• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 3135 Winding issue

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Hi all,

I wonder if I could pick the brains of some of you genius types.

I bought one of the new VSF Subs with their clone 3135 inside.

It felt awesome on arrival and seems to be getting good reviews, but mine's developed a wee issue.

When the crown is in the first/winding position, it sometimes doesn't wind. It seems that the little gear/wheel thing moves in the direction of the red arrow (on the photo below) when the crown is turned anticlockwise, but then presumably should move back and engage with the other wheel when the crown is turned clockwise. Sometimes it does (as it is doing in the attached video), but it often gets stuck in the disengaged position and so didn't wind, just free spins.

Is there an easy way to fix it? Is the problem due to friction where oil/grease will help? Or perhaps tightening (or loosening) of the screw keeping that piece in place? Or something more complicated in the keyless works? Something else??? Help!!!! As you can tell, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

Fyi, the watch works perfectly in the date setting and time setting positions (and in the video, it's working fine in the winding position too - typical).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ZimlX2.jpg

https://vimeo.com/482111903

This is video of it working properly (I think).

Last edited:

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Wowsers! Good knowledge, thank you so much for taking the time. I can't believe you've had two bad ones already, they've only started arriving in the past week or two!

When your say thick lube, something like Molykote DX perhaps? Or not that thick?

And when your say apply lube 'on the zigzag arm', do you mean for example where the blue line is? Or the green (or red or yellow)? A combo of colours? None of the above? Thanks again for your help!!!

ZioUWE.jpg

Reactions: Jayalvin777

GingerBubba

24/10/17
I forgot - the LN's been out for a while now, I was just thinking about the Hulk when I expressed surprise at you having seen two of these already.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Exactly the same thing happens on my ARF v2 DSSD (well, it looks/sounds like the same thing). The advice I got was to “oil the base” of the cog circled green in your pic. But like you I didn’t know whether to do it around the screw or the cog itself. I can’t remember what I tried, but it worked for a bit then reverted to not resetting. So I gave up and just whizz the rotor to get it going (thinking that one day I’d pick up some more knowledge and be able to do it properly).

So, following this with interest, in the hope of learning a bit more!

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Those SH3135s suck. I’d just get a VR3135.
They will eventually start slipping again and it just feels cheap. Idk how to explain it aside from it slipping

VRs never slipping on my 2 builds. Just winds smooth as gen 3135s. Just out of the box it feels much better and the PR is much better too.

SH lasts about 35-40hrs. Sometimes a lot less. VR seems to last at least 48hrs. Amp is sometimes a bit low but if you service it, it’s perfect.

You should hurry though. They’re jacking up those prices all over the place. eBay sellers are selling those for $200-$500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
You wanted details, well there you go :) Absolutely brilliant :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It's a different movement mate, not a SH. In fact supposedly, it's a VR beater.

I think bc1221 might have seen my reference to the ARF DSSD and was basing his advice on that. I didn't want to complicate things even further by replying, as I'm aware of the shortcomings of the SH and have spare VR movements should I decide to swap one in for the SH. But I wear the sea monster so infrequently I'm not sure I can be arsed...

Reactions: GingerBubba

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Okay, I think I've found it how to deal with the issue (I certainly haven't fixed the issue)!!!!

I tried oiling as outlined and it's easy to do, even for a non tinkerer type such as myself. However it didn't make any noticeable difference and certainly didn't solve the problem.

I still couldn't get the 'yoke for sliding gear' (to use it's proper name - I think) to engage like it should. I couldn't work out what causes the yoke to move when you turn the crown clockwise. Is it just friction?

Anyway, the 'fix' is to turn the crown clockwise rapidly and firmly until it engages: a quick, firm, full spin with the fingers. I have a tendency to be very gentle when winding/time setting etc, but if you turn the crown slowly/gently, it doesn't move the yoke. A quick, firm spin however and it engages every time. You only need to spin quickly until you feel the yoke engage (so there's no danger of damaging gear teeth). Then you can just wind gently as normal.

https://vimeo.com/482790205

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Okay, I think I've found it how to deal with the issue (I certainly haven't fixed the issue)!!!!

I tried oiling as outlined and it's easy to do, even for a non tinkerer type such as myself. However it didn't make any noticeable difference and certainly didn't solve the problem.

I still couldn't get the 'yoke for sliding gear' (to use it's proper name - I think) to engage like it should. I couldn't work out what causes the yoke to move when you turn the crown clockwise. Is it just friction?

Anyway, the 'fix' is to turn the crown clockwise rapidly and firmly until it engages: a quick, firm, full spin with the fingers. I have a tendency to be very gentle when winding/time setting etc, but if you turn the crown slowly/gently, it doesn't move the yoke. A quick, firm spin however and it engages every time. You only need to spin quickly until you feel the yoke engage (so there's no danger of damaging gear teeth). Then you can just wind gently as normal.

https://vimeo.com/482790205

I like that the solution to a complicated, fragile, delicate watch movement is..... ANGRY RAGE SPIN :)

Thanks for the info, this will most certainly help out a lot of people with similar issue

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You’ll almost certainly be hearing from my lawyer.

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Lol, wunch of bankers.

I should clarify, it doesn't have to be a powerful spin that would cause all sorts of metal grinding on metal. I suppose a quick spin is a better description. Like clicking your fingers, but with your thumb and index finger (with the crown in-between them).

I just told a watch forum how to wind a watch :facepalm:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I clearly got the impression from your previous post that you meant I should hold a pair of mole-grips in my teeth, clamp the crown in the grips and spin the watch violently by slapping it with motorcycle gauntlet-clad hands. At which point should the finger-clicking occur?

GingerBubba

24/10/17
The finger clicking is on every second beat.

It's two quick for stamps of your foot on the first beat, then a finger click on the second and repeat ad infinitum.

Whilst doing the stamping clicking thing, you should also sing, "Buddy, you're a boy, make a big noise, Playing in the street, gonna be a big man someday, You got mud on your face, you big disgrace, Kicking your can all over the place...."

If the watch isn't working after that, send the fucking thing to Oascom!

Reactions: p0pperini and 2841