• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 388 has loose gasket or glue or... something, under crystal - how to gain access?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hi there RWI tech experts!

I posted this question in the Panerai section but they're all too cool and wealthy to work on their own watches, so I thought I'd re-post it here in the section for people who like DIY. :)

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by repeating the questions here. If I am, apologies to anyone who might be annoyed.

The thing is this... I need to investigate and remove/fix a small bead of... something - gasket, or glue, or filament, or whatnot, that's apparent just under the crystal here:

O9QeS.png

O9ltQ.png

Having decided to sell the PAM, I started taking some pics for a sale thread when I noticed this little problem. I don't want to try and sell the watch with the flaw, so I thought I'd sort it out. The issue was already there when I bought the watch M2M here a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't notice it in the seller's pics at the time, even though it could be seen clearly in them. Oh well...

So, to clarify how I could approach this - I either want to get the movement out and attend to the problem through the case, or alternatively remove the bezel and crystal and take a look at it (I'm assuming the bezel assembly is a press-fit). But as I've done neither of these things to this model or style of watch before, I would really appreciate any advice that I can get, before I go and arse it up.

I've tried a bit of tentative bezel prizing, using a razor (very carefully) but I don't want to give it too much welly in case the bezel isn't a push fit.

I've removed the caseback and taken a look. I found the layout confusing, compared to the Roleys I'm more used to breaking. There's a nicely turned outer ring - but how or whether I need to remove that to get at the movement tabs isn't obvious. And what looks like the movement tabs are too well buried to be easily accessible. I'm stumped...

OILBY.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Looks like the crystal gasket isn't pressed properly is my first impression. You'd probably have to remove and repress it....you might need a new gasket also if my impression is correct it's probably crimped.

Reactions: KJ2020

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Remove crown first, you need small screwdriver like size 50 or 60 and there is a button there to release it. And see if you can remove whole thing, I don't remember exactly but those decorated Movement are pain sometimes. Especially trying to find which screw is real or just glued on lol

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
And I see rubber gasket in there so it might be only caseback and crown holding it down. Try it and let us know

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Okies, cheers Rx4Time and oascom. I really appreciate you taking the time to gimme some ideas. Nice spot on the rubber gasket oascom - I didn't even notice that was there till you pointed it out! I'll see whether the movement just falls out once the crown's removed... :)

God knows where I'd get a gasket if it needs to be replaced - online information about these PAM models is scant to non-existent (aside from lifestyle magazine reviews)! Just measure it and go hunting for something that looks right, I guess.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well that was the easiest, fastest watch maintenance I've carried out to date!

The movement does indeed just drop out once the crown's removed. The incredibly thin piece of nylon lint wasn't part of a gasket as far as I could tell - I removed it with tweezers without having to pull or dislodge it at all - it was just a bit of "stuff" loose inside of the crystal, held by static or surface tension or osmosis or some other magic. Quick puff of the puffer on the dial and crystal interior, popped the case back on, slipped the crown back in with a little twist, and all is well again!

Thanks again Rx4Time and oascom for your invaluable advice, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Well that was the easiest, fastest watch maintenance I've carried out to date!

The movement does indeed just drop out once the crown's removed. The incredibly thin piece of nylon lint wasn't part of a gasket as far as I could tell - I removed it with tweezers without having to pull or dislodge it at all - it was just a bit of "stuff" loose inside of the crystal, held by static or surface tension or osmosis or some other magic. Quick puff of the puffer on the dial and crystal interior, popped the case back on, slipped the crown back in with a little twist, and all is well again!

Thanks again Rx4Time and oascom for your invaluable advice, much appreciated.

I'm glad it was a simple piece of lint. So much easier to deal with. Enjoy it!