• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Who uses FixoDrop

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
Does anyone who works on watches use Fixodrop?
Looking for a possible replacement for FixoDrop
Costs 130$ per 100ml...
Does anyone actually use this stuff, it seems like it might not be a necessity.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
It’s used for escape wheels, pallet fork jewels, cap jewels, and reversing wheels.
It’s extremely helpful on Rolex reversing wheels in particular. If the oil gets into the wrong places it very quickly jams up.

Reactions: Oascom

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/17
Netherlands
All watchmakers use epilame/fixodrop, including me. It is essential. hanski is correct about the parts. you need this stuff to hold the oils in place. Especially the pallet fork and escape wheel.

Reactions: Ex-ki and Oascom

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I am not aware of any substitute in existence for fixodrop.

After doing some extensive research I know why. It’s a complicated chemical mixture of fluorinated solvents and fluorinated polymers. It seems the price is actually justified in this case.
I was searching for a way to make my own, but just obtaining the ingredients to experiment is almost as expensive as just buying it.

Reactions: Logixa

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
Thanks for the comment, this is actually a very interesting finding and conclusion
I can explain more!
the solution is 99% perfluorohexane and 1% dissolved fluorinated polyester. I couldn’t find the exact fluorinated polymer. Fluoro polyester is generic term.

products that are comprised of perfluorohexane (C6F14):
​​​​​​
- 3m Fluorinert 72 - liquid cooling fluid for PCs
- Liquivent - a discontinued lung flushing solution for patients on a breathing ventilator. it caused acute lung injury.
- Perflexane - an Ultrasound imaging contrast agent.

I haven’t found any
products yet that could substitute for the fluorinated polymer. Research grade fluorinated polymers aren’t that expensive. It’s the Perfluorohexane that’s liquid gold. Perfluorhexane is also called tetradecafluorohexane. The terms are interchangeable.

Reactions: Logixa

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Now that my interest in this is piqued...I notice on the newer ETA assy. diagrams, they call it out and I have ignored it...until now!..