• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Old Noob getting some love today...

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Took it all apart to do a crystal swap...the V5 sits way too high. Bought a Clarks replacement with gasket. I've done a million mods, but first Rollie and my god it's so much different than anything I have ever worked on. So far, I have learned...DO NOT RUIN THE BEZEL GASKET! I bought some of fleabay, don't work....and...I find out KJ points that out as well. Mine is still usable. Decided to do some polish while I had it apart....

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Next...I did KJ's bezel insert mod...looks fantastic! The trick for me was to use a bit of thinner and do multiple layers.

Reactions: KJ2020

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The damn lume pip sapphire was not inserted properly...found out this was an issue on V5's and 6's. I think I might have screwed it up...so off to find a replacement. Of course Noob inserts are different than every one out there...geesh. This is never easy.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Decided to send m Clark's crystal off to DS Xtals for their clear coat...you save $50 if you send them your own...they will do one side, both, or black hole.

https://www.dsxtals.com

we'll see how it turns out!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
If I can't find a lume pip...I might try and use an aftermarket insert...I have a Noob insert on order now for 6 months...it appears that is going to fall through. I ordered one insert, paid a fortune, and in hand it sucks...even was recommended here on the forum! Anyway, I have some Carving inserts and they seem to be just about right...thickness and fonts. Probably not the best pip, but it can be replaced with better a/m ones. We'll see, always a work in progress.

Oh yeah, decided to do some work on the case with one of the springs in....the razor caught an edge and mangled the spring...damn...but, KJ to the rescue again, found a link to new springs on amazon....

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If your pearl cup is intact, you can just drop some lume and epoxy 1:1 mix into it. Fill it as much as it will take to make a dome without overflowing, let it cure and voila.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
While the Noob V5 sub sits...went back to my JB SMP. Oascom did an outstanding polish on it, but I hated the insert red on the number 50...plus, all the other numbers were looking a bit dull. So, of course the OCD in me took over and I had to wipe the whole insert clean...and being overly aggressive of course it cracked (and I knew it would happen). Once again, you can't find a decent one online. This one again cost me fortune but is too thin. Found a guy on aliexpress who claims to have the right thickness...so, I ordered it.

Man, I need another part time job to pay for this hobby!

Anyway, thought I would try and salvage the old insert. Tried super glue...that didn't work...so now it's epoxied with JB Weld.

(that Clark's crystal is stunning in this watch...the original has A/R on both sides and looks like crap after awhile...and I went through 2 of them)

Mav2000

10/1/19
More or less finished mine up recently. I also started with a noob V5 and added clarks crystal and one of the better LV inserts of ebay. Lots of work on the polish and it looks pretty good. The last thing I did was to get a new date overlay from raffles and it looks way better.

The clraks crystal does add a lot to the watch looks. The one it came with was too high to start with and just didnt make the dial pop. Mine is an LV by the way.

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
If I can't find a lume pip...I might try and use an aftermarket insert...

I have a Noob V7 pearl and cup (blue lume) if you want it for postage costs.

I also have an rep SMP ceramic insert with a crack like yours, you can have that too if you want.

Let me know bro.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
As I wait for Waspy's pearl...and the crystal to come back, decided to take the movement down. Holy crap! not one drop of oil anywhere except the balance!!!! Bone dry! The mainspring has no lube either!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Found a print here on RWI for a straight wall die to press the crystal retaining ring...first one I had a friend make did not work...too large diameter...so, I took my own dimensions and sent to him, and I think we have a winner!!!

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Decided to get back to the Noob sub today. Still waiting on my Dsxtal to come in. I contacted the owner, who runs the business as hobby, and the lab has been closed due to Covid, but he had xtals in stock, so I just opted to buy his. He said his sapphire is better than Clark's...so we'll see.

Anyway, there are a couple of threads talking about V5/6 Noobs having incorrectly installed lume pip sapphires...and I found out mine was no better. But, as it turns out, the sapphire is installed correctly, it's just made 'angled'. Not sure if this was on purpose or a mistake. So, I bought a new "Topwatch" sapphire, it fits perfect...lumed it up and now waiting for the lume to dry.
XRRL5.jpg

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Decided to lume up the sapphire and epoxy into place...turned out pretty darn good.

Last edited: