• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 3135 Winding issue

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Okay, I think I've found it how to deal with the issue (I certainly haven't fixed the issue)!!!!

I tried oiling as outlined and it's easy to do, even for a non tinkerer type such as myself. However it didn't make any noticeable difference and certainly didn't solve the problem.

I still couldn't get the 'yoke for sliding gear' (to use it's proper name - I think) to engage like it should. I couldn't work out what causes the yoke to move when you turn the crown clockwise. Is it just friction?

Anyway, the 'fix' is to turn the crown clockwise rapidly and firmly until it engages: a quick, firm, full spin with the fingers. I have a tendency to be very gentle when winding/time setting etc, but if you turn the crown slowly/gently, it doesn't move the yoke. A quick, firm spin however and it engages every time. You only need to spin quickly until you feel the yoke engage (so there's no danger of damaging gear teeth). Then you can just wind gently as normal.

https://vimeo.com/482790205

This totally worked for me, thanks Bubba :)

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Today I was going to use the bag hulk but couldn’t wind it and having read this thread before casually, spent 30 min to find it again :D

I read mixed outcomes, what should I do, snap the crown fast or oil Ti :D

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Depends.

I've had one VSF that worked perfectly OTB, like Gen almost - smooth as you like, nothing needed.

I've got another that needs a snap to get it to wind.

I've a third that didn't even work with a snap until it was oiled - now it snaps into action a treat.

So I'd say that if you can get away with a snap, great. If not, give it an oiling as per the technical document kindly posted by Oascom.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Awesome. I literally signed up to the forum just to be able to post a 'Thank you' for this thread. Have the same issue with a Datejust that was bothering me, but see now that it is an easy fix.