• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken 16610 Bezel blocked by the crown

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Why not just message tripdog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Contrary to what most people think, you do not need to apply 600ft/lb of torque to a watch crown to make the watch water resistant - screw the crown down and once it's seated - i.e. you feel that it has lightly compressed the gasket, you give it a 1/4 turn, at most.

Screwing it down 'to the max' just crushes and damages gaskets . If your gasket is crushed the crown will screw down further than it is supposed to, so replace the gaskets inside the crown & tube.

montros

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
14/1/19
Hi
ok ! now i'm looking for a gen crown and tube because I tested it and the some water got inside (pretty easily) so I will change both parts. The problem is compared to a gen one, it is impossible to turn the bezel without unscrewing the crown so maybe it's a part's problem.

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
It's a pretty nice looking build - do you have better pictures of the crown / bezel rubbing? The pics in the sales thread done show it clearly

tsyeo4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
wise words from tripdog. I seen people screw their crown all the way in until the tip of the winding stem broke nicely at the tip in the movement.

montros

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
14/1/19
Hi ! So yes I will send some photos ! Also if you know someone selling a gen crown and case tube please pm me thx !

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
It looks like a ST case with the crown guards recessed a bit to not look too stubby, which is definitely a must for ST cases. You could also shave a little bit off of the crown teeth.

I mean, it’s supposed to be a 40 year old watch. The crown teeth shouldn’t be that sharp. I never understood why people leave a rep crown looking perfectly new on their vintage pieces while the rest of the watch looks like it’s been dragged at the bottom of the lake in Chernobyl.

That should help get that issue resolved a little.

Working on a similar build right now and did the same. Recessed the crown guards a bit (I don’t think it’s that much but very close).... and then a tube snapped right off so now I have to re-tap it. Never had to do that before so this should be an adventure. Either that or I’ll just sell it, as much as I’d hate to get rid of a ST case.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk