• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Learning the basics. Rolex osyter bracelet link removal.

Goon3r

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/20
UK
Hi everyone,

I've recently picked up an ARF 116710LN and im looking to adjust the bracelet so it better fits my wrist.

Given lock down conditions and my want to learn i don't really want to take this to a shop and have the links removed by someone else. I wan't to give this a try myself.

Having watched a few videos on youtube etc i think i know roughly what im looking for in terms of tools and would love some recommendations/feedback on choices.

Screwdriver

The oyster screws are 1.6mm i think?

Found these 2 options, any recommendation/preferred or alternate choice

Horotec: https://www.eternaltools.com/horotec...s-screwdrivers
Bergeon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watchmakers.../dp/B000E8FX3M

Spingbar Tool

This is one i'm struggling with, i either see £100+ bergeon tweezers or £10 non discript ebay ones?​

Is there a recommended middle ground? Relatively cheap/reliable tool?​

Threadlocker

It seems the goto is Loctite 222

Loctite 222 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Scr...dp/B002T8YLLKS

Any others, or is this the one?​

Lastly, if anyone thinks im being ripped off in any of these links please shout! I dont know how much these tools should be costing.

Also if there is anything tools/workstation wise you think i've missed let me know? Gloves etc, anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Hi everyone,

I've recently picked up an ARF 116710LN and im looking to adjust the bracelet so it better fits my wrist.

Given lock down conditions and my want to learn i don't really want to take this to a shop and have the links removed by someone else. I wan't to give this a try myself.

Having watched a few videos on youtube etc i think i know roughly what im looking for in terms of tools and would love some recommendations/feedback on choices.

Screwdriver

The oyster screws are 1.6mm i think?

Found these 2 options, any recommendation/preferred or alternate choice

Horotec: https://www.eternaltools.com/horotec...s-screwdrivers
Bergeon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watchmakers.../dp/B000E8FX3M

Spingbar Tool

This is one i'm struggling with, i either see £100+ bergeon tweezers or £10 non discript ebay ones?​

Is there a recommended middle ground? Relatively cheap/reliable tool?​

Threadlocker

It seems the goto is Loctite 222

Loctite 222 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Scr...dp/B002T8YLLKS

Any others, or is this the one?​

Lastly, if anyone thinks im being ripped off in any of these links please shout! I dont know how much these tools should be costing.

Also if there is anything tools/workstation wise you think i've missed let me know? Gloves etc, anything.

Thanks!
You will probably just need a 1.6mm screwdriver for an oyster bracelet. I suggest you get a good one but getting quality doesn't mean spending a lot of money.

I find, for Rolex you really only need a 1.2mm or 1.6mm screwdriver so I just ordered those two specific bergeron screwdrivers off Amazon. They were like $20 ea. You're probably going to see a lot of people suggest to invest in a good screwdriver and I agree with that 100%. Those cheap 99 cent screwdrivers suck and a $20 1.6mm screwdriver will serve you well and be well worth it.

However I will say, the best screwdriver in my arsenal for watches is this husky (home depot brand) 1.5mm little screwdriver. It was the smallest that came in a 5 piece micro set for like
Even if you order the bergeron screwdrivers 1 at a time as you might need them, no need ot spend $150 on a set so you have access to 1 screwdriver. I suggest buying the 1.6mm and when you get a jubilee, order the 1.2mm driver.

Aldo, as far as spring bar removal, I got this... Again around the $20 mark and it works great.

Bergeon 6767-F Watch Spring Bar Tool - Long Stainless Steel Handle with Replaceable Screw In Fine Tool End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IZT8R2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_zK9WEbSM0RSVK

But just use a lite painters tape on the underside of the lugs until you get adept with it. It works fine and I have never had a basic job It couldn't handle. (for removing spring bars.

I don't think you really need loctite for your bracelet though. I will say, sometimes arf uses loctite and the links and divers extensions are a motherfucker to get off. But you don't need it to screw back in imo. Just hand tightening should be sufficient. On occasion, (on one watch actually, I dipped the tip of the link screw in clear nail polish and it held perfectly but this measure was precautionary.

The screws should come out pretty easily to remove links. If you do find that the link screw doesn't come out easily... Stop. And report back.

You don't want to start stabbing and scraping and twisting at the link screw repeatedly. You will scratch the bracelet and strip the screw head. Again, sometimes arf likes the loctite a little too much. I am coming to the realization - after many mistakes that any time you're working on a watch and use force, it's not going to work out well.

However, when you're done and when you sized it, check all the other screws to make sure they're tight.
53b49c6baed8131c25b47e6ce501ae63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tione12 and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You will probably just need a 1.6mm screwdriver for an oyster bracelet. I suggest you get a good one but getting quality doesn't mean spending a lot of money.

I find, for Rolex you really only need a 1.2mm or 1.6mm screwdriver so I just ordered those two specific bergeron screwdrivers off Amazon. They were like $20 ea. You're probably going to see a lot of people suggest to invest in a good screwdriver and I agree with that 100%. Those cheap 99 cent screwdrivers suck and a $20 1.6mm screwdriver will serve you well and be well worth it.

However I will say, the best screwdriver in my arsenal for watches is this husky (home depot brand) 1.5mm little screwdriver. It was the smallest that came in a 5 piece micro set for like
Even if you order the bergeron screwdrivers 1 at a time as you might need them, no need ot spend $150 on a set so you have access to 1 screwdriver. I suggest buying the 1.6mm and when you get a jubilee, order the 1.2mm driver.

Aldo, as far as spring bar removal, I got this... Again around the $20 mark and it works great.

Bergeon 6767-F Watch Spring Bar Tool - Long Stainless Steel Handle with Replaceable Screw In Fine Tool End https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IZT8R2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_zK9WEbSM0RSVK

But just use a lite painters tape on the underside of the lugs until you get adept with it. It works fine and I have never had a basic job It couldn't handle. (for removing spring bars.

I don't think you really need loctite for your bracelet though. I will say, sometimes arf uses loctite and the links and divers extensions are a motherfucker to get off. But you don't need it to screw back in imo. Just hand tightening should be sufficient. On occasion, (on one watch actually, I dipped the tip of the link screw in clear nail polish and it held perfectly but this measure was precautionary.

The screws should come out pretty easily to remove links. If you do find that the link screw doesn't come out easily... Stop. And report back.

You don't want to start stabbing and scraping and twisting at the link screw repeatedly. You will scratch the bracelet and strip the screw head. Again, sometimes arf likes the loctite a little too much. I am coming to the realization - after many mistakes that any time you're working on a watch and use force, it's not going to work out well.

However, when you're done and when you sized it, check all the other screws to make sure they're tight.
53b49c6baed8131c25b47e6ce501ae63.jpg

Really excellent advice bro, well done!

Reactions: Tione12

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Hazing huge appreciation for your post!

Having read your post i've landed on the following
I wanted to get a tweezer spring bar tool as it seemed easier to use, but looking at the price of the bergeon eddition i'll have to learn with the one you've got it!

It seems like the big one here is not to force any of the screws and get alot of painters tape whilst im learning!

Really apprecaite the adivce, will look to buy these tools within the coming week and start the journey.. hopefully this first run doesn't leave me (or the watch) too scarred.

Ill post updates when i order the tools etc

Thanks again bro, appreciate it

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Can't go wrong bor. But if you're looking to give it a go, adjusting a bracelet shouldn't be to difficult. If you don't want to wait for an Amazon deliver, pick up the little one at home depot.

It's not difficult to do. It really is as simple as turning a few screws. I'm always shocked when someone doesn't havea micro screwdriver but even more so, I'm shocked by the number of people who don't know how to use a screwdriver. (I'm not saying you - I'm just saying in general) but if you can use one, you'll be fine.

I only express caution because I've been there. I'm excited and I get the watch or the screwdriver and I rip open the package and start hacking at it in my car and it becer works out.

Get yourself home on a flat, well lit surface and just go slow and steady. It's not a
Wood and you're not framing a house, using a screw that is going to be buried. Just try to get a nice steady bite of the screw head with the tip and it should be simple.

When I first started I hacked up every watch I adjusted an d that irritated me so much.

But you have the right idea and right mentality. Patience. Wait for the right tools to come in.

Just goes to show - that excitement that I mentioned. It's your watch and I'm over here with the "don't wait. Do it now" advice. There's no rush especially whole wree in lock down. No rush to adjust a watch just to wear it around the house. Lol.

Now I'm just rambling.

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Hazing the only micro screwdriver i've ever owned came out of a cracker hahaha, theres no chance im putting that near my watch! I've always tinkered with computer internals etc aswell so luckily i have some minor skills with a screwdriver, i dont fall into the camp of not knowing how to use one haha!

I'll wait for the amazon order as it seems those tools are quality and yeah dont worry this ain't seomthing i'll be trying on my lab, it'll be straight to my desk. I've got a black wood desk so hopefully if any little screws/pins ping off somewhere they'll be quite easy to spot!

I think what i might do is, i've got that broken U1 factory (? i think thats what you said it was) gmt on an oyster, i can have a mess around with that first so i don't (hopefully) end up scratching up the ARF bracelet.

Rambling aside, appreicate your advice as always bro ;)

oascom any links on recommended stones etc?

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
For extremely tight screws on the links, get a hollow ground screwdriver.

7bd1c0061ddf944bbf3d3f355b8504cc.jpg

It will give you the maximum purchase within the slot and you won’t end up stripping the screw head. That might happen with a regular screwdriver, and if the head is stripped, that’s quite the problem sometimes.

Reactions: Hazing

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
thanks thorne having a look i dont think the bergeon screwdriver i was planning on buying is hollow ground, do you have any recommendations?

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
thanks thorne having a look i dont think the bergeon screwdriver i was planning on buying is hollow ground, do you have any recommendations?

Horotec.

For Rolex sports models I think you need the 1.7mm, you can get em at Esslinger.

Last edited:

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
I was originally looking at horotec screwdrivers. As im in the UK so i cant get them from Esslinger, unless i want to pay $50 shipping!

I've found them sold separetely in the UK but they have different series numbers numebrs:
- https://www.esslinger.com/individual-horotec-t-shape-scewdrivers/ - MSA 01.207
- https://www.eternaltools.com/horotec-watchmakers-screwdrivers - MSA 01.201

Can't tell in the pictures on the UK site wether they are also hollow ground. It's obvious with the diagrams on Esslinger that the 01.207's are, cant be certain about those available on the uk site.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Don't forget to put a tea towel or similar on the desk, it's amazing how a tiny screw can fall 3 inches and the bounce 32 feet into oblivion

Reactions: balance27

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
hahaha yep Spitfire63 some of the videos i've watched have all recommended putting a towl or something down, appreciate the advice!

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
I was originally looking at horotec screwdrivers. As im in the UK so i cant get them from Esslinger, unless i want to pay $50 shipping!

I've found them sold separetely in the UK but they have different series numbers numebrs:
- https://www.esslinger.com/individual-horotec-t-shape-scewdrivers/ - MSA 01.207
- https://www.eternaltools.com/horotec-watchmakers-screwdrivers - MSA 01.201

Can't tell in the pictures on the UK site wether they are also hollow ground. It's obvious with the diagrams on Esslinger that the 01.207's are, cant be certain about those available on the uk site.

Perhaps write to them and ask?

Maybe Cousins might have them?

The Bergeon regular driver size is 1.6mm, while the Horotec hollows are 1.7mm if I remember right. I remember reading that up on TRF.

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Perhaps write to them and ask?

Maybe Cousins might have them?

The Bergeon regular driver size is 1.6mm, while the Horotec hollows are 1.7mm if I remember right. I remember reading that up on TRF.

Found them on Cousins. Website likes very trade orientated, any repercussions for order for personal use from there do you think?

Also, it seems theres only 1.6mm and 1.8mm sizes, probably going to go 1.6mm, what do you think?

Don't forget a cheap bracelet holder, really helps to support and keep the bracelet upright

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Bra...gAAOSwHxVW7T4S
Day
up the Arsenal!

That seems like a very useful purchase, i’ll be grabbing one of them also. Thank you!

Always nice to meet a fellow gunner, i will have to get myself back to the emirates once the season kicks off again!

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Just put your first name then second name then watches at the end as your company name. Thats what i do for cousins. Bear in mind you cannot (without spending £200+ on a sharpening tool) keep the sloped shaped drivers sharp. Speaking from experience, i bought my horotec screw drivers one at a time and ended up paying more than a set. With no stand. If you see yourself as a perpetual tinkerer, its worth getting the 6 set of horotec screw drivers with the nice red stand. For sharpening you need an oil/india stone and the little thing with 2 bearings and a bar joining them. I went for a cheap sharpening jig off ebay for about £5.

while your on cousins, worth picking up a set of these for the small amount they cost
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/st...el-set-of-4-wc

heres the screw driver set i referred to, plus its arsenal red ;)
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ho...steel-6-pieces

Last edited:

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
You don't really need a springbar tool to remove the bracelet from the watch head for this procedure. I find removing and re-installing metal bracelets to be a big headache. Just start removing screws while the bracelet is on its side, with the watch head on.
Of course if you want to pick up a springbar tool for leather straps, that's a different situation.

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Just put your first name then second name then watches at the end as your company name. Thats what i do for cousins. Bear in mind you cannot (without spending £200+ on a sharpening tool) keep the sloped shaped drivers sharp. Speaking from experience, i bought my horotec screw drivers one at a time and ended up paying more than a set. With no stand. If you see yourself as a perpetual tinkerer, its worth getting the 6 set of horotec screw drivers with the nice red stand. For sharpening you need an oil/india stone and the little thing with 2 bearings and a bar joining them. I went for a cheap sharpening jig off ebay for about £5.

while your on cousins, worth picking up a set of these for the small amount they cost
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/st...el-set-of-4-wc

heres the screw driver set i referred to, plus its arsenal red ;)
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ho...steel-6-pieces

Goon3r watches it is haha!

Buy sloped drives you mean the non hollow ground right? I'm only planning on getting hollow ground for the time being so should hopefully be able to do with the sharpening tool yet.

Again, i currently only have oyster bracelets at home, so i guess i wont need mean than the one screwdriver for a long time, will consider a set if i ever i get to that stage though. Who knows, i could try this adjustment.. hate it, and never look at these tools ever again haha!

Added those tweezers to the basket, thanks for the advice!

You don't really need a springbar tool to remove the bracelet from the watch head for this procedure. I find removing and re-installing metal bracelets to be a big headache. Just start removing screws while the bracelet is on its side, with the watch head on.
Of course if you want to pick up a springbar tool for leather straps, that's a different situation.

Im looking to a get a spring bar tool for the 'ez lock' system on the GMT's bracelet, i forgot exactly what its called, but you can do minor adjustment on the bracelet without moving any links with it. It needs a spring bar tool to move it though.

Dont worry no intention of removing the bracelet entirely!

Thanks for the adivce though

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Goon3r watches it is haha!

Buy sloped drives you mean the non hollow ground right? I'm only planning on getting hollow ground for the time being so should hopefully be able to do with the sharpening tool yet.

Again, i currently only have oyster bracelets at home, so i guess i wont need mean than the one screwdriver for a long time, will consider a set if i ever i get to that stage though. Who knows, i could try this adjustment.. hate it, and never look at these tools ever again haha!

Added those tweezers to the basket, thanks for the advice!

Im looking to a get a spring bar tool for the 'ez lock' system on the GMT's bracelet, i forgot exactly what its called, but you can do minor adjustment on the bracelet without moving any links with it. It needs a spring bar tool to move it though.

Dont worry no intention of removing the bracelet entirely!

Thanks for the adivce though

If you look on the individual screw drivers on cousins they have the tradition v shaped ones and some with curves on them. If your literally getting it just to do bracelets and probably wont ever sharpen it, get the more expensive one with the curved angles. You’ll get better purchase on the screws with less marking. 1.6mm will be fine but they come in 0.1mm increments so go nuts. They call them parallel blades.
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/horotec-stainless-steel-parallel-blades