• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Adding weight to a rep

Rukahs

Horology Curious
28/9/12
Hi all,

My black bay is slightly too light (I have the Gen too of the same watch). I was thinking of adding a small amount of very thin lead tape inside the case, around the movement. Obviously securing it down so it doesn't come loose and fault the rotor.

Anybody else every done or heard of any other ways?

Thanks

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
You can feel the difference of a few grams (ie a thin strip of lead)?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Adding weight to the caseback will probably makes the bracelet feel lighter and flimsier. Watch becomes too heavy and wears awkward

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Oascom

Rukahs

Horology Curious
28/9/12
Added a strip of lead tape all around the outer edge of the case, around the movement and I can confirm it now weighs exactly the same as the gen (I weighed them both on scales).

Rep now feels 1:1, same weight, no imbalance, no rattly bracelet. So thank you for your concern but it was unfounded without actually trying it yourself.

Reactions: Rwofsg

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I would think adding more weight to the rotor would be the best option but if the lead tape works, it works.

Not really sure why a few grams mad that much of a difference. If we’re talking blow, that makes a huge difference (lmao) but a watch, I wouldn’t bother tbh.

I’m with you on the rattly bracelets tho. That’s the one thing I hate about vintage subs. Those damn bracelets are annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rwofsg

Looking Around
31/1/23
Singapore
Added a strip of lead tape all around the outer edge of the case, around the movement and I can confirm it now weighs exactly the same as the gen (I weighed them both on scales).

Rep now feels 1:1, same weight, no imbalance, no rattly bracelet. So thank you for your concern but it was unfounded without actually trying it yourself.
Where did you get them from? And roughly how much weight have you increased.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Where did you get them from? And roughly how much weight have you increased.
If you have a good quality stainless steel replica then the weight is generally comparable to the genuine. If you have a gold replica then adding a strip of lead around the movement should there be enough room will not give enough of a weight increase to actually equal to genuine. I think the original poster had a low-end replica they were trying to increase the weight to make it feel more substantial.

Rwofsg

Looking Around
31/1/23
Singapore
If you have a good quality stainless steel replica then the weight is generally comparable to the genuine. If you have a gold replica then adding a strip of lead around the movement should there be enough room will not give enough of a weight increase to actually equal to genuine. I think the original poster had a low-end replica they were trying to increase the weight to make it feel more substantial.
I’ve a clean half Rootbeer but the weight still feels weird. 🤔

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The only part on the genuine that would be heavier than the replica is the bezel ( not significantly more) and center links. Adding weight to the head will make it top heavy, assuming you have enough clearance to add the lead tape, which I don't think you will. The genuine would have additional weight on the bracelet.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go

You can feel the ~5 grams of tape? Placebo is a hell of a drug
rick james cocaine GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Rx4Time