• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Australian watchmaker, rep friendly!

JustWandering

18/9/16
I've gone around to a few watchsmiths in the CBD in Melbourne and they have either told me they won't work on them cos they 'can get parts for replica watches' or that 'it's not worth your money servicing and doing waterproofing on them' .... hunt continues for a local bricks and mortar rep friendly watchsmith.
Dawson's Jewellers & Watchmakers in Moorabbin.
Ask for Rob.
Their shop is only open 4x days a week.

Sent from the RWI App

chimp_king13

Known Member
5/5/17
@JustWandering thanks!! What work have they done for you?

Do they do the full gammut of watch stuff? Like waterproofing, dial and hand replacement, lubing of the rotor (Spectre rotor spins like a spinner) and I guess general servicing of Miyotas and Asian clone movements.

JustWandering

18/9/16
@JustWandering thanks!! What work have they done for you?

Do they do the full gammut of watch stuff? Like waterproofing, dial and hand replacement, lubing of the rotor (Spectre rotor spins like a spinner) and I guess general servicing of Miyotas and Asian clone movements.
Rob serviced a 7750 movement on a AP ROO for me , fixed a chrono that wasn't working and has done some minor tactical stuff. Drop in and show him the watch - he will be honest about what he can do.

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

Oh wow, yeah that definitely sounds reasonable! Cheers, mate!

theshape

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/6/16
Got the bloke from Tick Tock in garden City WA to regulate my noon crpo . Charged me $15 . He was cool with rep movements (as long as they are swiss clones)

dharuma

Horology Curious
11/11/15
another thumbs up for Marrickville,
Rob has sorted a few of my watches and I couldn't be happier with his service.

D

d4m.test

got my first (faulty) rep for a steal, hoping that the guy i take my gens to here in Perth is willing to poke around this v7 noob gmt master ii i got from overseas.

hour hand won't move past the 10-11 when winded to 22-23hrs and the date wheel has jammed. i'm hoping it's a simple reassembly of the keyless works as google suggested.

in the event my usual guy won't do it, and i have a sinking feeling he won't because he's made quite a name for himself here in perth just servicing gens and authenticating vintage watches, is Kong in canning vale the only other option? Are there other brick and mortars available? Tempted to contact the guys from the horological and watchmakers association of WA...

D

d4m.test

I have a very good news for you MauiDave. We do have rep friendly watchmaker here in Perth.:thumbsup: His name is Glen from Watchwise at London court, St. Gorgeous Tce End on second level.

I did have a brief chat with him while I had some minor mod done for my BP sea-dweller and asked him about regarding movement servicing, regulating and most importantly modding watches. He said its really depend on cases as he is OK with those high end replica watches servicing and have no issue with that. He also has no problem doing with bolt on modding i.e swap dial and hands, crown, crystal, bracelet, etc swap. I doubt that he would interested in those extensive modding tho. Well from my experience (IMO) he is really a nice guy and very helpful and also he is aware that I would tell about him in this forum.

should've read through this thread more thoroughly, boy am i glad to hear this! Glenn is a great guy. I went to him for the first time to service a vintage seamaster 30, got my speedy serviced subsequently and he was willing to check if a explorer 14270 that i blind bought was authentic for free. I was actually referring to him in my previous response, and i've sent him an email since but this is great reassurance :)

beefstockcube

Known Member
4/1/17
another thumbs up for Marrickville,
Rob has sorted a few of my watches and I couldn't be happier with his service.

When was the last time you spoke to him?

I've messaged and text a few times with no response. I have a pile of AP's that all need work.

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

sent an email to Glenn and he normally responds in under 24hrs, i gave him the benefit of time, but still no reply to my email from 6 days ago. Seems uncharacteristic of him to not respond at all.

mjmj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
3/11/09
I’ve dealt with Glenn and yes he will work on good reps. Give him a call or pop into his shop to ask him what you need.

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Im in Brissy boys. I send mine to Marickville in Sydney. Experience has been fair...

The good: Excellent for service any ETA based movements - price in that regard is good too.

The mixed: I will send my watches overseas to get modded from now on however. To his credit he always owned up to any problems - however I had to consistently send my watched back to him. My Hulk had to be re-done three times

Keep that in mind if you are thinking of doing complex work on your watches

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Im in Brissy boys. I send mine to Marickville in Sydney. Experience has been fair...

The good: Excellent for service any ETA based movements - price in that regard is good too.

The mixed: I will send my watches overseas to get modded from now on however. To his credit he always owned up to any problems - however I had to consistently send my watched back to him. My Hulk had to be re-done three times

Keep that in mind if you are thinking of doing complex work on your watches

Sent from my iPhone using RWI
Cheers for the info...I was maybe thinking of a mod project swapping out a date wheel on a Breitling avenger cobra dial, but not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole without a good smith. Cheers from the Northside

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Cheers for the info...I was maybe thinking of a mod project swapping out a date wheel on a Breitling avenger cobra dial, but not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole without a good smith. Cheers from the Northside

Oh by modding I mean, cutting up dials, rethreading tubes, re-shaping guards etc...

Swapping a datewheel will be easier than doing a movement service matey. So I would send away (unless it needs further work done - then I would recommend someone else)

It didn't have to travel long either, I'm up on the north side too :D