• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacement screw for glidelock?

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
Hello,

I’ve managed to lose the screw that attaches the glidelock (Noob V7) to the bracelet. Does anyone know of a replacement source (maybe even a generic kit with lots of screw sizes etc)?

I searched for “glidelock screw replace” without success.

This isn’t the “usual” inner screw for the glide mechanism; it’s the last screw toward the bracelet.

Thank you.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
32e76a3ceaf8b577fdddfd509f0b6329.jpg

a84015a6326d2d6ff1c7532b67f9b089.jpg

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
It looks just like a link screw. I know the ones in that last link are often different because they’re slightly thicker and fatter than the other pins I the bracelet. It’s too bad, if you could measure it I might have a replacement for you but without measurements it’s just a long shot. Many decent watch shops should have a selection of screws too. You should be able to bring them the clasp and just ask for a screw. They probably charge you 5 or 10 bucks if you don’t have a relationship with them.

Which sucks because you can probably buy buy a kit for a few bucks more. The only hastle right now is a kit is going to take its time getting to you.

Also, in my experience, those kits tend to have every conceivable screw pin for links. With the exception of the 1 you happen to need at any given time.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
It is indeed a link screw but it's shorter than all the others. I'm going to brave the perils of my garage and unearth a caliper and measure the thing so I can post my best measurement of this particular screw, but I too fear getting 100 of the other, longer link screws and none of this one... Thanks for the tip also; I'll see about that caliper so I at least know what I'm up against. More soon!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Those screws are usually shorter because the threaded hole doesn't go right through the lug on the clasp, whereas links are drilled right through. I've had loads of fun and games trying to find correct screws for various rep modern oyster bracelets, as ARF/Noob/generic factories don't seem to use the same threads or sizes. So good luck CycleBuyer and I'm also interested to see recommendations like Kj2020's link.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
That's correct -- the screw is shorter. The link itself (so, the OUTER span) is 15.57ish or so mm across. The screw is therefore shorter than that, and it is thus different to the other link screws on the bracelet (in fact I suspect the thread is also different but am not sure). BEST ESTIMATE: it's a ~15.3mm screw.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
I see in the link provided by KJ2020, that kit has two candidates: an M1.1 (1.7X13.6), and an M1.2 (1.7X13). So, is the "M" part the pitch, and the "1.7" the head width and the "13.x" the screw length? And, whether it is or not, is there any way to sort out what to get short of ordering this from China? (The option to go to a watch store is on hold indefinitely due to the pandemic; this is helping keep my mind occupied meanwhile...). Thanks!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
The M designation is indeed the thread pitch 1.1 mm (fine thread) vs 1.2 mm (course thread)

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
Thanks for clarifying! OK that makes sense now. My plan is to hunt for screws >13.7mm length (roughly) and see what threads are available. It’s bound to be one of them (lol famous last words...).

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Please keep us updated with your progress mate! I'm also going to order both those options from China, so they can sit on a shelf with 150 other boxes of parts from China. One day I might use one part out of 10,000, that's if I haven't already forgotten I ever bought the bits...

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
Will do!

Another option I’ve been considering is buying a spare glide lock clasp. I see them on DHGate, for example, but don’t know if they’ll have the coroner as that would likely be photoshopped out of the advertisement image.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Insomnia really helps. Anyone bought from here? It might be an option for smaller lot sizes: https://www.startimesupply.com/merc...1E_Premium_Bands-parts-screw-SS&Product_Code=

Startime is designed for business professionals like jewellers and watchmakers. You have to have an account with them to be eligible to purchase. To get an account, you have to present proof of business credentials. Alternately, you can be a member of a watchmaker's organization, the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors (NAWCC). You can get an introductory membership in NAWCC for $30. Provide your member number to Startime to register an account. Make a purchase to activate your account. The account then remains permanent and you can let your NAWCC membership expire.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Mailed it to you today. Let me know if you need any help with it.

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
UPDATE:

diverdown60 graciously sent me a replacement gliding link with screw and end caps. This was fortunate, as there are (at least?) two different screw threads used by noob. Here are the two different screw threads next to a mm ruler.
a05894687b0fc256f9c26eeb0b202fad.jpg

Notice that these two screws, both from noob V7 clasps, are the same ~13,6mm length but are *not* interchangeable.