• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Repair for stripped screw thread?

Ernesteka

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
Hello My dear Replica-Aficionados,

I have a problem with the Strap/Clasp of my Noob Yachtmaster 116655. The Oysterflex-Strap is attached to the Oysterclasp via a small metal-segment. The segment is attached to the clasp via a springbar, while the rubber Oysterflex is attached to the metal-segment with a screw. You can see this on this pic:

e13e6d8b09eb948deb3b98224e75c994.jpg

I can’t unscrew this screw. I guess the thread might have stripped. Since I need to change the Oysterflex for a smaller one I have to remove the screw and put it back in afterwards.

Do you have an advice for me? Can I fix the thread? Is there a sparepart for the small metal-segment avaiable?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ernesteka

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
If the thread had stripped the screw would be loose. Do you mean that it is too tight that you can’t unscrew it, or does it spin freely without unscrewing?

Ah ok, at least the thread is not stripped then.
It does spin freely without unscrewing. :(

Ernesteka

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
Unfortunately the end of the screw is not visible at all, I fear the thread is inside the metal-segment.

35ee02004d6cf025e50e71a0c5c88781.jpg

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Where it is rubber you might have lucked out because if it was metal you would not be able to do this.

You might be able to pinch the rubber part between the lugs to grab the screw itself as this is a common problem. Especially if it is a cheaper rubber bracelet. But I would try that, even with a small pair of pliers, gripping the screw hard enough and sort of push or pull it out as you still screw it out.

If that doesn’t work, I took a small nail and grinded the tip off the nail (and sanded so it was flat) so it was the same diameter as the screw itself or maybe a tiny tiny bit smaller.

I put a piece of good tape over the side of the link(or in your case, clasp) with a hole just big enough for the screw (tape it to protect the clasp and leave the screw head exposed). I used a strong gorilla epoxy and placed the nail on the screw flat so it was making solid contact.

Before I applied the epoxy, I configured a set up that would hold everything in place and I let it throughly dry for like 36 hours. Actually I tried gorillla glue first and it didn’t work and then I tried the epoxy but only for like 2 hours but that didn’t work and then finally I let it cure for like 2 days and it worked. I spun it right out by twisting the nail epoxied to the screw head but it is a project of millimeters.

If that doesn’t work, cut it with a dremmel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tsyeo4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
Maybe a simple rare earth magnet might do the trick when removing the screw with a scredriver. If it is able to turn without removal, could be possible that the screw thread broke half way inside the link on either sides. Or if you are lucky the person installed the wrong screw size into the link.

Reactions: Ernesteka

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Worse case scenario, cut the strap off and cut away the rubber, so you will now have only pin. Then use pliers and see if you can slide it out since you have grip. If not then perhaps cut the pin?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Maybe a simple rare earth magnet might do the trick when removing the screw with a scredriver. If it is able to turn without removal, could be possible that the screw thread broke half way inside the link on either sides. Or if you are lucky the person installed the wrong screw size into the link.

That doesn’t work. At least it didn’t in my case. It was uselesss.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You might be able to get a thin screwdriver between the rubber and clasp and work it out. Another option is apply gentle sideways pressure while turning the screw might give enough grip to get it worked out.

Ernesteka

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
First of all thank you for the effort and your answers. This is very kind from you all.

I will try first to set aside the rubber part and then use a small plier to try to screw/pull it out.

But I bought some Gorilla Epoxy as well. I was very surprised that you can buy Gorilla Glue in Germany as well. There are lots of importers on eBay. :D

I was wondering what will happen, when I get the screw out and install the correct size rubber strap. How can I install it on the metal segment? Maybe simply glueing the screw back in for a permanent solution?

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
First of all thank you for the effort and your answers. This is very kind from you all.

I will try first to set aside the rubber part and then use a small plier to try to screw/pull it out.

But I bought some Gorilla Epoxy as well. I was very surprised that you can buy Gorilla Glue in Germany as well. There are lots of importers on eBay. :D

I was wondering what will happen, when I get the screw out and install the correct size rubber strap. How can I install it on the metal segment? Maybe simply glueing the screw back in for a permanent solution?

Buy a new clasp or that link part. If the pin/screw come off during wear and is not sitting inside the clasp (depends how you sized it) your watch can simply come off.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

lrnz

27/1/17
EU
i had a similar problem on a ss bracelet.. i noticed that at certain angles, unscrewing the screw applying side pressure ( NOT DOWN ) the screw would unscrew for a fraction of a mm. Then, using extremely fine tweezers, i managed to grip what was poking out of the link, and, tried to pull it out with the tweezers while still trying to unscrew it by moving the tweezers. Took me more than 1 try, probably 30 minutes, but at the end it worked.
Anyway, since you'll need a new link because the thread of it is probably f'd up, have a look if you can find one, because if you can't, you will need to buy the whole clasp.
No point to try to unscrew the screw then, as you'll be ditching the whole band anyway

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

Personally I'd go this route....put a small dab of glue on the threads. As it's drying you can loosen and tighten it once or twice and odds are you will be able to unscrew it down the road if needed.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I’ve had that same problem with a yachtmaster a while back. That screw is VERY odd. It doesn’t scree completely out but I’ve had it pop out half the way many times. One day, I was able to get some locktite in there before I was able to screw it back down.

Tbh, I don’t even think it’s a screw. It’s just there.. I could never screw it out or screw or completely in either.

Next time it pops out a bit, put a drop of locktite in there and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk