• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 3135 Winding issue

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
GingerBubba take those part out, clean it all with rodico of alcohol, grease the base of the big gear with dx, apply a littld bit of grease on top of the big gear after putting it on the round plate, place sliding gear on top and screw it back in.

If you want to oil thd sliding gear too, only oil it between the sliding gears plate and gear itself. Absolutely no oil or grease should be used underneath the sliding gear where it touches the barrel bridge plate.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
GingerBubba take those part out, clean it all with rodico of alcohol, grease the base of the big gear with dx, apply a littld bit of grease on top of the big gear after putting it on the round plate, place sliding gear on top and screw it back in.

If you want to oil thd sliding gear too, only oil it between the sliding gears plate and gear itself. Absolutely no oil or grease should be used underneath the sliding gear where it touches the barrel bridge plate.

Look at you wearing your big boy pants!!!!! Thanks dude.

I don't get why oiling underneath the sliding gear would be a problem though (not that I have). Why?

Also, what mechanism causes the sliding gear to slide and engage with the other gears when you rotate the crown? Is it just friction?

Reactions: Logixa

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Look at you wearing your big boy pants!!!!! Thanks dude.

I don't get why oiling underneath the sliding gear would be a problem though (not that I have). Why?

Also, what mechanism causes the sliding gear to slide and engage with the other gears when you rotate the crown? Is it just friction?

Sh had this problems too it's not only vsf. Sometimes when you oil the bottom it causes the sliding gear to be stuck as yours. It's a little art to make it running little grease here little there you have to play with it just don't over do it.

Try to put little drops of grease here :

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Thanks Oascom and Llogixa!

Llogixa, when wheel three turns though, there's nothing on it that makes the sliding gear move? Or is there? Is it just the friction/inertia of that gear turning that provides movement to the sliding arm? Or is there some sort of notch/tooth on the gear that pushes/pulls the sliding arm?

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
It's just the inertia of the gear itself. The clicking spring pushes back on the big yellow gear on top of the barrel and thus pushes also the sliding gear back away from the yellow gear. I'll make a little video of it today to show it.

Last edited:

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Consider us the VS3135 Beta users. ;)
I like the look of that service manual!

Reactions: Oascom

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
Someone confirms me that the measure of the case opener is 29.50mm for this one?

Avee8tor

Renowned Member
1/11/13
Ontario Canada.
I had the same issue with the winding arm. I looked it over for an hour, trying different solutions. Definitely don’t want a thick grease under the smaller gear. But...a drop of moebius between then little gear and press bushing solved the problem 100%. Use a red tip oiler and wick it in. She’s working flawlessly now.

Atmosphere

16/1/17
CONUS
Okay, I think I've found it how to deal with the issue (I certainly haven't fixed the issue)!!!!

I tried oiling as outlined and it's easy to do, even for a non tinkerer type such as myself. However it didn't make any noticeable difference and certainly didn't solve the problem.

I still couldn't get the 'yoke for sliding gear' (to use it's proper name - I think) to engage like it should. I couldn't work out what causes the yoke to move when you turn the crown clockwise. Is it just friction?

Anyway, the 'fix' is to turn the crown clockwise rapidly and firmly until it engages: a quick, firm, full spin with the fingers. I have a tendency to be very gentle when winding/time setting etc, but if you turn the crown slowly/gently, it doesn't move the yoke. A quick, firm spin however and it engages every time. You only need to spin quickly until you feel the yoke engage (so there's no danger of damaging gear teeth). Then you can just wind gently as normal.

https://vimeo.com/482790205

worked for me, thank you! IMO this was the only glaring flaw in the VSF.

Omran9

Horology Curious
14/1/17
Germany,Hamburg
Hey, im here for a long time on this forum but i never posted something. i own a hulk for 2 weeks and now i report the same issue. i will probaly seend it to my dealer soon

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Hey, im here for a long time on this forum but i never posted something. i own a hulk for 2 weeks and now i report the same issue. i will probaly seend it to my dealer soon

Never send a watch back to China. Find a local watchsmith.