• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

a2836-2 date change problem - please help

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
So the date indicator driving wheel is functioning well (it is the spring loaded quick flip)...and the DWO seems to be aligned ok on the mainplate...calender spring is good.

so I would take the minute train bridge off (covers all the train over by the keyless...) and take a look on what is not working. For some reason the double corrector is not engaging the teeth on the date wheel....or something is holding it up.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The wheel circled in red is what activates the calendar wheel in quick set position. Either that wheel isn't in its groove or the keyless works has a problem needs to be reassembled.

keyless.jpg

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
actually, that double corrector is supposed to 'toggle' back and forth in a slot as you wind in one direction or the other...the minute bridge holds it in place...just loosen the screw on the minute bridge and see if the double corrector moves freely in the slot and see if the date will change.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
tripdog nailed it...same part I called out (I had to look on the ETA assy sheet for proper name)...but therein lies your issue.

Last edited:

reptastical21

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/3/20
Thanks guys, I will try to reassembly the keyless and see if losening the mainplate screw solves the issue...will update the thread if I manage to fix it.

reptastical21

25/3/20
actually, that double corrector is supposed to 'toggle' back and forth in a slot as you wind in one direction or the other...the minute bridge holds it in place...just loosen the screw on the minute bridge and see if the double corrector moves freely in the slot and see if the date will change.

so, without loosening the screw holding down the minute bridge, the double corrector moves freely back and forth as the crown rotates in both directions. There is something up with the double corrector, it does not seem to be engaging on thedate wheel. I reassembled the keyless just to make sure, still having the same problem....However, there is some good news....the date wheel engages without issues, but only after the hour and minute hands have been rotated past the 4 o'clock position.....not sure why this is happening...previously the date change would take effect regardless of where the minute and hour hands were located.....still tinkering. but this is the latest update. Thank you for all the guidance. If any more ideas come to mind, please advise!

Regards,

Reptastical

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
that happened to me once the double corrector had worn teeth , i had to replace it

reptastical21

25/3/20
Update: rebuilt the keyless, improved slightly, but still not 100% ....the date change position functions, but only when the hour and minute hands are past the 4 o'clock position...and even then, crown slips if it is not in a specific "sweetspot"....parts are probably just worn or bent from tinkering...but its semi-functional at least....I think I will just be buying a gen 2824 eta....problem solved, less headache. but this was good practice/learning for me at least. Thanks for the feedback to all who replied.

Reactions: KJ2020

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
you could try throwing another date wheel on there ...

reptastical21

25/3/20
did you try swapping the double corrector ?

I did, Sir. No luck there unfortunately. I have since set aside this repair project and am now scavenging the used gen markets to see if I can find any potentially interesting prices as a result of this whole covid19 pandemic. It seems that used gen values have dropped considerably, and this may be a rare opportunity to snag a watch or two at a good price. Currently looking at a Rolex 1603 w/ a sigma dial for about $2.000 (no box/papers) but 100% legit. Keeping fingers crossed as the deal has not yet been closed - and apologies for the completely random comment! but back to the thread topic - still has not been fixed; on hold for now!

Reactions: Raddave