• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Franken 1500 adventure

Voo-doo

22/7/19
deadpan Shit :p that seems like a lot of work, and headache haha. Will probably be a couple months until I will get over it to actually do the work haha bummer

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Sometimes there is not enough clearance for those tabs to catch in the case...if that happens you need to modify the movement ring (file notches so the tabs can grab)

Also be careful, once you get the movement tight in the case, the dial and movement will be compressed together a lot more...if the clearance is small already for the DWO, it may rub on the bottom of the dial. I have had that happen on my 1675 GMT build and the date would not "flip" properly. I ended up using a taller dial spacer. Just food for thought....

And sometimes there isn’t any ‘lip’ for the tabs to lock onto in the inside of the case....in which case you need to create some with a dremmel.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
deadpan Thanks, will read the entire thread later. Where can I get them and are they movement specific or general parts?
Specter1000 that's like one of my biggest fears :p but it sounds logical. I hope that doesn't happen. Is dial spacer the same as a movement ring? And if not, how can I get one for this movement case combination? Do I just need to measure it?

Movement tabs are available online in various lengths. Dial spacer is different to a movement ring.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
ah yeah off course, dial spacer is the ring between the movement and the dial on the upper side.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
deadpan Thanks, will read the entire thread later. Where can I get them and are they movement specific or general parts?
Specter1000 that's like one of my biggest fears :p but it sounds logical. I hope that doesn't happen. Is dial spacer the same as a movement ring? And if not, how can I get one for this movement case combination? Do I just need to measure it?

There must be different "height" dial spacers for ETA. I happen to have had one that was a bit taller than normal...I believe 1.1mm. I am not sure if those taller ones are specific to 2836 or not, I just know I had about 7 or 8 spacers and only one at this 'extra' height. It worked like a charm, date wheel clears now no problem.

If you go that route, remember if you are adding anything between where the stem goes into the movement and the dial (like a dial spacer) you need to check your stem to make sure it goes through the crown tube without being forced or bent.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
deadpan I just found out that I have the movement tabs :p haha. I ruined one that day because I thought that it was a part for something else. But I will give it a shot. The tab seemed too 'big' or maybe I have to bend it the right way so it will fit, couldn't get the screw to hold so I will try it again. Hope that I don't have to Dremel the case because that slightly scares me :p

Will keep you guys posted ;) !

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Another problem ...

I ordered the rlx crown for the 34mm case but he just confirmed that it is only for his 34mm case not for the original ... the tube is too small to just screw in the case :ninja: so that is going to be a problem.
What are the options? If I will buy a gen crown will that one take the stem of the ETA 2824?

Ordered the raffles crown for the cost reduction. In that way I could keep looking for a gen on the bay...

Bit lost here .. :ninja:

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Oke had some time today to check some of the options but faced some more problems :p

1. The crown and the tube. I ordered a gen today. Just not going to work, period. The only question im having now is how im going to make the stem screw on to the crown. Or did you guys just recommend #glue?

2. The movement ring which im using (raffles 34mm Tudor) is not going to work I guess. I used a file to make room for the screws to fit, that worked a bit but also the stem height gets blocked. Also the tabs don't grab ( I keep telling myself that this is because of the movement ring ... I hope that its the case actually). Im praying that I don't have to create a hole in the case for the tabs to grab. That shit frightens me ...

I wanted to order the Helenarou movement ring. I read that this is 0.02 mm larger which provides some tightness. The raffles one feels really loose. But the order doesn't seem to process. I will try again tomorrow. Anyone knows where to but this movement ring other than the helenarou website?

Greeetzzzzz

Voo-doo

22/7/19
ZWYic1.jpg

ZWYqC4.jpg

ZWYomj.jpg

Today's result ...

Tried to attach the movement with the tabs but without the ring ... Got the tip from a Redditor who did the same mod to test the grip. Well it grabbed .. ordered the helenarou movement ring so will be waiting on that.

Voo-doo

22/7/19

oke ... So in really close throwing the whole damnd thing out of the window????

This is today's progress. I received the last parts. I was still waiting for the crown and the new movement ring. So the movement ring did the job. It squeezed the movement onto the case and it holds it well. The only thing I still need to adjust. Is the dial. It's not 100% straight. This is a hard thing to do because I used dial dots and the dial moves over de movement

The crown on the other hand is a different story. I bought another crown. This time a generic Rolex crown. The problem which I'm facing is that it doesn't screw in untill the end. You can see it in the pictures but after this point it stops. I'm not sure what to do here because I don't want to force it.

Do you guys think this is because of the crown being a generic crown and will a genuine crown solve this problem?

Just don't start a date build????

trailboss99 is it possible to unblock my account? I received something like a partial ban last year. Have been here for a year since and behaved well ;) I miss the full forum experience because a lot of pages ( even my own profile and the search section ) show that I'm not authorized to view it. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 369mafia

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Maybe the stem is too long for the crown? Did you try if the crown screws in completely when you try without movement? If it does, you need to cut the stem a little bit. Sometimes the crown is not compatible wit the crown tube, it starts screwing in and then stops. That would be bad. You can cut a stem which is too long, but if the crown tube is not compatible with the crown, you have to replace one of the two.
The dial: it is more straightforward to glue the dial to the rmovement ring, or, if not present, to the movement directly. Use very fine drops of 5 minutes epoxy, maybe four of them, thats enough. You have then approx. Five minutes to move and align the movement before the epoxy settles. Take care to carefully clean and sand the areas where you put the glue, especially on the movement. I am using GC metal primer, but thats very expensive and not available to everybody. But befor doing this, check thoroughly that there will remain enough clearance for the datewheel with the overlay to move freely.
Another option is to use dial feet, you can use those which came off your gen. dial, screw them into the movement in a slightly protruded position, so that they stick out (only a little bit). It is important that the end is flat, if no, grind or sand it nicely flat. Then apply the 5 minutes epoxy to the pins, place the dial on the movement and let the glue settle,then loosen the screws and push the dial tight on the movement and fix it with the screws. Sounds challenging, but is really simple.
dont give up, take your time, it is very rewarding to wear a self-built franken with gen. case and dial.

Last edited:

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Thanks for the positivity Docrolex ! ;)

will try with the dial when i have the time.

Im not sure if i understand your note about the crown. Maybe I didnt wrote it correctly but i dont think that the crown is the problem but the tube. Because the tube doesnt screw in after a certain point, even with the crown off. At this point there is not even a stem inserted!!

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Ah i see, i wrote that the crown did go through earlier. What i meant was the tube :)

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Ok, that should be easy, but maybe not for you. You simply have to cut the thread in the case. Guess you dont have the necessary tool, i am not sure if I have one. But most straightforward would be: take the case and the tube to an experienced watchmaker, they have the tools, and it will take him just one minute to do. I am doing lots of fiddly things with my watches, but sometimes it is unevitable to ask for professional help. When it comes to cutting threads, removing broken or corroded pins from watchbands or clasps or repairs and service of movements, I take those parts to an old watchmaker hier in town and he fixes the things which are impossible to do for me within few minutes. He even enjoys to do those challenging tasks instead of changing batterys the whole day.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Haha noted!

I sent an email to the seller. The told me that he might have sent the wrong part over. So he is going to send me another. Hope that one will fit tightly!! If that doesnt work i will look for a watchmaker!!
Thanks for the idea ;) !

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Voo-doo just quote this message please so it will come up on my notifications to remind me. I do indeed remember you. I said I would review your time here and I will.

I am just sending this from my phone. I will get to it once I am back at a PC again.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Ok.. so in my search for a crown i found a smooth (looking) 1500 case with the crown already attached. As it seemed in good condition AND i had an offer for the crown+tube which was way more expensive than the case, i decided to order the case. I will receive it this afternoon en hope to finish this build today.

.... sooooooooo i have another case ..... :tumbleweed: I wonder what i will be doing with that :blink:
Although I decided to never (upcoming 6 months) do a mod with a DWO involved again I fooled myself once again. I thought i would use an Air-King dial for the next mod, not even sure if it will fit the 1500 case and the dimensions of the datewindow etc. are the same? But suddenly i bumped into a beautifull looking dial ... So we are at scratch again :)

Soon more ;)!

p.s. does anyone have interest in a short film of the DWO placement? In my search on the www i didn't find anything about how to place it. I might do it the wrong way but it seems quite straight forward; just glue the damn thing and allign the shit out of it? However I would also like feedback on it so i myself learn a little more :)

Happy hollidays

Voo-doo

22/7/19

Ok.. this is starting to become a never ending story.. so I think cut the stem too short and don't have a spare.

Also I can't get it in time setting mode. It seems like the stem is rubbing against the movement ring. I think I need to take it apart and shim some of the movement ring on that place with sand paper or a nail file or something.

Almost ready to throw it of the balcony ????