• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Serviced Movement Oil Degradation

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Hey Guys,

So I have been improving my skills over the last few years with disassembling and assembling watches. Particularly ETA Autos, 6497s, and some clone 3132s. I just bought a cheapie 7750 off the bay to start getting familiar with chronos.

I recently had my SERVICED 126600 stop on my. It has an ETA 2824. So....I decided to open it up and give it a go.

First I found one sheared off movement holding screw which was lodged in the balance wheel. This was what was preventing the watch from working. I went to remove the other screw, and that sheared off as well! I’ll attribute that to poor metal quality...and not the fact that those screws may have been over tightened...

I started to take the movement apart and started finding what looked like old oil. This watch was serviced less than two years ago. Is the below normal??
I was able to remove this funk with some wood, so it seems it’s old nasty oil!

96a548afc27b460af21c6f777f794d78.jpg

I would think the oils, especially Moebius would last much longer than this. Although no telling what was used.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
FYI.

Right side is under the crown wheel, and the left is the click and click spring area...so these are frequently moved areas.

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
Hi, it’s normal! It’s not about oil degradation but it’s about oil/grease spreading, or it’s due to a little mistake while oiling these parts, and oil went where not needed. Crown wheel seat only need 2 little drops at the wall, and a lot of precision while placing the crown wheel, without touching lubricant with the wheel. Click and click spring need lubrication in the contact point, and in the click seat... it’s quite difficult to lubricate them perfectly without spreading. Don’t consider this movement as badly lubrified, average watchmakers’ oiling is way less precise. It’s enough that crown wheel+click work freely and smooth

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Oascom

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Hi, it’s normal! It’s not about oil degradation but it’s about oil/grease spreading, or it’s due to a little mistake while oiling these parts, and oil went where not needed. Crown wheel seat only need 2 little drops at the wall, and a lot of precision while placing the crown wheel, without touching lubricant with the wheel. Click and click spring need lubrication in the contact point, and in the click seat... it’s quite difficult to lubricate them perfectly without spreading. Don’t consider this movement as badly lubrified, average watchmakers’ oiling is way less precise. It’s enough that crown wheel+click work freely and smooth

Thanks!

I’ve started pulling it all apart and haven’t found anything else as of yet!
I’ll give it a good clean and reassemble.

Reactions: s.orologiaio

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I would take that click spring out very carefully ASAP and store it somewhere safe. Those things have wings, I have lost more than one!

s.orologiaio

19/7/17
I would take that click spring out very carefully ASAP and store it somewhere safe. Those things have wings, I have lost more than one!

Ahah it’s common to lost them first times... use a pick wood or plastic tip to hold clickspring down and horizontal, then press it in its place with tweezers. With this method I always succeed in this operation. It more difficult to remove it before cleaning (if it’s dirt I use some rodico to avoid the risk of flying ahah)

Reactions: KJ2020

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14

Yup! I’m pretty sure there’s a few in my office that just flew out and never to be seen again.

Those little fuckers are a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mp1mancini

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Already out and in the tray!

Ain’t my first rodeo on the 2824...haven’t lost one yet but I’m sure that will change!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM

Been there, done that... Sometimes you just pinch those too hard with tweezers. Good luck finding those, my Roomba must picked up dozen already :p

Eta ones are fairly safe, rep ones on the other hand got sometimes more "tension" and are harder to put it and out and they can be lost much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020