• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ST2130 : crazy timegrapher

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Hi folks,

I just built a watch with a new ST2130. Once launched the timegrapher shows crazy datas. I've swapped a few movements but never seen such results.

What did I do wrong with it?

Edit : I touched the balance wheel with my toothpick as it was not starting by itself. Mistake?

07543f2112afa808c61e2b582dad3f44.jpg

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ouch. You have my sympathies. I'm in agreement with your assessment you might have damaged it by touching the balance. This is above my skill level for pointed diagnoses and repair, so I'll pray it's something simple. I'm curious about the build....looks nice from what I can see. Best wishes!

Reactions: mrsullivan

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi folks,

I just built a watch with a new ST2130. Once launched the timegrapher shows crazy datas. I've swapped a few movements but never seen such results.

What did I do wrong with it?

Edit : I touched the balance wheel with my toothpick as it was not starting by itself. Mistake?

07543f2112afa808c61e2b582dad3f44.jpg

You need to fix your beat error first bro. Get the 2.9 ms down to as close as possible to 0.0 This will go a long way toward correcting the +181 s/d. Then you can tweak the s/d.

Your amplitude is good, and your blips are all straight which is a good thing. This is easily recovered.

Just be very gentle when moving the beat corrector arm (on top) and then later the regulator arm (2 dots). Keep the watch connected to the timegrapher, make tiny corrections and wait for the correction to take effect. Evaluate the change, and bracket your next correction. I use a 120 screwdriver with the blade turned perpendicular to the arm. The screwdriver handle is parallel to the bench. Take great care not to deflect the arms up or down when moving them horizontally.

You will need the rotor and the autowind device removed to do this. Just keep the rotor attached and remove the 2 screws for the autowind device. When replacing the autowind, set it in place then rotate the crown forward a little so that the gears engage cleanly.

Last edited:

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
Glad to read that I recommended the exact same thing as KJ2020 on the other topic.
My watchmaking learning experience is paying off :)

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Thank you guys, I may have unbalanced it but happy to read rescue is possible.
I was thinking a throw at the wall but I'll apply KJ2020 's method instead LOL.

I'll try this today or tomorrow, and keep updated.

Rx4Time the watch is a DIY Explorer kit coming from Bosshua, I made a thread about it on the Rolex section ;-)

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
For future reference, it's best to start your balance with an air puffer

Always start with a air puffer...saves a lot of headache in the end.

I wouldn't worry about those initial results...that beat error and time error are way out whack. You need to dial it in before you can make an assessment.

As stated, get beat error in first. Then do timing.

Remember though, dial up readings do not tell you how accurate the watch really is...you need to do several positions if you want to really know....

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Just finished working this crazy watch up.

Removed the automatic module :

That's the datas we start with :

Beat error corrected, we see the rate rises up like it has a heart attack :
Playing with the rate to get it close to something decent, replace the automatic module, close the caseback... and there we go :

A big, I mean a BIG thanx to all of you guys who helped. Not only the watch works like a charm, but I learned to regulate tonight.
Cheers

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great job on the two corrections!

Is your watch fully wound? Your amplitude should be much higher, 270 - 310. I always wind 35x before working on a regulation/correction.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Great job on the two corrections!

Is your watch fully wound? Your amplitude should be much higher, 270 - 310. I always wind 35x before working on a regulation/correction.

Nah I wound it maybe 15/20 times before working on it, from an out of power movement.
How does it affect the amplitude?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nah I wound it maybe 15/20 times before working on it, from an out of power movement.
How does it affect the amplitude?

Wind it fully and look at the difference :cool:

Last edited:

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Just finished working this crazy watch up.

Removed the automatic module :

That's the datas we start with :

Beat error corrected, we see the rate rises up like it has a heart attack :
Playing with the rate to get it close to something decent, replace the automatic module, close the caseback... and there we go :

A big, I mean a BIG thanx to all of you guys who helped. Not only the watch works like a charm, but I learned to regulate tonight.
Cheers

Great job... 2s/d is fantastic. Well done!