• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CERAMIC INSERT REMOVAL GUIDE.

Audi_5k

Horology Curious
25/11/22
USA
Has anyone attempted to use boiling water to expand the bezel and hopefully have an easier time removing/installing the ceramic insert?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Has anyone attempted to use boiling water to expand the bezel and hopefully have an easier time removing/installing the ceramic insert?
For a press fit insert, stainless steel isn't going to expand enough to allow the insert to just fall out. And by the time it was cool enough to work on any benefit would be lost. Also there is risk of damage to marker fill.

For a double-sided taped insert, a soapy water soak is a technique to loosen the tape and release an insert. No boiling required.

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Yes, actually tried it and like KJ said, it has no effect.

But the method Oascom describes here works very good, just make sure you have the dies prepared / notched out.

Reactions: Audi_5k

RyanEdwards

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/7/22
Thanks for this info. I followed today after cracking by insert. Really appreciated.

Reactions: Oascom

unagi

God Luck and Good Speed
Patron
Certified
18/9/18
USA
Just finished machining up some press die prototypes for the gmt inserts removal. These are pretty similar to the Rolex ones. See how they go With testing

How did these work out for you? Thinking of making some myself.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
You welcome.

For everyone i will be selling full kit of specially designed insert dies for removal and installation.

For more.info shoot me a PM

Reactions: Endo

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
New GMT insert removal die available: