use a pair of plastic tweezers, or even plastic picnic knives, to slowly and carefully keep pressure on it (after the hands are safely out of the way of course).

It is best to send to a modder, and let them know the dial is glued. If they used a more aggressive glue (such as super glue) that could be a big problem. The glue has to be melted out, with acetone, which will destroy the top of the dial if the slightest drop gets on it. Then the movement will need to be completely torn down, to ensure all the glue residue is out of the movement after the melting process- because after the acetone evaporates, the glue will re-cure...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
If it's a DJ, then it should have a dial spacer, meaning if it is actually glue and not dial dots, the dial will be glued to the dial spacer, not directly to the movement. Either way, you shouldn't be attempting this if you don't know what you're doing.

Reactions: KJ2020 and J!m1

Dickjuk

3/7/19
Be gentle?

Hopefully they used dial dots, which will let go if they are continuously pried on. Use a pair of plastic tweezers, or even plastic picnic knives, to slowly and carefully keep pressure on it (after the hands are safely out of the way of course).

It is best to send to a modder, and let them know the dial is glued. If they used a more aggressive glue (such as super glue) that could be a big problem. The glue has to be melted out, with acetone, which will destroy the top of the dial if the slightest drop gets on it. Then the movement will need to be completely torn down, to ensure all the glue residue is out of the movement after the melting process- because after the acetone evaporates, the glue will re-cure...

They used two dots and then super glue I think around the edge. Patience with a scalpel proved successful.

I’ve reset the keyless but managed to loose what I think is the click spring when removing the winding module. I’ve got another watch with a 2824. Does anyone know if they share the same click spring??

Thanks for the advice

Sent from the RWI App

Dickjuk

3/7/19
If it's a DJ, then it should have a dial spacer, meaning if it is actually glue and not dial dots, the dial will be glued to the dial spacer, not directly to the movement. Either way, you shouldn't be attempting this if you don't know what you're doing.

It is. And I think it does. It had a very thin spacer glued to the dial and the movement.

I do agree but the tutorial was so well detailed I thought it’d be rude not to. At worst I send it off.

I have considered swapping it for a vr3135 but feel I’m wasting a gen eta. Plus I have no idea if hand sizes and stem height are comparable.

Sent from the RWI App

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/17
Netherlands
i've done it before from the train side but only partial. no full reset is possible from the train side. Only when the crown stem doesnt go in anymore. remove everything from the train side including the sliding pinion and push the keyless part down. It should click back in place and you can rebuild it.

Dickjuk

3/7/19
i've done it before from the train side but only partial. no full reset is possible from the train side. Only when the crown stem doesnt go in anymore. remove everything from the train side including the sliding pinion and push the keyless part down. It should click back in place and you can rebuild it.

I’m not sure if I needed a partial or full restart. For some reason the stem just pulled all the way out and then when put back in wouldn’t engage.

Sent from the RWI App

Dickjuk

3/7/19

I’m not sure if I needed a partial or full restart. For some reason the stem just pulled all the way out and then when put back in wouldn’t engage.

Sent from the RWI App

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
managed to loose what I think is the click spring when removing the winding module. I’ve got another watch with a 2824. Does anyone know if they share the same click spring??

A 2824 spring will work. I HATE, HATE, HATE, that click spring.

Upon close evaluation of a gen ETA it looks like there is a little lip on the main plate for that spring that helps to hold it in place so it doesn't jump out. I haven't seen a rep with that lip.

I order those suckers two at a time from Clark on the bay. They are only like $4 a piece.

Dickjuk

3/7/19
A 2824 spring will work. I HATE, HATE, HATE, that click spring.

Upon close evaluation of a gen ETA it looks like there is a little lip on the main plate for that spring that helps to hold it in place so it doesn't jump out. I haven't seen a rep with that lip.

I order those suckers two at a time from Clark on the bay. They are only like $4 a piece.

I didn’t even know it was lost at first. Thanks for clarifying. I’ll pinch it and then order another to replace the one out of the 2824.

Next one is getting the hands back on. Any tips??

Sent from the RWI App

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You could just replace the whole winding bridge module from another rep movement. I don't take them apart anymore even on a servicing. Winding bridge, crown wheel, crown wheel screw, and the click and spring get cleaned and re-lubed as an intact module. The rep click springs are too cheap and fiddly to bother with, it's not worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: mp1mancini

Dickjuk

3/7/19
You could just replace the whole winding bridge module from another rep movement. I don't take them apart anymore even on a servicing. Winding bridge, crown wheel, crown wheel screw, and the click and spring get cleaned and re-lubed as an intact module. The rep click springs are too cheap and fiddly to bother with, it's not worth the trouble.

Do you know if clone 2836 parts are interchangeable with genuine ones??

Sent from the RWI App