• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean VSF bezel insert not aligned

Honeycomb

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/15
Hi!
I bought a VSF Planet Ocean a few months ago (used) and the ceramic insert is not aligned properly relatively to the dial. I shouldn't care, but it is there and it is annoying. is there anyway i can fix it? is there a spare rotating bezel i can find online to replace it? can i contact a dealer and ask for this part?
the watch is a Planet Ocean 45.5mm (same as Omega ref 232.30.46.21.01.001)

domiffm

no, I have nothing for sale
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
I‘d try to lift the insert (it’s glued I guess) and re-glue it in in an aligned position.

Honeycomb

2/1/15
I would like to do that as well, but i read that 99% it will break... and honestly i have 0 craftmanship... i prefer to pay and safely fix it than brake it

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
I have the same problem. if you find the spare let me know where.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Honeycomb

domiffm

Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Somehow that whole thing here doesn't make sense. If you want to buy a new bezel (I assume you mean bezel incl. insert) to replace it on the watch, you have to remove the old bezel from the watch. If you say you don't have any skills, then you will completely scratch the watch when you try to remove the bezel assembly from the watch. Removing the whole bezel assembly from a Omega is somewhat tricky since it’s very tight.

Therefore, you have to go to a watchmaker anyway, who will do it properly. But he can also simply realign the existing insert, as I described. There is absolutely no need to buy a new bezel (with or without insert).

However, the realignment of the insert is quite simple. The insert is glued to the bezel. Simply heat the insert with a hair dryer to soften the glue between the insert and the bezel. Then, using a flat piece of plastic (rigid but also slightly flexible, I always use a piece of plastic from a blister pack), slide it between the insert and the glass and slowly prise out the insert all around. Then reinsert the insert correctly aligned. Done. 10 minute job.

If that doesn't work well, you can also try to detach the insert from the outer edge. Just carefully and slowly insert a thin object, like a razor blade, into the small gap between the insert and the bezel and slowly slide it under the insert. This will detach the insert. Go slowly all the way around. The insert will come off.

Last edited:

Honeycomb

2/1/15
Somehow that whole thing here doesn't make sense. If you want to buy a new bezel (I assume you mean bezel incl. insert) to replace it on the watch, you have to remove the old bezel from the watch. If you say you don't have any skills, then you will completely scratch the watch when you try to remove the bezel assembly from the watch. Removing the whole bezel assembly from a Omega is somewhat tricky since it’s very tight.

Therefore, you have to go to a watchmaker anyway, who will do it properly. But he can also simply realign the existing insert, as I described. There is absolutely no need to buy a new bezel (with or without insert).

However, the realignment of the insert is quite simple. The insert is glued to the bezel. Simply heat the insert with a hair dryer to soften the glue between the insert and the bezel. Then, using a flat piece of plastic (rigid but also slightly flexible, I always use a piece of plastic from a blister pack), slide it between the insert and the glass and slowly prise out the insert all around. Then reinsert the insert correctly aligned. Done. 10 minute job.

thanx! i will give it a try, wouldn't the heat from the hair dryer damage the mechanism?

*many of the things i say in this forum doesn't make sense because i am very new into watches.

domiffm

Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
thanx! i will give it a try, wouldn't the heat from the hair dryer damage the mechanism?

*many of the things i say in this forum doesn't make sense because i am very new into watches.

No problem mate :) Just heat it up for a minute or so. Not too close between the heater and the watch.

Reactions: Honeycomb

GreatWhite

26/2/21
I know it's a slightly old post, but I did this without even taking the bezel insert out. Just do the hairdryer, heat up the glue, then just push the bezel insert in the direction it needs to go. Admittedly, it only had to move micrometers on mine.