• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Franken 1500 adventure

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
bc1221 how is your date adventure going? Already started the build?

I wish I had started it. I haven’t had time lately. I wish I did for sure. Family members have having CVOID has been a nightmare.

Basically my plan is to get a DJ 36mm with a clone movement and replace that with a VR3135 because apparently, no factory sells a DJ36 with a VR3135 for some reason.

Mary is trying to source just the case for me so hopefully, that works out but she says it’s not easy to get just the case from most factories now.

Replace the dial with the Disney dial and get lug holes drilled and rehaut shaved to get rid of the engravings.

Relume the hands for patina and probably put a jubilee bracelet on it.

How’s yours going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Voo-doo

Voo-doo

22/7/19
I wish I had started it. I haven’t had time lately. I wish I did for sure. Family members have having CVOID has been a nightmare.

Basically my plan is to get a DJ 36mm with a clone movement and replace that with a VR3135 because apparently, no factory sells a DJ36 with a VR3135 for some reason.

Mary is trying to source just the case for me so hopefully, that works out but she says it’s not easy to get just the case from most factories now.

Replace the dial with the Disney dial and get lug holes drilled and rehaut shaved to get rid of the engravings.

Relume the hands for patina and probably put a jubilee bracelet on it.

How’s yours going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah that sucks man. I hope everyone is fine now!

​​​

I think that's a time saving option! Would go for it , think that it can be a nice build.

I just finished my gold dial 1500, give it to the fiance. I found another date case and a blue dial and going to give it another try. The first build had some rough edges which I want to perfect this time ( dial feet , dwo allignment, etc) hope this one will go well!! Oh and I have a DJ build in mind haha. But all the parts still have to come in. And we're moving to another apartment these months so I don't know if I'm going to have time lol

Voo-doo

22/7/19

Received the two movements yesterday. The selitta sw200.1 for the 1500 case and the 2836 for the datejust case.

The 2836 has a day disc. What do you guys usually do? Remove it or ...? In this way I won't be able to use dial dots right?

Any thoughts on the day disc?

Best wishes in this new year to all of you! :punk::cheese::cheerleader:

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Yes, I remove it.
Thanks!
So just remove the ring and pop of the wheel right? And do you need to out back the ring? And what about the stem positions ? Does that stay or is it possible to also fix that ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
So just remove the ring and pop of the wheel right?

Yes.

And do you need to out back the ring?

No.

And what about the stem positions ? Does that stay or is it possible to also fix that ?

The stem positions are controlled by the keyless works.
If you just remove the day wheel, it won't change anything with the stem because the day change is set to the same position as the date change.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Does anybody know if there are other gen Rolex crown and tube sets are compatible with the 1500 case? Am waiting for my third aftermarket crown for a month now but getting tired of it.. so wanted to know if the other series are compatible.

Some ads on eBay state something like: ROLEX Datejust Plexi 36mm 1600 1601 1602 16000 1500 Krone Crown Stahl Steel 6 m

Will make sourcing a gen crown and tube a bit more easy...

Thanks a lot

Voo-doo

22/7/19

So... I got the new tube. It seems to fit. I dont have the tool to turn it flush so have to fix that somehow.
however .... the crown which the supplier gave does not fit the tube. So hope he will come thru with a new crown.

However i would really appreciate a tip for which other gen tube crown sets will fit OR for an aftermarket crown tube which has proven its services.

This crown tube problem gives me quite alot of stress :(

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Whrer are you from? If yo were from Germany like me, I could send you a few crowns to try. But international would be too expensive, and conus impossible as it is illegal to import Rolex parts and watches to U.S. , only Rolex itself is allowed to.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Whrer are you from? If yo were from Germany like me, I could send you a few crowns to try. But international would be too expensive, and conus impossible as it is illegal to import Rolex parts and watches to U.S. , only Rolex itself is allowed to.

We are almost neighbors :wave: I'm from the Netherlands haha

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Hey guys.

I have a question about the height of the hands. In two of my recent 'builds' I notice that the hour hand seems really tight on the dial. The dial even got scratched in a circle while testing the hour hand. I used a dial spacer. Is there someway to prevent this or did I do something wrong ?

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Something else... I'm working on another 1500 date build and decided to go with the sellita sw200.1 for this one as I expected it to be the same as the ETA and was able to get one for a nice price. But from observing it looks like the date wheel sits a bit lower. On the eta everything is flat but the sellita the dw looks to sit a tad lower.

Is this correct or is it just my imagination? And how am I going to glue it if it sits lower than the middle part of the movement..

any suggestions?

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Hey guys.

I have a question about the height of the hands. In two of my recent 'builds' I notice that the hour hand seems really tight on the dial. The dial even got scratched in a circle while testing the hour hand. I used a dial spacer. Is there someway to prevent this or did I do something wrong ?

this is what I meant ... Goes straight through the heart :(

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Something else... I'm working on another 1500 date build and decided to go with the sellita sw200.1 for this one as I expected it to be the same as the ETA and was able to get one for a nice price. But from observing it looks like the date wheel sits a bit lower. On the eta everything is flat but the sellita the dw looks to sit a tad lower.

Is this correct or is it just my imagination? And how am I going to glue it if it sits lower than the middle part of the movement..

any suggestions?

Here's what I woul do :

1 - put the dial, with a dial spacer, on the Sellita movement
2 - check how low the date wheel sits from the backside of the dial

If it proves to be enough place then ...

3 - remove the dial and dial spacer
4 - temporarily stick the overlay on the date wheel using just 4 dial dots
5 - put the dial, still with spacer, back on the movement
6 - check if the overlay sit nicely under the dial, close but with space enough so that the DWO won't be scratched while turning

If everything looks OK then ...

7 - remove dial, spacer and DWO
8 - place again the DWO using enough dial dots so that the overlay sits flat on the date wheel ... that's when I'll take care of the DWO alignement
9 - place the dial on again
10 - check if all the date numbers are well aligned in the date window

If YES >>> ENJOY

If NO >>> go back to 7 and take better care while aligning the DWO ... etc ...

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Here's what I woul do :

1 - put the dial, with a dial spacer, on the Sellita movement
2 - check how low the date wheel sits from the backside of the dial

If it proves to be enough place then ...

3 - remove the dial and dial spacer
4 - temporarily stick the overlay on the date wheel using just 4 dial dots
5 - put the dial, still with spacer, back on the movement
6 - check if the overlay sit nicely under the dial, close but with space enough so that the DWO won't be scratched while turning

If everything looks OK then ...

7 - remove dial, spacer and DWO
8 - place again the DWO using enough dial dots so that the overlay sits flat on the date wheel ... that's when I'll take care of the DWO alignement
9 - place the dial on again
10 - check if all the date numbers are well aligned in the date window

If YES >>> ENJOY

If NO >>> go back to 7 and take better care while aligning the DWO ... etc ...

Thanks.

But how are you supposed to allign with dial dots? It doesn't leave much room for reallgning right ? Because it just sticks to one place

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks.

But how are you supposed to allign with dial dots? It doesn't leave much room for reallgning right ? Because it just sticks to one place
Use 2 low tack adhesive dots at 1 and 16/16 so that you can place, remove, place again, etc ... until every date is aligned with date window ...
Then add high tack dots at 6, 12, 21 and 26 ...

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Had a fun afternoon thanks to lawlessflyer !!
result isn't good but I had fun :p

Any clue what went wrong ? The result feels smooth with the hand but it's not mirror smooth for the eye haha

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Had a fun afternoon thanks to lawlessflyer !!
result isn't good but I had fun :p

Any clue what went wrong ? The result feels smooth with the hand but it's not mirror smooth for the eye haha

Hey man! The idea is to enjoy our wonderful hobby and you did just that! Nice shot for your first!

The reason behind them scrapes is that they needed to be brought down smoothing is grit paper by grit paper having smoother grip paper every step of the way until it looks like a polished surface, then the polish wheel is applied.

Ps: also note, that file is crazy teeth! Didn't need to go that heavy file. They have small (hobby files) available