• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please help with zzf gen crystal install

DrDrew90

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/7/20
Hey everyone, I’m in the process of fitting a gen xtal to a zzf 116610. I’ve pressed the crystal retaining ring on, but when I press the bezel assy. into place, it is in contact with the mid case and will not budge. All of the pieces involved in the click spring mechanism are in place. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: s.orologiaio

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
Hey everyone, I’m in the process of fitting a gen xtal to a zzf 116610. I’ve pressed the crystal retaining ring on, but when I press the bezel assy. into place, it is in contact with the mid case and will not budge. All of the pieces involved in the click spring mechanism are in place. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, it’s strange. Try to re-position the hyrtek ring with a little lubricant (gasket lubricant), if doesn’t sit in place try to put the hyrtek ring in its seat around the retaining ring, then press the bezel on. Otherwise you need to replace hyrtel ring, but gen one isn’t correct for zzf, if I remember well.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: DrDrew90

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
It seems like the hyrtel ring is not in place, and in some parts of its circumference it gets pinched between bezel and retaining ring, and you can’t rotate it freely

DrDrew90

14/7/20
Hi, it’s strange. Try to re-position the hyrtek ring with a little lubricant (gasket lubricant), if doesn’t sit in place try to put the hyrtek ring in its seat around the retaining ring, then press the bezel on. Otherwise you need to replace hyrtel ring, but gen one isn’t correct for zzf, if I remember well.

Thank you so much for the info and quick reply. I will give that a go. My biggest fear is this beautiful watch becoming a paperweight because I can’t find a replacement for the 3 cent plastic ring!

Reactions: s.orologiaio

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
Thank you so much for the info and quick reply. I will give that a go. My biggest fear is this beautiful watch becoming a paperweight because I can’t find a replacement for the 3 cent plastic ring!

Nooo!!! Ahaha don’t worry, it’s a small issue that happens very frequently on these new ceramic submariners. If all parts (except from the crystal, but it’s not a problem) belong to the same watch, it’s definitely going to be ok. Be careful not to ruin the hyrtel ring only

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If all else fails you can try using fishline. It's OK for there to be a break in the circle. You will have to find the right diameter line to allow for retention plus rotation. If you press the bezel on with fishline that is too thick, the bezel won't rotate and you may not be able to get it off again. If this happens, remove the movement, the crystal and all gaskets and O rings. Then bake the watch head at 500 degrees about 20 mins and the fishline will shrink and turn black and become brittle. Then you can get the bezel off and try a smaller size line. About .61mm line is a good place to start.

More info here. Noob is easier to do this on, but it can be done with others too.

Noob GMT Pepsi's poor bezel design

DrDrew90

14/7/20
If all else fails you can try using fishline. It's OK for there to be a break in the circle. You will have to find the right diameter line to allow for retention plus rotation. If you press the bezel on with fishline that is too thick, the bezel won't rotate and you may not be able to get it off again. If this happens, remove the movement, the crystal and all gaskets and O rings. Then bake the watch head at 500 degrees about 20 mins and the fishline will shrink and turn black and become brittle. Then you can get the bezel off and try a smaller size line. About .61mm line is a good place to start.

More info here. Noob is easier to do this on, but it can be done with others too.

Noob GMT Pepsi's poor bezel design

Nooo!!! Ahaha don’t worry, it’s a small issue that happens very frequently on these new ceramic submariners. If all parts (except from the crystal, but it’s not a problem) belong to the same watch, it’s definitely going to be ok. Be careful not to ruin the hyrtel ring only

You guys are amazing, I had a weird anxiety that I was going to get flamed. Appreciate all the info

DrDrew90

14/7/20

This worked. It’s still a little tight, but it’s on flat and functioning. Thanks again

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My enthusiasm is diminishing for a casual insert swap project, to make a "Cermit lite" from a Noob Hulk and LN, every time I read another thread about how it can all potentially go south... :)

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
A modder with your skills Popadoodle, would have no such trouble.

How's that Snoopy mod coming along btw?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Great things take time! This Snoopy will just be your Sagrada Familia.

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Great things take time! This Snoopy will just be your Sagrada Familia.

Yeah, still unfinished years after I'm dead, having been run over by a tram while crossing the road, distracted because I was trying to set the time on a watch that I modded and broke...